PDA

View Full Version : Some new Dragon-themed Spells

demonslayerelf
2017-07-21, 02:28 AM
Hello there! I'm that guy who's been rewriting the Monster Manual. Since I've been a little tripped up with my next set... HERE'S SOME SPELLS.
If you need a little bit of context for how these came about, here.
So, my group's campaign setting is massive. We've been building it up for almost a decade now, and fully explaining it would be a nightmare.(And don't even get me started in converting it to 5e)
But, these spells in particular come from a tribe of Dragon-Ancestry Sorcerers in the far, frozen North. Everybody born to this tribe was a Sorcerer, and all of them learned to utilize the following spells, over time. In-setting, the tribes saw it as tapping into their own blood, and would not teach it to outsiders. They still don't, but a few Wizards or Sorcerers have learned these spells through other methods.
Otherwise, here you go.

Drake's Scales
1st-level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a colored reptile's scale)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

Hard, reptilian scales grow from the caster's body, allowing them to ignore extreme heat and cold, and a +1 to AC for the duration. The color of these scales matches the type of the reptile's scale component.

Drake's Tooth
2nd-level Transmutation
Components: V, S, M (a predator's fang)

Long, sharp fangs sprout from the caster's usual teeth; These deal a second die of damage when Biting a target. These count as a +1 magical weapon, and may only be used once per Attack Action.

Dragon's Roar
2nd-level Evocation
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

A Shockwave of thunderous energy erupts from the Caster. Each creature within 30 feet must make a Constitution Saving Throw. On a failure, the victim takes 1d8 Thunder Damage, and must then make a Wisdom Saving Throw, becoming Frightened of the Caster until the end of their next turn on a failed save. A creature who succeeds the Constitution Saving Throw only takes the Thunder Damage.

Drake's Wings
3rd-level Transmutation
Components: V, S, M (a bone from a creature's wing)

Large, draconic wings rip their way out of the caster's back, granting them a Fly Speed equal to their Walking Speed. In addition, the caster may make a "Wing Attack," dealing two dice of their Unarmed Damage to every creature within their reach.

Draconic Persuasion
3rd-level Enchantment
Components: V
Duration: 1 minute

The caster's voice becomes deeper, resonant, and laden with strength and confidence. Everybody who can hear the caster must make a Wisdom Saving Throw against the caster's spell DC. On a failure, the caster gains advantage on all attempts to Persuade or Intimidate the target. In addition, any Saving Throws the creature makes against becoming Charmed or Frightened by the Caster for the duration are made at Disadvantage.

Dragon's Fang
4th-level Transmutation
Components: V, S, M (the fang of a Dragon)
Duration: Concentration, 1 hour

The Caster grows the mighty fangs of a Dragon; These count as +2 Magical Weapons. In addition, the Caster may make a Bite Attack in place of a normal Attack Action, dealing 2d8 Piercing Damage and 2d6 Damage of the appropriate type, as determined when this spell is cast.

Dragon's Breath
4th-level Transmutation
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

The Caster infuses their throat and mouth with the essence of a Dragon. The Caster gains the ability to breathe Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning, or Poison as an Action. This deals 6d8 damage of the appropriate type to every creature in a 30-foot cone. The creatures within this cone may make a Dexterity Saving Throw(If Fire, Lightning, or Acid) or a Constitution Saving Throw(If Cold or Poison), halving the damage on a success. This ability Recharges on a 5-6. A Creature may only benefit from one spell(Or potion, etc.) that grants this ability at a time.

Dragon's Hide
5th-level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S, M(A Dragon Scale of the appropriate type)

The Caster sprouts the scales of a Dragon. This grants them a +2 AC, and immunity to the appropriate type of damage.

Draconic Majesty
6th-level Enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: 10 minutes

The Caster imbues their being with a sense of power, awe, and fear. Every creature of the Caster's choosing must make a Wisdom Saving Throw. Upon a failure, they are Frightened or Charmed by the Caster for 10 minutes. They may make a Saving Throw at the end of every round to break the effect.
While Charmed or Frightened in this way, the victims look at the Caster much in the same way they would a true dragon, either paying their subservience to them, or getting as far away as possible.

