PDA

View Full Version : Need STK build - thinking Porcadin

nutty
2017-07-21, 02:06 PM
Half Orc Paladin 6 + Sorc X + ranger 3

I have no idea on what classes are good for STK. Would love any thoughts.

Paladin seems like it would have solid defense. Sorc for fuelling smites. Ranger has colossus slayer and misc other goodies.

Half Orc for no particular reason - I liked the Porcadin name :) Could be half elf or tiefling. Was thinking of a mercenary oriented background being hired to fight off the giants.

The cover of the module indicates you can work with the giants, if there's an angle there I'd be interested as well.

thanks!!!

Specter
2017-07-21, 02:18 PM
I don't know to what level STK goes, but unless it goes up to level 15 I would recommend treading lightly on Sorcerer. At least not until Paladin 6, that's for sure. Definitely Half-Elf, unless you're planning to use Tiefling's INT somewhere.

As much as I like Ranger, I'd sit him out on this one: two classes are already hard enough to juggle on that progression, and when you add DEX and WIS to the mix your stats will suffer.

nutty
2017-07-21, 02:22 PM
Thank you! Seems like a base of Paladin 6 is all I need and then I could dip around, but yes don't want to be too MAD... A half elf (drow variant) could be a good fit!

Douche
2017-07-21, 02:22 PM
I don't know to what level STK goes, but unless it goes up to level 15 I would recommend treading lightly on Sorcerer. At least not until Paladin 6, that's for sure. Definitely Half-Elf, unless you're planning to use Tiefling's INT somewhere.

As much as I like Ranger, I'd sit him out on this one: two classes are already hard enough to juggle on that progression, and when you add DEX and WIS to the mix your stats will suffer.

Are you guys talking about Storm King's Thunder? Or Storm Thunder Kings?

Cuz the former goes to level 11-12.

Also, if you're going to be a porcadin then you better goddamn get a https://megapanda.net/images/dj/0416/041216-134954402-big.jpg

Specter
2017-07-21, 02:33 PM
Are you guys talking about Storm King's Thunder? Or Storm Thunder Kings?

Cuz the former goes to level 11-12.

Also, if you're going to be a porcadin then you better goddamn get a https://megapanda.net/images/dj/0416/041216-134954402-big.jpg

Derp's on me, SKT.

In that case, after Paladin 6, Sorcerer 6 can't hurt.

JeffreyGator
2017-07-21, 03:10 PM
Half Orc Paladin 6 + Sorc X + ranger 3

I have no idea on what classes are good for STK. Would love any thoughts.

Paladin seems like it would have solid defense. Sorc for fuelling smites. Ranger has colossus slayer and misc other goodies.

Half Orc for no particular reason - I liked the Porcadin name :) Could be half elf or tiefling. Was thinking of a mercenary oriented background being hired to fight off the giants.

The cover of the module indicates you can work with the giants, if there's an angle there I'd be interested as well.

thanks!!!

While Palladin/Sorcerers are generically mighty - I doubt that they are best for STK.

The big stuff from ranger in Storm Kings's thunder are the goodies with favored enemies - especially with the emphasis of the module. I am GM'ng right now and the ranger is starting to complain that he deals +4 damage (to orcs, goblinoids, and giants) far too often.

If you wanted cantrips and heavy armor, I'd add a level of life cleric and then you have great berries instead of lay on hands for extra healing.

There is also a large amount of overland travel in the middle of the adventure - exploring the sword coast more than a little bit.

I like the Porcadin name though. There may be a point in my other campaign where Half-Orc Paladin gains a sorc level that would be appropriate for him.

nutty
2017-07-21, 03:20 PM
Thanks! Sorry, just so I understand:
a) Why don't you like Pal/Sorc for STK?
b) Dumb question: how do rangers get the damage bonus? I've been dm'ing the last few years and not up on all the feats... Seemed to me like a melee ranger might be too squishy and a ranged ranger might not be able to keep up with damage output of a caster
c) Not looking for spoilers but if there are great magic items that favor a certain class, let me know the class. Usually there's a fabulous axe, 2handed sword or bla bla blah...

thanks again!

