PDA

View Full Version : One handed oriental weapon

noce
2017-07-22, 03:49 AM
I'm planning to build a Decisive Strike Monk, and I'd like to dip Exotic Weapon Master in order to pick Uncanny Blow.

To be able to make use of both class features, I should use a one-handed exotic monk special weapon.

To my knowledge, there's no such weapon, and there are no feats adding one-handed exotic weapons to monk list (longsword is martial, two-bladed sword and polearms are two-handed).

I'm quite disappointed that katanas (bastard swords) are not monk weapons.
I'd prefer to avoid things like kaorti longswords or similar tricks.

So, is there any such weapon? Or a feat that lets me use a hafted reach weapon in a single hand, or anything else really?

Tiri
2017-07-22, 04:08 AM
You could use a light monk weapon one size too large for you, making it a one-handed weapon for you.

Vaz
2017-07-22, 04:19 AM
There's Pole Master which allows a hafted reach weapon to be a Monk Weapon - but the Spinning Sword and Kusarigama (both one handed reach weapons) aren't hafted. There's Unorthodox Flurry, but that requires Flurry of Blows. If you want to go through the Magic Weapon route, then taking one of those Exotic Weapons, and taking the Aptitude Magic Weapon will let it count towards a Monk weapon.

noce
2017-07-22, 04:41 AM
There's Pole Master which allows a hafted reach weapon to be a Monk Weapon - but the Spinning Sword and Kusarigama (both one handed reach weapons) aren't hafted. There's Unorthodox Flurry, but that requires Flurry of Blows. If you want to go through the Magic Weapon route, then taking one of those Exotic Weapons, and taking the Aptitude Magic Weapon will let it count towards a Monk weapon.

I know about Aptitude Weapon, but I don't think it is intended to work that way and I consider this use of Aptitude Weapon a "trick" I don't want to employ.

It seems the only way I have to make it work is to take Shou Disciple 5. It lets you flurry with any weapon, but the DM is reasonable enough to apply it to Decisive Strike, too.
Any other ideas?

Thurbane
2017-07-22, 06:03 AM
You could use a light monk weapon one size too large for you, making it a one-handed weapon for you.

This is probably the easiest approach.

A longsword made of Kaorti Resin becomes an exotic weapon, IIRC. Not sure if this, combined with Whirling steel Strike, would work? Would require quite a feat investment, even if it did work. oops, just notice the preference not to use Kaorti resin in the OP.

Vaz
2017-07-22, 06:18 AM
I know about Aptitude Weapon, but I don't think it is intended to work that way and I consider this use of Aptitude Weapon a "trick" I don't want to employ.

It seems the only way I have to make it work is to take Shou Disciple 5. It lets you flurry with any weapon, but the DM is reasonable enough to apply it to Decisive Strike, too.
Any other ideas?

If they're willing to allow that, the Unorthodox Flurry feat (DragMag Compendium) might be an option.

DrMotives
2017-07-22, 06:51 AM
There's a bunch of them in the A&EG. Mechanically, most of those are no better than core martial weapons, but they fit the bill.

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-22, 09:52 AM
Are you locked in to monk as the class or can you be a "monk" but actually be another class?

noce
2017-07-22, 11:23 AM
Are you locked in to monk as the class or can you be a "monk" but actually be another class?

Unfortunately, Decisive Strike is an alternative class feature, so yes, monk is mandatory.

Anyway, I did just fine with 5 Shou Disciple levels, so the problem is solved! Thank you all for your help :)

SirNibbles
2017-07-22, 01:17 PM
I'd recommend the Kusari-gama from the Dungeon Master's Guide, pages 144-145. It's a one-handed, light, exotic weapon that has reach and can also be used to attack adjacent targets. You can also make trip attacks with it. Because it's light, it qualifies for the feat Unorthodox Flurry from Dragon Compendium, Volume 1, page 109.

To be able to apply Power Attack, simply get a Heavy weapon (Magic of Faerun, page 179) and wield it in two hands. This will also boost the damage- in the case of the Kusari-gama, 1d6 becomes 1d8.

