PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a new player

Jorgo
2017-07-21, 04:53 PM
So my best friend is soon starting a D&D campaign as DM with me, my friend, and two of his friends (all comparable age). I thought it would be an awesome time to hang out with the boys. Then a few weeks ago he springs on me: my brother is going to play. His brother two years younger than us (we're only 14/15) and a total wanker, not to mention irredeemable powergamer. My friend says, when asked why his brother is allowed to play: he's a good boy. should i just deal with it or should i be stubborn and confrontational? and what should i tell our DM.

Clone
2017-07-21, 05:55 PM
I found it a tad hard to tell who's who.
So my understanding is that there is yourself, the DM and two friends of the DM.
The DM wants to let his brother play.
The three of you have an issue with his brother playing and believe he'll just cause problems, but the DM believes everything will be fine.
Is that a good summary?

If thats the case, have a session 0. When everyone is making their characters, lay down the ground rules of what everyone is comfortable with and what you specifically aren't comfortable with.
If there are issues with anyone breaking the rules set (make sure you write them down too) then the player needs to be spoken to, and if it continues that player has to leave.

If the DM believes his brother will be a "good boy" but the brother ends up being.... less than fun to be around, in the worst way, then bring it up with him that its becoming an issue.
There are many pieces of info we don't have and thus can't comment on, but for the most part if the brother is told from the very beginning that his antics won't be tolerated and WILL be removed from the game if he is disruptive, then all should be fine.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-21, 06:43 PM
I found it a tad hard to tell who's who.
So my understanding is that there is yourself, the DM and two friends of the DM.
The DM wants to let his brother play.
The three of you have an issue with his brother playing and believe he'll just cause problems, but the DM believes everything will be fine.
Is that a good summary?

If thats the case, have a session 0. When everyone is making their characters, lay down the ground rules of what everyone is comfortable with and what you specifically aren't comfortable with.
If there are issues with anyone breaking the rules set (make sure you write them down too) then the player needs to be spoken to, and if it continues that player has to leave.

If the DM believes his brother will be a "good boy" but the brother ends up being.... less than fun to be around, in the worst way, then bring it up with him that its becoming an issue.
There are many pieces of info we don't have and thus can't comment on, but for the most part if the brother is told from the very beginning that his antics won't be tolerated and WILL be removed from the game if he is disruptive, then all should be fine.

I agree with this. Session 0s are where you discuss your expectations for the game. Talk about what you would like, a comedic, style, a gritty style, are you all heroes, villains, a mix, are you ok with power gaming? Bring it all up and see if you can come to a consensus.

Honest Tiefling
2017-07-21, 06:54 PM
Given that you have referred to the kid as a wanker, I'm going to assume that you and your circle of friends is on the direct side of things. I would confront your buddy, without his brother, and present your concerns. Remind him of past events that have indicated that he'll be a complete troll this time around. Tell him you'll give it a go, but ask him what he'll do if it cannot work and his brother repeats past events. Be firm, but reasonable. Don't shout, and perhaps clean up your language so he knows you're not joking around and you are taking this issue seriously.

If he says he'll pick his brother, then ask yourself if you wanna give it a go. If he doesn't have a plan, assume the worst.

Sigreid
2017-07-21, 11:12 PM
Yeah, you're probably going to have to deal with the brother. Odds are the DM can't keep the peace in the family and exclude him. If the kid is about 13 or so, he may be maturing some and you might not have the problem you think you will have, or you may be able to nudge him to more cooperative behavior.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-26, 03:36 PM
"Dude, I think it might be a problem, your brother is pretty disruptive.

If he starts ruining the game for everyone he's your problem to deal with."

Whit
2017-07-26, 04:47 PM
Everyone has good points. Your group 14-15. Him 12.
1. He will be on a different mental path than your group.
2. Yiu said he's a power gamer
3. Easy to solve. Talk to the DM brother and explain as a group to him your concerns.
4. If he still plays make sure power gamer is reduced. No multi class if need to. Roll stats or the base stats
And play the stats.
5. Intelligence wisdom charisma are usually never roll played because people play using their own intelligence etc. if anyone has low stats force that play. Sorry you can't do that or it's at higher difficulty because your 6 intelligence. Forcing that rule will either have fun, get sick of the character and re roll or quit
If it's disruption like your talking to someone and he attacks. Either let it roll and later suffer consequence or the DM says your character would not do it. Because alignment or whatever reason. Hopefully everyone will guide him on how to have fun and change his ways

jaappleton
2017-07-26, 04:58 PM
Session 0.

This is your answer.

Everyone sits down, discusses what kind of game its going to be. They discuss the theme. You discuss your characters. You might even create the characters during this session. What is and isn't allowed is discussed. Both in terms of the game, and in terms of behavior.

And everyone gets on the same page. That's the important part. Everyone gets on the same page for what is expected of them.

Be warned: If your opening line is "I don't want to play with this wanker", if you try to get someone in trouble for something they haven't done yet, you're just being a ****.

Lysiander
2017-07-26, 06:09 PM
A lifetime ago, I was a 12 year old younger brother. Looking back, I was a power gamer because I didn't understand roleplaying. Mechanics was all I knew I was a **** because I thought it made me cool. I was over-eager because I was often excluded. I was taken in and taught the ropes, learned that mechanics have their place but don't define the game and ended up having lots of fun. Even grew up a little.

Unless you've gamed with him before, on even footing where you both had clearly communicated what you want out of the game, and still ended up having problems, I'd say have a session zero and see where it takes you. Best case scenario, he'll grow up some and you'll all have fun. Worst case he's still a wanker and you can still be confrontational about it.