PDA

View Full Version : emulate an Illithid mind blast using magic

louisb
2007-08-08, 12:02 AM
i have a gm that is allowing me to emulate an illithids mental blast he wants me to use magic instead of psionics . how would you emulate an illithids mind blast using magic ?

Bonus question how would you emulate psionic enhanced conventional senses such as sight and hearing with magic ?

Artemician
2007-08-08, 01:12 AM
As my knowledge of spells is not top-notch, I do not know if there are any present spells which emulate Mind Blast that already exists, but well, a Mind Blast is basically a cone-shaped damage/stun spell in any case, so I shouldn't imagine it being too hard to emulate.

Simply, Opponents in a 30 ft cone make a Will Save or take 1d6 damage/caster level. Opponents who fail this save have to make another Save or be Stunned. Something like that should do.

Tower
2007-08-18, 08:08 PM
I would have thought it was more of a cone shaped blast that stunned everything that didn't make a will save,
According to the Psionics Handbook, it stuns non psionic creatures for 3d4 rounds in a 60 ft cone shaped burst.

Based on that, I would make it a

(Wiz/Sor 5) Enchantment (Compulsion, Mind Affecting)
Stuns if opponent fail the Will Save, or Dazes for one round on a pass
Stun 1d4 rounds + 1d4 rounds per 5 caster levels

Probably a 5th level spell since Deep Slumber is 3rd level, which is sleep on 10 HD of creatures

Dryad
2007-08-18, 09:51 PM
Yet, that has a HD restriction. That means that no more than 10 HD of creatures can be affected.
You stun everything in a cone, which is spiff, and they're.. Stunned. Immobilized.
So if you're in a party of four players, and you're a tenth lvl caster, with an int score of 20, easily proclaimed at that lvl, and you're an enchanter on top, it's a mob wipe.
First, you fire the cone. Everyone that falls outside get's killed pretty quickly, probably in the same round, if there is anything outside of the cone. (We're usually talking 2-5 creatures per encounter.)
Now, your party members have 2d4 rounds, minimal of 2 rounds, but on average five rounds, to slit every stunned bugger's throat. As it demands will without reflex, you may assume that in 7 out of ten encounters the poor buggers don't have a chance of beating that DC22 spell.

Ouch.

Tower
2007-08-22, 07:32 AM
It's about as nasty as the psionic version.
Besides I thought ECL's ~10 would have monsters with reasonable Will saves by then?

Maybe a way to do it is to have the enemies stunned 1 round / X caster levels