PDA

View Full Version : Qin: The Warring States

Matthew
2007-08-08, 12:54 AM
There was a Thread about this roleplaying game a few months back, but nobody had any additional information of substance, so when I noticed the Demo available for free download from RPGnow, I thought I would give it a read: Qin: The Warring States (Free Demo) (http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=11926&it=1)

I think the art is great (especially compared to what was offered in the 3.0 version of Oriental Adventures), but I don't know what on earth to make of the system that is being presented here. I would really be interested in somebody else's view. So, anybody familiar with the full system or demo, or willing to give it a read over?

I_Got_This_Name
2007-08-08, 02:08 PM
Well, my first impression says that I'd rather not roll dice that way.

Roll 2d10, subtract the lower from the higher unless it's a tie, which is a critical success (or failure, if it's double 0s)? Then remember which die was higher, since some actions depend on that? That just feels ugly. It might get better with practice, but I'd rather have something a bit simpler.

That said, it seems to be an interesting game with well-integrated flavor; I haven't played it, so I can't tell if the flavor gets in the way or not.

Matthew
2007-08-08, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it's pretty odd, but I'm still unsure as what I think about the viability. I thought the five Chinese Elements was interesting, but it does just boil down to: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence/Wisdom and Charisma.

I quite like their mixed Vitality/Injury Tracker, but I am going to have to play a combat to see how it really works out in practice.