EDIT: I took so long to write this with all the breaks I took, I got ninja'd by OP.

Prime32
2017-07-22, 09:07 PM
There's simpler options out there. If you don't want to use Dragon Magazine, then the Hook Sword from Secrets of Sarlona is a one-handed exotic monk weapon.

Darrin
2017-07-22, 10:44 PM
Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon Compendium) + Dragonsplits (MMIV) might be worth a look.

noce
2017-07-23, 03:24 AM
There's simpler options out there. If you don't want to use Dragon Magazine, then the Hook Sword from Secrets of Sarlona is a one-handed exotic monk weapon.

THIS kind of weapon is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. :)

Raxxius
2017-07-23, 04:12 AM
I'm a little out of touch, but aren't butterfly swords and temple swords also monk weapons? Both d6, butterfly can be dual wielded and temple has trip.

Might be thinking wrong system though.

noce
2017-07-23, 06:08 AM
I'm a little out of touch, but aren't butterfly swords and temple swords also monk weapons? Both d6, butterfly can be dual wielded and temple has trip.

Might be thinking wrong system though.

Never heard about those.
We play D&D 3.5, neither dragon magazine nor 3.0 allowed.

Anyway, hook sword from Secrets of Sarlona is perfectly fine.

Crake
2017-07-23, 09:34 AM
There's specifically an enchantment that makes any weapon count as an unarmed strike, allowing you to perform monk maneuvers with it: The ki focus ability, it's a +1 cost ability from, wait for it.... the DMG. Just apply it to the exotic weapon of your choice and you're set.

noce
2017-07-23, 09:45 AM
There's specifically an enchantment that makes any weapon count as an unarmed strike, allowing you to perform monk maneuvers with it: The ki focus ability, it's a +1 cost ability from, wait for it.... the DMG. Just apply it to the exotic weapon of your choice and you're set.

These attacks include the monk’s stunning attack, ki strike, and quivering palm, as well as the Stunning Fist feat.

You cannot use flurry (or Decisive Strike) with a ki focus weapon.

Crake
2017-07-23, 10:09 AM
You cannot use flurry (or Decisive Strike) with a ki focus weapon.

That is a non exhaustive list, a monk can flurry with an unarmed strike, a ki focus weapon counts as an unarmed strike, thus a monk can flurry (or decisive strike) with a ki focus weapon.

Tiri
2017-07-23, 11:30 AM
That is a non exhaustive list, a monk can flurry with an unarmed strike, a ki focus weapon counts as an unarmed strike, thus a monk can flurry (or decisive strike) with a ki focus weapon.

No, a Ki Focus weapon counts as an unarmed strike only for the purposes of a monk’s Ki Strike and Quivering Palm abilities, as well as the Stunning Fist feat. Not for anything else, which includes Flurry of Blows.

Crake
2017-07-23, 12:11 PM
No, a Ki Focus weapon counts as an unarmed strike only for the purposes of a monk’s Ki Strike and Quivering Palm abilities, as well as the Stunning Fist feat. Not for anything else, which includes Flurry of Blows.

No, "The magic weapon serves as a channel for the wielder’s ki, allowing her to use her special ki attacks through the weapon as if they were unarmed attacks." Flurry of blows is a special ki attack, and as I mentioned above, the list stated is a non exaustive list as it says "this includes" which means the list is not limited to the things listed. Just because flurry of blows is not listed there, doesn't mean it can't be used with flurry.

Ironically, nothing in quivering palm actually says it must be done with an unarmed strike anyway, so I would definitely not take that list as a rigorous constraint.

KillianHawkeye
2017-07-23, 12:19 PM
In what way is Flurry of Blows a "special ki attack"? :smallconfused:

Bohandas
2017-07-23, 12:48 PM
Use nunchucks/nunchaku

Zombulian
2017-07-23, 01:00 PM
No, "The magic weapon serves as a channel for the wielder’s ki, allowing her to use her special ki attacks through the weapon as if they were unarmed attacks." Flurry of blows is a special ki attack, and as I mentioned above, the list stated is a non exaustive list as it says "this includes" which means the list is not limited to the things listed. Just because flurry of blows is not listed there, doesn't mean it can't be used with flurry.

