PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 Naga Race

AbridgingCritic
2017-07-20, 08:25 PM
So I'm working on a new campaign setting, reminiscent of ancient Egyptian mythology. (Amonkhet was dope, sue me). Anyway I want to create a new naga-snake person race that venerate a Nile-inspired river and the Uraeus (the sacred snake pharaohs would wear on their crowns, a divine protector of sorts).
I combed through Serpent Kingdoms--one of my favorite books--and realized none of them had the tone I was looking for. I came across the Oriental Adventures book and fell in love with every Shinomen Naga. The problems that are keeping me from using them: It's a 3.0 book, and it gave no ready to go racial stats. And I'm pretty new when it comes to homebrewing Monsters as Races.
I found this site (http://www.dan-site.com/Oriental_Races.htm) that creates stats for them as a race, but I'm a bit too green to see if its usable in a 3.5 campaign. Anyone able to help?

EDIT: I combed through a bit more and found the ECL adjustments for all the Shinomen Naga breeds on page 203 in Oriental Adventures.

Menzath
2017-07-20, 08:33 PM
Two of the Oriental adventure's books have playable naga race, and subsets of that race.

OA pg172, and the updated version in roleplaying in Rokugan pg26

Edit- ah so you saw the OA ones. Hope the other book helps.

Boci
2017-07-20, 08:54 PM
Rules for stat adjustments are to subtract 10 from the monsters stats (11 if its odd).

Pathfinder also has the Nagaji race
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-nagaji/

To convert it to 3.5, just choose +2 strength or dexterity, rather than both.

Buufreak
2017-07-20, 08:57 PM
Go download Planeshift:Amonkhet. It is made for 5e, but I find it is similar enough to backport.

Necroticplague
2017-07-20, 09:46 PM
So I'm working on a new campaign setting, reminiscent of ancient Egyptian mythology. (Amonkhet was dope, sue me). Anyway I want to create a new naga-snake person race that venerate a Nile-inspired river and the Uraeus (the sacred snake pharaohs would wear on their crowns, a divine protector of sorts).
I combed through Serpent Kingdoms--one of my favorite books--and realized none of them had the tone I was looking for. I came across the Oriental Adventures book and fell in love with every Shinomen Naga. The problems that are keeping me from using them: It's a 3.0 book, and it gave no ready to go racial stats. And I'm pretty new when it comes to homebrewing Monsters as Races.
I found this site (http://www.dan-site.com/Oriental_Races.htm) that creates stats for them as a race, but I'm a bit too green to see if its usable in a 3.5 campaign. Anyone able to help?

EDIT: I combed through a bit more and found the ECL adjustments for all the Shinomen Naga breeds on page 203 in Oriental Adventures.

IIRC, there's actually a Dragon Magazine issue that updates the Naga into 3.5. I forget which # it was.

Crake
2017-07-20, 11:59 PM
The noble lamia race are snake people with inherent sorcerous abilities, should work well with an alignment re-fluff, since they're normally the chaotic evil blood orgy type. There's a pathfinder version that's freely available but if you specifically want a 3.5 version, there's one available in expedition to the demonweb pits. I don't know if it was released in any kind of monster manual or anything like that, the adventure module one is the only one I've been able to find.

chimaeraUndying
2017-07-21, 12:53 AM
There's a pathfinder version that's freely available but if you specifically want a 3.5 version, there's one available in expedition to the demonweb pits.

Worth noting that PF is pretty trivial to back-port to 3.5, if you decide you don't like how EttDP handles them. Homebrewing them shouldn't be too hard either, but I think there's a different subforum for that.

BWR
2017-07-21, 03:47 AM
Ignoring mechanics for a moment, you might be interested in tracking down this (http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_the_Naga) book for more information on L5R naga.

AbridgingCritic
2017-07-22, 06:24 PM
Did you get a satisfactory answer on Amonkhet Naga? I know I just kinda threw a pdf at you, but I actually love homebrewing MTG into DND, specifically 3.PF. I have over 100 pages between Zendikar and Innistrad, and Amonkhet is my next project.

I'm a big MTG person too, and when Planeshift: Amonkhet came out I was super excited. But I didn't start brewing this campaign setting until recently, so I forgot about it until you reminded me. I like the Planeshift Naga race, and definitely see attributes about them that work. Thanks for that.

At the moment I'm more considering the Shinomen Naga from Oriental Adventures (the site I linked to before with the Naga Race comes from the Oriental Adventures Rokugan campaign setting actually, and reiterates the site's stats). Comparing the Amonkhet Naga and the Rokugan Naga bloodlines (5 different subraces within the Naga breed), I think I'm going to go actually try and bring them together in 3.5. I'm also going to adapt them to a desert setting, rather than the Japanese samurai world of Rokugan and the city of competition setting of Rokugan.

I just want to thank everyone for all the resources you've shared so far. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading this weekend to create something awesome for my players, using everything you have shared as reference.