While Palladin/Sorcerers are generically mighty - I doubt that they are best for STK.

The big stuff from ranger in Storm Kings's thunder are the goodies with favored enemies - especially with the emphasis of the module. I am GM'ng right now and the ranger is starting to complain that he deals +4 damage (to orcs, goblinoids, and giants) far too often.

If you wanted cantrips and heavy armor, I'd add a level of life cleric and then you have great berries instead of lay on hands for extra healing.

There is also a large amount of overland travel in the middle of the adventure - exploring the sword coast more than a little bit.

I like the Porcadin name though. There may be a point in my other campaign where Half-Orc Paladin gains a sorc level that would be appropriate for him.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-21, 03:52 PM

I could see this happening a lot. In OotA picking Fiends as your greater favored enemy seems a no brainier. In Tyranny of Dragons, Dragons. In PotA, Elementals.

I don't think it's too big of a deal, but it's likely to happen. Oh and if you're playing in a homebrew world where your more likely to encounter all sorts of these monsters it becomes much more situational.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-21, 03:54 PM
b) Dumb question: how do rangers get the damage bonus? I've been dm'ing the last few years and not up on all the feats... Seemed to me like a melee ranger might be too squishy and a ranged ranger might not be able to keep up with damage output of a caster
!

It's from the revised Ranger Unearthed Arcana: https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

JeffreyGator
2017-07-22, 12:53 AM
Thanks! Sorry, just so I understand:
a) Why don't you like Pal/Sorc for STK?
c) Not looking for spoilers but if there are great magic items that favor a certain class, let me know the class. Usually there's a fabulous axe, 2handed sword or bla bla blah...

thanks again!

a) With your including ranger in your build - I like it more in SKT - not that I don't like SorcAdins. The biggest damage output is the ranged ranger with 3 or 2 attacks doing d8 + d6 + 8 on a regular basis. Occasionally +10 more.

b) favored enemy damage bonus

c) most of the limited stuff is random - I wouldn't worry about it

Coidzor
2017-07-22, 01:05 AM
Paladin 6/Sorcerer 3/Ranger 3 would get Metamagic, at least, but would have pitifully few sorcery points and only have a single 4th level spell slot for SMITING.

You'd also only know 7 spells other than your Paladin spells.

Biggstick
2017-07-22, 09:34 AM
Storm King's Thunder normally only takes you to level 10. It offers the DM the ability to grant you up to two more levels, but don't expect to go beyond level 10 unless your DM specifically tells you you'll make it to that level.

As someone DM'ing STK, I'd suggest a class that comes online at levels 5-6. Whatever it is that you actually decide, you should be "online" at level 5 or 6. Why do I recommend this? The game takes place for the most part from levels 5-10. Before level 5 should be a pretty short amount of time (depending on how long you as the DM or your Players take interacting with the world) and levels 11-12 are optional for the DM to give to you. And if the DM decides to grant you these additional levels, you won't be playing nearly the number of sessions at these levels as you spent playing from levels 5 through 10.

My suggestion? Play a single classed Paladin or a single classed Ranger. Unless you can stack your AC up to 21 or higher, don't worry about it. Pick up Giant as a language spoken. And last but not least, don't be afraid to interact with the world. There are magic items in so many different places.

Petrocorus
2017-07-22, 01:09 PM
If i may, i will point to the Sorcadin's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass&highlight=sorcadin)available on this board.

And yes, with all due respects, i do feel the need to say that the only time you should call yourself a Porcadin is if you're effectively an anthropomorphic pork paladin.

That's something i don't really understand on the 5E board, on the 3.5 one, the term sorcadin was universally accepted, but here, people keep coming up with new words for the paladin-sorcerer.