PDA

View Full Version : Fast Healing 10?

Matrota
2017-07-22, 12:18 AM
Hello Giants! I'm building a character for a very high level tournament-type thing my friends and I are doing, and I wanted a small bit of help. The character is focused on combat healing and being effectively impossible to keep down, and for that I've done some research into fast healing and regeneration. I could have sworn I saw a template that gave fast healing equal to half the creature's HD somewhere before, to a maximum of 10 (the highest fast healing I've found to date,) but I can't seem to find the source. Does anyone know which template or source this is, or if there's another method that gives even better fast healing?

For those especially interested, at the current moment he is a troll-blooded and feral shifter, with 20 levels in crusader and 5 levels in warshaper. We have 35 levels to work with for the tournament (meaning I have 10 left to swap around templates and classes), as well as 35th level WBL (7.9 million gp). We've agreed, so as to limit absurdity, to cap a warshaper's amount of bonus natural weapons to 1/3 ECL, since by RAW there is technically no limit. I'm kind going for an immune-to-damage build with insane healing just in case it falls flat. Was considering the corrupted template as well in case I couldn't find a better idea to buff his natural weapons by a lot and to give some much needed DR.

Being a crusader with the right stance and such, I can get off 15 natural attacks per attack granted by BAB, with pounce and haste making it 75 attacks total,so long as I'm not misunderstanding how BAB and natural attacks function together. With that, if I hit all 75, I heal 150 from martial spirit, 1 from regeneration, and any and all fast healing I possess, not including the benefit of having vampiric natural attacks via enchantments and such.

Celestia
2017-07-22, 12:25 AM
Paragon creature has fast healing 20. I don't think it has an LA, however, so it's not technically usable for PCs. If you're playing level 35, though, then nothing in the template should be unbalanced, so talk to your DM about what a fair LA should be.

OldTrees1
2017-07-22, 01:55 AM
Paragon creature has fast healing 20. I don't think it has an LA, however, so it's not technically usable for PCs. If you're playing level 35, though, then nothing in the template should be unbalanced, so talk to your DM about what a fair LA should be.

Paragon has a rather high LA (+11 IIRC AFB). You can extrapolate the LA by comparing the ECL of the Mindflayer with ECL of the Paragon Mindflayer.

Celestia
2017-07-22, 02:22 AM
Paragon has a rather high LA (+11 IIRC AFB). You can extrapolate the LA by comparing the ECL of the Mindflayer with ECL of the Paragon Mindflayer.
+11?! Damn, that's absurd.

AOKost
2017-07-22, 02:34 AM
Feral from Savage Species, p. 115, states that the creature gains up to Fast Healing 5 at 12 HD.

icefractal
2017-07-22, 03:04 AM
Once you have Fast Healing, the spell Healthful Rest can arguably double it.

Healthful rest doubles the subjects' natural healing rate.

Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

It's only a first-level spell, so even if you can't get a per-day item of it you can buy as many wands as you need.

Dread_Head
2017-07-22, 03:44 AM
Saint Template (BoED) gives fast healing of half your hit die (max 10) plus a boatload of other goodies. Does require exalted good though.

Also I'm not sure you quite understand how natural attacks work. You get one attack per natural weapon on a full attack but you can't make more attacks per round with them due to high BAB. Note it's potentially worth trying for the rapidstrike line of feats to remove this restriction.

Tiri
2017-07-22, 03:58 AM
The Corrupted Creature template from the Book of Vile Darkness does this.

Vaz
2017-07-22, 04:23 AM
Once you have Fast Healing, the spell Healthful Rest can arguably double it.

It's only a first-level spell, so even if you can't get a per-day item of it you can buy as many wands as you need.

The thing is, the "except for what is noted here" bit references the bit where it works every turn, so you'd double the natural healing rate, except the bit where it works every turn.

Edit - I know you said arguably, just clarifying why

Dancingdeath
2017-07-22, 04:38 AM
Paragon template can be found on page 209 of the ELH. It's variable based on HD in the book but LA +11 is the accepted standard for Pcs.

The Saint Template (BoED page 184) is in fact better for characters due to a much lower LA. Saint also gives damage reduction that scales with your HD to a max of 10/evil. And most DMs will throw a book at you if you try to apply the Paragon template to your character.

Thurbane
2017-07-24, 04:20 AM
The other template I know of that gives Fast healing equal to half HD (up to a max of 10) is Corrupted By The Abyss (EttDP), however it is LA -, so not a lot of use in a character build.

chimaeraUndying
2017-07-24, 01:49 PM
I'm kind going for an immune-to-damage build with insane healing just in case it falls flat.

Another way to pull this off (and with 35 levels, you've probably got room somewhere in the build for it) is combining delay death with beastland ferocity (both from SpC); note that this only lasts until the spells run out.

I hope you're also backing that up with some real high saves / an AMF / (selective) magic immunity, because it's highly probable that someone's gonna come at you with a save-or-die that doesn't deal damage or care about HP.