Ironically, nothing in quivering palm actually says it must be done with an unarmed strike anyway, so I would definitely not take that list as a rigorous constraint.

I... don't think that's true.

Raxxius
2017-07-23, 01:51 PM
Never heard about those.
We play D&D 3.5, neither dragon magazine nor 3.0 allowed.

Anyway, hook sword from Secrets of Sarlona is perfectly fine.

Took me a while to find it...

Butterfly sword is mentioned in ua, as a monk weapons group. But the actual reference is arms and equipment guide.

I dunno where arms and equipment sits in your group. It's technically 3.0 but it's referenced in 3.5 documents. Sooooo, dms choice I guess.

Tiri
2017-07-23, 06:23 PM
Flurry of blows is a special ki attack

It really isn't.

Gildedragon
2017-07-23, 06:43 PM
Alchemical Gold or Platinum light weapons would work

Bohandas
2017-07-24, 12:57 AM
I had always understood light weapons to also count as one handed weapons since they are weilded that way

Sagetim
2017-07-24, 02:03 AM
I seem to recall Temple Sword being introduced in Ebberon's Campaign Setting book, since it was unusual to see the monk get any kind of semblance of support (or at least, that was my perception at the time). Looks like you already got a good suggestion from Secrets of Sarlonna though (which, as I recall, is another Ebberon book anyway).

The Temple sword made a combat in Pathfinder in the Ultimate Combat book, under eastern weapons. Where it's still a monk/trip weapon, and is otherwise near identical to a longsword (1d8, 19-20/x2, etc etc).

noce
2017-07-24, 02:21 AM
I had always understood light weapons to also count as one handed weapons since they are weilded that way

A light weapon is easier to use in one’s off hand than a one-handed weapon is, and it can be used while grappling. [...] Using two hands to wield a light weapon gives no advantage on damage; the Strength bonus applies as though the weapon were held in the wielder’s primary hand only.

Emphasis mine.

Crake
2017-07-24, 03:07 AM
I... don't think that's true.

If it's not a special ki attack, then what would you define a special ki attack as? Quivering palm apparently is, yet it makes no mention of ki, or even a requirement to use an unarmed strike. Ki strike is obvious, the word Ki is in the name. Stunning fist likewise states it requires an unarmed strike, but again has no mention of ki in the ability at all. It's funny that ability even differentiates between a monk's stunning fist ability and the stunning fist feat, when they are exactly the same ability.

So then I must ask, what defines a "special ki attack"? I can't seem to find a common theme between the abilities honestly, beyond "they're monk abilities". Does Decisive strike count? What about other monk abilities like holy strike from complete champion?

I don't really see why you would use such a narrow ruling for an ability that is exclusive to monks anyway, do monks really strike you as too OP that being able to use flurry with a Ki Focus weapon is just too much?

Prime32
2017-07-24, 08:19 AM
I seem to recall Temple Sword being introduced in Ebberon's Campaign Setting book, since it was unusual to see the monk get any kind of semblance of support (or at least, that was my perception at the time). Looks like you already got a good suggestion from Secrets of Sarlonna though (which, as I recall, is another Ebberon book anyway).

The Temple sword made a combat in Pathfinder in the Ultimate Combat book, under eastern weapons. Where it's still a monk/trip weapon, and is otherwise near identical to a longsword (1d8, 19-20/x2, etc etc).The only weapons in the ECS are the double scimitar, sharrash (an exotic scythe with reach; was 19-20/x4 but got errata'd to 19-20/x2), tangat (an exotic falchion) and a pair of boomerangs. None of them are monk weapons, though there's an ability which lets you treat double scimitars as one.

As far as I know, the name "temple sword" is only used in Pathfinder.