PDA

View Full Version : Starting a fifth edition game. Character help?

Kerrigor
2017-07-20, 10:32 PM
Hi. So usually I play 3.5/3.x games.
However, I was contacted by a friend who wanted to run a 5.e game. I said I'd join. One tiny problem: I've never played 5e.
I've got a basic idea, but I figured since y'all are awesome, you could help. Give input and such so the character works.
Being a fan of Critical Role, and as someone who usually plays a race with ties to stone, I'm thinking of making a goliath. Likely a stupid one. (Dwarves and pretty much anything Dwarven is off limits for story reasons)
I enjoy playing meat-shields, so I was thinking a barbarian. Definitely using a hammer of some flavor.
And im considering a tiger totem path.
Thoughts?

Vorpalchicken
2017-07-20, 10:48 PM
Sounds great, as is. Note that you can mix and match totem animals so you could pick wolf or bear at level three and tiger at level six.
Just mentioning since tiger is a little lackluster at third. But if it fits your concept or jumping is going to be really important then go full tiger!

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 01:10 AM
Warforged (if allowed) might also fit your theme. Stupid leaves out EK etc. Barbarian looks like a good fit but I recommend you talk with the DM and other players before you decide.

Kerrigor
2017-07-21, 02:42 AM
Sounds great, as is. Note that you can mix and match totem animals so you could pick wolf or bear at level three and tiger at level six.
Just mentioning since tiger is a little lackluster at third. But if it fits your concept or jumping is going to be really important then go full tiger!

Wait. This is a thing?
So if I were to go, say bear, as everyone says it's the ultimate 3rd level...feature, would my totem animal be like a bear tiger hybrid, or would I choose, or what?
I'm asking because I read somewhere that Barbarians get a version of commune with nature, but with a version of their totem animal. Or was I wrong for using Wikipedia?

some guy
2017-07-21, 04:22 AM
Wait. This is a thing?
So if I were to go, say bear, as everyone says it's the ultimate 3rd level...feature, would my totem animal be like a bear tiger hybrid, or would I choose, or what?
I'm asking because I read somewhere that Barbarians get a version of commune with nature, but with a version of their totem animal. Or was I wrong for using Wikipedia?

Commune with Nature makes one of your totem animals appear. You can have multiple ones, or refluff all your choices into one animal, or make up a hybrid.
(the level 6 and 14 feature both say "You can choose the same animal you selected previously or a different one.")

I would not say bear is the ultimate level 3. If your party has a lot of melee wolf is very nice (and will come up every time you rage), the mobility of the eagle is also something that can come up every rage. Especially in low level non-physical damage is rare, so there are plenty of instances where you are raging but your bear totem feature does nothing.
It depends on the campaign, if your dm likes to use casters a lot, bear is good (half damage from a fireball is really nice).
Wolf and Eagle are always useful, Bear is very useful in less combat situations. (edit: elk aspect is always useful, but not that impressive (I like eagle better if you're going for mobility), tiger aspect... I can't remember a fight where jumping was very important, it's more a cinematic flair thing)

(edit; barbarians are fun to play and a goliath barbarian is a good barbarian.)

Specter
2017-07-21, 08:05 AM
If you want to be a sponge, just have a good CON and take Tough as a feat. If you want uberdamage, take Great Weapon Master (essentially power attack and cleave in one feat). Other than that, Barbarian's straightforward: your biggest round-by-round decision is whether to be reckless (attacking with advantage and being attacked with it) or not.

MrFahrenheit
2017-07-21, 12:50 PM
If you want to be a neat shield, and aren't as concerned for dealing damage, per se, consider either of the following:
-Totem warrior barbarian (taking bear at 3).
-Hill dwarf circle of the moon Druid, getting con to 20 ASAP while figuring in picking up the resilient: con feat along the way. And then add toughness. The unkillable aspect might not be too apparent till level six, or even nine, but if you can put up with the long term investment, you can basically be a meat sponge. More utility than a barbarian, too: out of combat and need to sneak somewhere without being noticed? Wildshape into a rat or bird and go eavesdropping!

