PDA

View Full Version : New 5e game - Character Decision Help & Experience

Deox
2017-07-21, 01:31 PM
I will be joining a game soon at level 3 that will have the option to try some UA content. As such, I've narrowed my choices down to: Warlock (Hexblade) and Artificer (Gunsmith). The only caveat to the Artificer, is that I'll have to be a gnome (in game reasons, no such restriction to the Warlock). Stats provided to all players as: 15,14,13,12,10,8.

I'm having a bit of a tough choice deciding which route to go and how to allocate stats / build. Both look very interesting and I was hoping to get some guidance on character builds for each.

Additionally, what are some of the experiences people have had with each of the aforementioned classes / sub-classes? I am very interested in knowing some tricks and limitations and know what to expect with each route.

JeffreyGator
2017-07-21, 04:20 PM
There is a decent chance I would play an artificer for my next character just to be different. Gnome is relatively ideal for the gunsmith so this isn't that bad. Rock gnome is more in concept, but I would want the +1 dexterity from deep or forest gnome.

Int, Dex, and con matter.

15+1 dex (taking deep gnome or forest if SCAG is not allowed)
14 Con
13+2 Int (or you can swap int and con)
12 wis
10 cha
8 str

Skills: Investigation, Sleight of Hand,
tools: thief's tools, alchemy kit, herbalism kit (makes healing potions), smith tools

spells curewounds, expeditious retreat, shield of faith

Very strongly think about Sharpshooter at level 4

The hexblade is a gish - I love gishes and have played lots of them.

bid
2017-07-21, 09:24 PM
I will be joining a game soon at level 3 that will have the option to try some UA content. As such, I've narrowed my choices down to: Warlock (Hexblade) and Artificer (Gunsmith). The only caveat to the Artificer, is that I'll have to be a gnome (in game reasons, no such restriction to the Warlock). Stats provided to all players as: 15,14,13,12,10,8.

I'm having a bit of a tough choice deciding which route to go and how to allocate stats / build. Both look very interesting and I was hoping to get some guidance on character builds for each.

Additionally, what are some of the experiences people have had with each of the aforementioned classes / sub-classes? I am very interested in knowing some tricks and limitations and know what to expect with each route.
Warlock
Half-elf Str8 Dex14 Con16 Int10 Wis12 Cha16, medium armor, longsword. Depending on the situation you either don a shield or use both hands on the longsword.

All 3 pacts work well with that patron. You can go chain or tome if it fits your RP concept better. Booming blade and green-flame blade do nearly as much damage as thirsting blade / lifedrinker.
Tome allows you to take guidance, mending and vicious mockery (or mold earth / shape water from EE). Book of ancient secrets gives you access to rituals, a free feat.
Chain gives you an invisible scout.

If your DM does the 5-minute day, you are screwed. Warlock needs short rests to be as good as other classes.

Deox
2017-07-26, 02:53 PM
Thank you for the responses. Glad to see a representative of each.

I think I'll be working with the DM to tweak the Hexblade to fit his setting fluff, and keeping the Artificer in my back pocket in case things don't work as well as we hope.

Regarding the Hexblade, I think Half-Elf would be a good choice.

I believe the DM is in line with providing me the Extra Attack feature, so long as I choose Pact of the Blade. While this would alleviate the need for Thirsting Blade, I don't think Booming Blade or GFB would get much mileage after 5th or so level.

I do like Chain's potential for familiar.

Taking the above into account (Extra Attack feature w/ Pact of the Blade), how would that affect your choice in cantrips, spells, and invocation selection? Probably starting around 3rd level, if that helps.

Deox
2017-07-27, 12:24 PM
Inquired regarding the short work day - not sure yet, we'll see. After more review, it is true that the Warlock does need some short rests to stay on par.

Most likely starting at 3rd level, and going over the information, I'd have the following:
2 Cantrips Known
4 Spells Known
2 Spell Slots
Slot Level - 2
2 Invocations

For cantrips, I really do like the appeal of Eldritch Blast. To me, it seems almost a requirement. Allows for some ranged combat ability, or "Hit and Run" tactics. Booming Blade / GFB also do look interesting. Although as previously mentioned, if I go Pact of the Blade, I would automatically get the Extra Attack feature at 5th (which, I would think would be a better choice in melee over BB / GFB).

Invocations and Spells are also where I'm getting hung up. Suggestions?

Solunaris
2017-07-27, 01:20 PM
One of the hardest parts about the Pact of the Blade is the invocation tax to stay on par with Eldritch Blast damage but, if your DM is giving you Extra Attack for free then that frees up one slot.

Grabbing Agonizing Blast seems like a good idea for any Warlock, but if you are going to primarily rely on your weapon in combat then you can skip it and just make do with Eldritch Blast. I've never played a Warlock without Misty Visions but ymmv based on how your DM treats illusions. Additionally, with the latest Unearthed Arcana with Warlock Invocations there is a particularly good one that you can take at 3rd level which turns your Pact Weapon into an Arcane Focus and makes it +1.

It's a solid Invocation that would allow you to hold a sword and shield while still slinging spells in combat. Also, the image of swinging your sword to cast Eldritch Blast in the shape of sword slices a la Bleach is just cool.

But if neither of those are your speed, you can't go wrong at the early levels with Fiendish Vigor for a nice bump in HP before any given fight or Mask of Many Faces for when you need to sneak in somewhere but don't have proficiency in Stealth.

On the topic of Spell, Hex seems like a strong contender right out the gate. It's not, and in fact is a trap for you. Likely, you'll cast it before you wade into melee with you sweet Pact Weapon only to have Hex smacked right out of you in the first round since you aren't proficient in Con Saves. Instead things like Hellish Rebuke, Expeditious Retreat and Armor of Agathys are probably better picks. Though, them all being defensive you might just settle for one over the others to leave room for utility spells. Don't forget that you can swap out lower level spells for higher level ones too ass you level so instead of just having 1 Second Level Spell you could have 2. Hold Person, Invisibility, Suggestion, and Misty Step are all great choices provided you don't mind not having any offensive spells.

All in all, you've got lots of choices.

Deox
2017-07-28, 07:18 AM

All in all, you've got lots of choices.

I think that may be my issue - choice paralysis. Agonizing Blast, while good, may not be needed. I envision using the pact weapon mainly (with EB as a fall back). Also, the invocation I think is the Improved Pact Weapon that makes it +1 and can be treated as a focus (not sure entirely worth it? I could be wrong).

Hex looks good on paper, but not so much for this character. Was leaning towards Fiendish Vigor and Devil's Sight for Invocations. Hexblade allows for the Shield spell to be selected, which is always a solid choice. I do like Misty Step, Darkness and Invisibility for 2nd level spells, though only knowing 2, I'm at a loss of which route to go.

Additionally, I keep looking back at race selection. Looking at V. Human (starting feat is nice), Half-Elf, and Tiefling (no winged variant).

...and now that you mention it, Solunaris, Ichigo can totally be an unarmored Hexblade.