Elemental Wings
7th-level Transmutation
Components: V, S, M(A scrap of leather from the wing of a Dragon)

The Caster's back rips open, dealing 2d8 Necrotic Damage, and sprouting a pair of large, leathery, scaly dragon wings. These grant a Flying Speed equal to twice the creature's Walking Speed, and the ability to, as a Reaction, gain Immunity to the appropriate type of damage, until the start of the Caster's next turn. If the caster was already Immune to this type of damage, they may instead use their Reaction to absorb the attack, healing that much damage.

Dragon Heart
8th-level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M(An empty metal Cage, 5000 Gold of incense to be burned within the cage.)
Duration: Until Dispelled

Upon killing a Dragon-type creature, the Caster may attempt to trap the Soul of the felled Dragon. The Dragon makes a Charisma Saving Throw at Disadvantage. Upon a success, nothing happens. If the Dragon fails it's save, they become sealed within the cage, and may not be revived by anything short of a Wish Spell, unless it is freed by destroying this Cage.
The Caster may attune to this Cage. This allows them to communicate with the Dragon within via Telepathy at will. While thus Attuned, the Caster gains Immunity to the Dragon's primary element, and once per day, may use the "Legendary Resistance" trait.

Dragon Sentry
9th-level Abjuration
Casting Time: 12 hours
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M(A Cage prepared by the Dragon Heart Spell, and a suitable vessel costing no less than 50,000 Gold.)
Duration: Until Dispelled

The Caster must first hand-craft a Huge or larger shell made from Stone, Metal, and/or Gemstones. The Vessel may take any shape the Caster wishes. The Caster then spends 12 hours transferring and binding the Dragon Soul from the Cage into the Vessel. The Caster makes a Charisma Saving Throw, the DC equal to the Dragon's number of Hit Dice. Upon a failure, the Dragon Soul is released, and the Vessel is undisturbed. Upon a success, the Dragon Soul then makes a Charisma Saving Throw against the Caster's Spell DC(Legendary Resistance cannot be used to succeed). Upon a failure, they are fully bound to the Vessel, and must obey every order the Caster gives them. Once each Year after being bound, the Dragon Soul may make another Saving Throw. The Dragon Soul may not be revived, as per Dragon Heart, but they can no longer be attuned to.

The Vessel has the Dragon's original statistics, with the following changes;
They have no Legendary Actions, and no Legendary Resistances.
They become immune to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, if they did not have this already.
The Dragon Sentry's Hit Die changes to reflect their new size.

Draconic Form
9th-level Transmutation
Casting Time: 12 hours
Components: V, S, M (a vial of the blood of a Dragon, and 1000 Gold worth of incenses that must be consumed by the appropriate element in a Silver Brazier worth an additional 5000 Gold)
Duration: 1 month

This spell changes the Caster's Type to Dragon for the duration. Their maximum Health increases by 100, and they are under the effects of Elemental Wings, Dragon's Hide, and Dragon's Fang spells.
Once per Long Rest, the Caster may also cast Draconic Majesty, Dragon's Breath, and Draconic Persuasion.

Flashy
2017-07-21, 07:23 PM
I like these on the whole but I've listed some critiques below. I'm typing on my phone, so apologies if the formatting is wonky.

Drake's Scales: Way overpowered. It's the same effect and duration as Protection From Energy, plus +1 AC. Given that Protection From Energy is a 3rd level spell there's no way this is balanced as a 1st level spell. Self only isn't much of a restriction.

Drake's Tooth: Fine, but since it's pretty hard to get a bite attack as a PC I don't see it as more than niche. I'm pretty sure that's the design goal on these though.

Dragon's Roar: The frighten needs a listed duration (as a second level spell, probably not more than a round). Otherwise seems reasonable.