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 12:56 PM
If you want to be a neat shield, and aren't as concerned for dealing damage, per se, consider either of the following:
-Totem warrior barbarian (taking bear at 3).
-Hill dwarf circle of the moon Druid, getting con to 20 ASAP while figuring in picking up the resilient: con feat along the way. And then add toughness. The unkillable aspect might not be too apparent till level six, or even nine, but if you can put up with the long term investment, you can basically be a meat sponge. More utility than a barbarian, too: out of combat and need to sneak somewhere without being noticed? Wildshape into a rat or bird and go eavesdropping!

This sounds really fun to play though if you believe level 20 may be reached then don't multiclass, choose either druid or barbarian and stick for the cap.

smcmike
2017-07-21, 01:02 PM
Big stupid Barbarians are fun, but nothing beats a really, really stupid Paladin.

Khrysaes
2017-07-21, 01:03 PM
If you want to tank as in take a lot of hits, then Bear for level 3 is generally a bit better, because that resistance to damage is amazing.

If you want to tank as in Keep the enemy focused on you, then Ancestral Barbarian from UA(probably got the name wrong, its in the revised subclasses one), would probably be more used. Or oath of the Crown Paladin.

A lot of the features can be gained from other sources.

Bear 6, you would have as a goliath, although they stack, also the Brawny Feat in UA.

Wolf mobility at level 3, Rogue Cunning action, or College of Fools Bard(UA), I like the bard one better, especially if you are using a hammer. But a Strength based Rogue/Barbarian is a great character.

Other racial options for a stone based character would be Genasi Earth, and Deep Gnome.

3 Fighter/Champion, is also a useful multiclass for a Barbarian, gaining the fighting style, action surge, and expanded crit range.

3 Rogue/Assassin nets you auto crits on the first round, and expertise, which is often used with athletics for grappling. Also cunning action for expanded movement. Gain an exra skill.

3 Bard/College of Satire? Fools? its in UA. Gets better expanded movement, expertise, jack of all trades, some spells and cantrips(you cant use them while raging, but ones that dont require concentration can be cast before raging, so mirror image). Gain an extra Skill.

9 Rogue/Swashbuckler could get you a taunt, although I am not sure how charismatic you would be.

Oath of Crown Paladin has similar aspects.

Warlock, could get you a couple invocations that would be really useful, like devil's sight, seeing as goliaths dont have dark vision.

Kerrigor
2017-07-21, 01:52 PM
I should likely mention that the party also consists of a rogue, wizard, and another Goliath Barbarian (my character's adoptive brother) as well as an NPC cleric(healer)

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-21, 06:05 PM
How about a goblin wild magic sorcerer. Really dumb really funny and any goblins will leave your niblog alone

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-22, 06:53 AM
How about a goblin wild magic sorcerer. Really dumb really funny and any goblins will leave your niblog alone

10/10 would do again. He didn't live long, but he was awesome while he lasted.

Khrysaes
2017-07-22, 07:00 AM
I should likely mention that the party also consists of a rogue, wizard, and another Goliath Barbarian (my character's adoptive brother) as well as an NPC cleric(healer)

If you can use any UA, play a favored soul :)

If you dont want UA, Cleric, druid, or Bard.

Take up the healing/support role.

But 1 Life Cleric/18+ Favored Soul is awesome. so is 1 Life Cleric/Something Bard.

Laurefindel
2017-07-22, 11:32 AM
Wait. This is a thing?

See your barbarian progression as your totem pole. It has different "slots" at different heights. As you progress, you carve a new head on your totem pole, which traditionally, across many cultures, would include different animals.

utopus
2017-07-22, 12:57 PM
First off, welcome to 5e! I hope you enjoy your game. I have a friend who just started, after playing 3.5 with his family for several years and it's funny how he always defaults to asking me to do various checks after describing his actions for what I (having only played 5e) would consider trivial actions that don't require checks at all.

I would recommend that you read a guide on grappling, as barbarians make excellent grapplers. Grapple/proning an opponent can add a lot of variety and tactics to a class whose most common action is, "I hit it with my axe"

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-22, 03:27 PM
10/10 would do again. He didn't live long, but he was awesome while he lasted.

Oh i got more.magic mike the halforc bard who perfroms wuth a gong around his neck and strips. His lute on his back is his weapon.

Bitey the lizardfolk monk.nuffsaid

Goliath rougue nickname tiny class swashbuckler

Kobold dragonic sorcerer he thinks he is invicible for tiamat blessed him.

Orc barbarian with the spiked armor class
And he just wants to cuddle after all.