PDA

View Full Version : Help with a build idea - Sandy Claws!

Crusher
2017-07-20, 09:10 PM
So, I like making characters and the way it usually works is that I'm wandering around, minding my own business when *ZAP* an idea pops into my head. And then it won't leave until I've made a character around it and optimized it as thoroughly as possible while sticking with the character concept. Usually its pretty straightforward to build the character, but optimizing the level progression and ASIs and such takes a while.

This time, I'm having trouble getting going because the concept was unusually minimalist. All that popped into my head was remembering Tim Burton's movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and how Jack Skellington was really concerned about Santa Claus because he mistakenly thinks his name is "Sandy Claws" and that maybe he's some kind of fearsome desert monster.

I'm thinking maybe a Tabaxi or possibly Lizardman open hand monk for the natural weapon attacks, but then again I could go with Tavern Brawler, or even a character that uses fist weapons or something. Perhaps a fighter/swashbucker who uses punch-daggers in some fashion?

So, is there a build that isn't completely terrible built around natural weapons? Or perhaps short, slashing weapons? That kinda says monk or rogue to me, but are there other ways to go? Also, bonus points if it can be scary in some fashion. Maybe a Dragonborn with the racial feat...

Desiani
2017-07-20, 10:03 PM
I'm at a bar so I can't really do into much detail. It really depends on if you're going for comical or serious. For comical I would go Goblin Fighter or Monk. If you went fighter I would refluff either the dagger or short sword as punching blades that you cobbled together with magical sand. For monk I would do roughly the same thing by using said magical sand to permanently mold your hands in the sand :p