Drake's Wings: Fine. Since most characters don't have an unarmed damage die what do you use for the wing attack? 2+Str instead of 1+Str?

Draconic Persuasion: It can be hard to peg a level for these social manipulation spells but my gut feeling is that 4th or 5th level would be more appropriate than 3rd given the long duration.

Dragon's Fang: I'd argue this should be concentration (it's a heck of a buff) but otherwise quite like it. I'm not certain I'd say the damage is too high, but I'd encourage you to consider that a valor bard with Dragon's Fang can output a lot of highly consistent damage.

Dragon's Breath: Probably fine.

Dragon's Hide: There's currently no spell that grants an elemental immunity. Given that you're adding a new (powerful) option I'd say this should realistically be 6th or even 7th level, especially since it's packaged with bonus AC.

Draconic Majesty: Probably fine.

Elemental Wings: Probably fine, although I go back and forth since immunity is powerful and it's packaged with a 3rd level spell.

Dragon's Heart: Probably fine.

Dragon Sentry: Permanently loyal CR 17 creatures are the domain of 9th level spells.

Draconic Form: I have trouble accepting this is balanced when compared to Shapechange.

demonslayerelf
2017-07-21, 11:03 PM
I like these on the whole but I've listed some critiques below. I'm typing on my phone, so apologies if the formatting is wonky.

Drake's Scales: Way overpowered. It's the same effect and duration as Protection From Energy, plus +1 AC. Given that Protection From Energy is a 3rd level spell there's no way this is balanced as a 1st level spell. Self only isn't much of a restriction.

Drake's Tooth: Fine, but since it's pretty hard to get a bite attack as a PC I don't see it as more than niche. I'm pretty sure that's the design goal on these though.

Dragon's Roar: The frighten needs a listed duration (as a second level spell, probably not more than a round). Otherwise seems reasonable.

Drake's Wings: Fine. Since most characters don't have an unarmed damage die what do you use for the wing attack? 2+Str instead of 1+Str?

Draconic Persuasion: It can be hard to peg a level for these social manipulation spells but my gut feeling is that 4th or 5th level would be more appropriate than 3rd given the long duration.

Dragon's Fang: I'd argue this should be concentration (it's a heck of a buff) but otherwise quite like it. I'm not certain I'd say the damage is too high, but I'd encourage you to consider that a valor bard with Dragon's Fang can output a lot of highly consistent damage.

Dragon's Breath: Probably fine.

Dragon's Hide: There's currently no spell that grants an elemental immunity. Given that you're adding a new (powerful) option I'd say this should realistically be 6th or even 7th level, especially since it's packaged with bonus AC.

Draconic Majesty: Probably fine.

Elemental Wings: Probably fine, although I go back and forth since immunity is powerful and it's packaged with a 3rd level spell.

Dragon's Heart: Probably fine.

Dragon Sentry: Permanently loyal CR 17 creatures are the domain of 9th level spells.

Draconic Form: I have trouble accepting this is balanced when compared to Shapechange.

Well, thanks for the feedback.
Now I have the need to attempt to explain a thing.

On the matter of Drake's Scales;
When taken as just a stand-alone 1st level spell... Yeah, kinda. It's really only something that Dragon Sorcerers have learned, and it's really basically a weakened version of their 6th level ability. (Double the cost, concentration, and V, S, and M components...)

On the matter of Drake's Wings and Drake's Tooth;
Both of these turn a standard Unarmed Attack into 2+Str, yeah.(Unless you're a Monk or a Tavern Brawler on the side... 2d10+5 Monk Bites... Scary, man...)

On the topic of Immunities;
Immunity is a strange thing... Technically, some Races just start with an Immunity to something.(Poison, usually) Some classes get immunity really early on, as well.
At high levels, you have things(Storm Sorcerer) with permanently 2 immunities AND a Fly Speed of 60. A 9th level Dragon Sorcerer burning their highest slot to turn their resistance into immunity(At concentration)...It's weird.

(Also could you clear up what you mean with Draconic Form a little? It's a veeery different spell than Shape Change...)