To cover the rest of your bases, you might wanna look into being a Clay Half-Golem (from MM2), which gets you immunity to a bunch of damage types, but more importantly, spells and supernatural abilities.

ATHATH
2017-07-24, 03:32 PM
Another way to pull this off (and with 35 levels, you've probably got room somewhere in the build for it) is combining delay death with beastland ferocity (both from SpC); note that this only lasts until the spells run out.

I hope you're also backing that up with some real high saves / an AMF / (selective) magic immunity, because it's highly probable that someone's gonna come at you with a save-or-die that doesn't deal damage or care about HP.

To cover the rest of your bases, you might wanna look into being a Clay Half-Golem (from MM2), which gets you immunity to a bunch of damage types, but more importantly, spells and supernatural abilities.
Wasn't there an update booklet that gave the Half-Golem template LA: --?

Also, may I recommend taking the Curst (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/curst.shtml) template? If your friends (or their characters, considering that they aren't likely to put points into knowledge skills for an arena fight) aren't familiar with it, they might not disintegrate your corpse or cast Remove Curse on it.

chimaeraUndying
2017-07-24, 03:43 PM
Wasn't there an update booklet that gave the Half-Golem template LA: --?

Quite possibly, but I haven't seen it. Certainly something OP should look into before sticking it on, though.

Also, may I recommend taking the Curst template? If your friends (or their characters, considering that they aren't likely to put points into knowledge skills for an arena fight) aren't familiar with it, they might not disintegrate your corpse or cast Remove Curse on it.

Curst are pretty cool (especially the cold/fire immunities) have a... bit of a downside:

Unkillable (Ex): Only two ways exist to destroy a curst permanently. One is to destroy its body (by total immersion in acid, or a disintegrate or undeath to death spell, for example). The other is to remove the curse that keeps it from dying. The caster of the remove curse spell must succeed on a caster level check (DC 10 + the curst's HD) to successfully remove the curse.

Alongside the statement in their description block that illustrates them as instantly dying if successfully whapped with a casting of remove curse, it seems like the sorta downside that's best compensated for by some form of total magic immunity.

Necroticplague
2017-07-24, 04:21 PM
Alongside the statement in their description block that illustrates them as instantly dying if successfully whapped with a casting of remove curse, it seems like the sorta downside that's best compensated for by some form of total magic immunity.

+1 spellblade * solves that problem quiet nicely.

*= any one of half-dozen Hidden Blades, Armor Spikes, Armor Razors, Poisoned Ring, Shield Spikes, Guantlets, Spiked Guantlet,Light Shield, Shield Spike, Heavy Shield, Axe-buckler

Crake
2017-07-25, 02:52 AM

As far as I can tell removing the curse doesn't instantly kill them, but rather enables them to die.

chimaeraUndying
2017-07-25, 08:55 AM
As far as I can tell removing the curse doesn't instantly kill them, but rather enables them to die.

I'm working off the RealmsHelps page for them (so the original source might say something different, but it says that:

Cursts are in no way controlled by their creators, and seldom serve them except to attain the mercy of death by means of a remove curse spell. That spell is the only way to destroy a curst permanently; upon receiving the spell, a curst crumbles to dust with a smile and cannot be resurrected.

... which seems pretty instantaneous to me.

Thurbane
2017-07-25, 04:58 PM
Both sources for the Curst agree on this:

A remove curse effect destroys a curst, causing it to crumble into dust.

Cursts are in no way controlled by their creators, and seldom serve them except to attain the mercy of death by means of a remove curse spell. That spell is the only way to destroy a curst permanently; upon receiving the spell, a curst crumbles to dust with a smile and cannot be resurrected.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-07-25, 05:08 PM
You can use the Therapeutic Mantle souldmeld to increase the healing received from Martial Spirit. At 31+ HD, your essentia capacity is 5, so that's +10 (incarnate 3 and 15, a feat, and a magic item each grant another point of capacity, so you could be healing 20 hp per hit).

Mike Miller
2017-07-25, 05:58 PM
Paragon template can be found on page 209 of the EKG. It's variable based on HD in the book but LA +11 is the accepted standard for Pcs.

The Saint Template (BoED page 184) is in fact better for characters due to a Mich lower LA. Saint also gives damage reduction that scales with your HD to a max of 10/evil. And most DMs will throw a book at you if you try to apply the Paragon template to your character.

What book did you reference with "EKG?"

Necroticplague
2017-07-25, 06:11 PM
What book did you reference with "EKG?"

It's a typo. If you look at the keyboard, 'l' is next to 'k' and 'h' is next to 'g'. They mean the ELH, for the Epic Level Handbook.

Crake
2017-07-25, 08:41 PM
I'm working off the RealmsHelps page for them (so the original source might say something different, but it says that:

... which seems pretty instantaneous to me.

Ah, that was part of the template description, I was just looking at the monster's ability and basing it off that, my bad.