PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Question

Palanthos
2007-08-07, 11:49 PM
Okay, you may think us cheesy. Think what you will. Once you see my question, I won't blame you.

My gaming group is small. We only have three players, but our DM decided one day that he wanted to run the Shackled City campaign. During character creation, he announced that not only was he going to allow us to use the gestalt character generation rules AND the action point system, but that he was going to remove the restriction barring the pursuit of two prestige classes simultaneously.

My character has just hit 12th level, and advancement has gone thusly:

Level 1: Aasimar/Cleric of Heironeous (i.e., the +1 LA race accounts for half the level)
Levels 2-5: Cleric/Paladin
Level 6: Cleric/Fighter
Levels 7-11: Ordained Champion (CCh) of Heironeous/Kensai (CW)
Level 12: Cleric/Kensai

I fully intend to finish Kensai out, and I also intend to keep my cleric mojo going for as long as possible.

After level 15, though, Kensai tops out. Where do I go from there?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Snarky "omg you're munchkin" comments? Fire away. :D

Karsh
2007-08-08, 12:24 AM
Can't take two PrCs at the same time in gestalt. Illegal build.

Pay no attention to the failure to read the full post behind the curtain.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-08-08, 12:25 AM
Try... reading the post Karsh.

In any case, after kensai I wouldn't know where to go unless you give a direction you want to head.

Palanthos
2007-08-08, 12:32 AM
Try... reading the post Karsh.

In any case, after kensai I wouldn't know where to go unless you give a direction you want to head.

My character's the biggest combat monkey in the group, and I tend to focus on that aspect of the character because there's another cleric in the party. I'd like to be able to do more, but I honestly can't think of how I could get any better in combat without going into previously unexplored levels of cheese.

See, I KNOW that we're going to be fighting demons at the end of this thing. That make Knight of the Chalice tempting. But that'd just be over the top - Kensai sword's already Holy and Bane-Evil Outsiders. I'd be flirting with more than 300 hp dmg a round if I kept it in that direction, and I'd like for those last fights to actually be challenging.

I could take a couple levels of a ToB class, because they actually award characters for switching to them later. Adding Crusader or Warblade definitely wouldn't be bad.

I dunno.

Zincorium
2007-08-08, 03:17 AM
Crusader is an excellent mix for either cleric or Kensai, of course as a main combat character you want to get as much full BAB classes into your build as you can without sacrificing abilities.

What you're really looking at here are a base/Prc that's worth taking for 8 levels and a 5 level Prc. Crusader would definitely work as a base class, although the maneuvers may not be very useful as you're already high level.

Pious Templar (comp. divine) is an excellent Prc for a religious martial character, even if you never get a relic to use the True Believer feat with. Free weapon specialization, mettle, DR, full BAB, separate spellcasting progression, feats, and more. It also doesn't rely on a capstone ability, 8 levels would be fine. Only problem would be if you don't have a choice of feat, in which case it also worth taking 4 levels of after getting true believer at 15. If you don't have weapon focus in your diety's weapon already, I'm not sure what to tell you.

There are a few good prestige classes for full spellcasting, such as contemplative, but I didn't see any that capped at 5th, so you might find better choices elsewhere. Also, not sure what campaign setting (if any) shackled cities is part of, so there might be ones specific to that campaign that I haven't looked at.

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-08, 03:31 AM

Man, if I had a DM that let me take dual PrC progression, I'd def look for ways to break the hell out of it.

Zincorium
2007-08-08, 03:53 AM
Man, if I had a DM that let me take dual PrC progression, I'd def look for ways to break the hell out of it.

It's not hard, basically you just look for the most broken things possible and combine them, such as full spellcasting and artificer abilities.

That said, with some reasonably DM oversight and constraint, I've run gestalt games with dual Prc progression possible and it can work fairly well. Then again, as a DM I prefer capable PC's so I can send really cool monsters against them without worrying as much about inadvertent TPKs.

Swooper
2007-08-08, 08:11 AM
I'd be flirting with more than 300 hp dmg a round if I kept it in that direction, and I'd like for those last fights to actually be challenging. 300 damage a round too much? Pfeh. Between Stormguard Warrior, Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike, Pounce from LT Barb
and Shadow Blink I can do a Warblade build that does over 2k ON AVARAGE in a single round. I think a theoretical maximum damage multiple critical was around 6.5k. (Kaolins, if you read this: Don't worry, I'm not going to that extreme with Corian :smallwink:)

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. In any case, I'd suggest either Crusader or Warblade for that build. Beats most melee PrCs anyway.

selfcritical
2007-08-08, 09:02 AM
Okay, you may think us cheesy. Think what you will. Once you see my question, I won't blame you.

My gaming group is small. We only have three players, but our DM decided one day that he wanted to run the Shackled City campaign. During character creation, he announced that not only was he going to allow us to use the gestalt character generation rules AND the action point system, but that he was going to remove the restriction barring the pursuit of two prestige classes simultaneously.

My character has just hit 12th level, and advancement has gone thusly:

Level 1: Aasimar/Cleric of Heironeous (i.e., the +1 LA race accounts for half the level)
Levels 2-5: Cleric/Paladin
Level 6: Cleric/Fighter
Levels 7-11: Ordained Champion (CCh) of Heironeous/Kensai (CW)
Level 12: Cleric/Kensai

I fully intend to finish Kensai out, and I also intend to keep my cleric mojo going for as long as possible.

After level 15, though, Kensai tops out. Where do I go from there?

What books do you have access to?

Jack_Simth
2007-08-08, 03:48 PM
Try stacking Hierophant levels (loads of special abilities, but doesn't advance spellcasting) on one side with Cleric (or full caster progression PrC's; the Loremaster or Thaumaturgist come to mind) on the other.

Really, you're a Full Caster. How much more cheese do you need?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-08, 06:45 PM
Buy that +1 LA down or take the +0 Planetouched template.

If you can retweak the PC.

Warblade on one side with Pious Templar - 1 and ToB PRCs to taste.

Clericist of Heironeous (for the skill points and bardic knowledge) plus the PRC Paladin from the UA/D20 SRD for 3 - 5 levels which will end up giving you CL 18 or 19 at level 20 and all your current paladin abilities and more. Other PRCs to tase like Sacred Exorcist would be nice.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-08, 06:54 PM
Did he nerf the multiclassing rules?

If not, good luck ever getting any experience again. Ever. :D

Jack_Simth
2007-08-08, 07:01 PM
Did he nerf the multiclassing rules?

If not, good luck ever getting any experience again. Ever. :D

PrC's officially don't count, and he's only got three normal classes (Fighter 1, Paladin 4, Cleric 7). Assuming one of them is his favored class, he's only looking at a 20% XP penalty which, while not good, is workable.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-08, 08:01 PM
Snarky "omg you're munchkin" comments?You didn't fill in the gaps in your ordained champion spellcasting progression, so you aren't munchkin :p

You already have the divine might and holy warrior feat? (Piling on the damage bonuses.)

You should get some armor spikes to use with channel spell, it's the easiest way to be able to use your channeled spell effectively. It will have far less enhancement than your normal weapon (GMW helps though) but you can use it with smite so you will generally hit and do a lot of damage anyway, and you would only use it for the one attack and then switch back to your normal weapon. It's a far better alternative than either not having a channeled spell prepared ahead of time or having to blow it on the first mook you hit. Might as well make it a spell storing set of spikes while you are at it (ideally you would get an arcane caster to cast a spell into it, vampiric touch or an empowered ray of enfeeblement are better than anything you can put in there).