PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Olive, Male Drow Cleric, rate my backstory?

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 03:58 AM
I've created a character for the league, in an attempt to make new friends. Gonna start looking for groups next month. I created a Drow Cleric, since I like playing clerics, but as a twist, my cleric is male. Rate my backstory for him:

During a battle between two drow families, the drow Izzvyr got separated from his squad and became lost. Wandering, with only a dagger he was given by his family, he found his way to the surface, in a forest. Seeking refuge, he came upon a cave and decides to take shelter there. Inside the cave he found the body of a cleric who appears to have died of old age. Thinking lowly of other races, he pushed the body aside to make room for himself inside the cave. As days go by, Izzvyr felt something in him that he never felt while in the Underdark: Peace. Finding a book in the body of the cleric, Izzvyr decides to read it out of boredom. It is a book of Eldath, and her words filled him with understanding of peace. Casting aside his past, he puts on the armor of the fallen cleric and gives himself a new name: Olive. Olive now protects nature and peace, for Eldath.

What do you think? If you were a DM, would you accept it?

Boci
2017-07-22, 04:12 AM
A bit Drizzty, but functional and straight to the point. I'd accept it, though perhaps some DMs will want a bit more detail on how walking into a temple and desecrating the corpse of a priests results in the God of the temple granting you divine power.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-22, 04:18 AM
As a fellow drow i have ta say bravo.you didnt drizt dro urden or drizt itso already got a two for originality.next must have been a good book see if the dm will let it be your symbol or your trinket.add 3points for intrest.but now whats bonding him besides peace.nature he saw the sun sure it hurt but it was a nice pain it was warm and beautiful words could not describe.add 2.5 points. Tally it up
7.5 out of 10 if i knew more of what you were planning or how he would be rolepayed id given it a higher score.

Jaelommiss
2017-07-22, 04:21 AM
Short and to the point. I'd accept it. It's nice to see a backstory that isn't a failed author's desperate attempt to force someone to read their rambling trash.

Though there is one question that I have.

During a battle between two drow families, the drow Izzvyr got separated from his squad and became lost. Wandering, with only a dagger he was given by his family, he found his way to the surface, in a forest.

Why did he not turn around and return to more familiar terrain? It's not a stretch to imagine that his entire life he's heard horirble things about the surface. He'd have no allies there and be actively hated by the natives. A scalding light floods the landscape for hours at a time. If he's trying to escape Drow society then it would make sense, but a soldier who was risking his life to uphold the ideals of his house doesn't seem like someone who do that.

Proposed solution: after the battle turned into a rout he was pursued by hostile forces. They chased him out to the surface, but he has no way back since they maintain control of that entrance and he is unaware of any others.

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 04:40 AM
A bit Drizzty, but functional and straight to the point. I'd accept it, though perhaps some DMs will want a bit more detail on how walking into a temple and desecrating the corpse of a priests results in the God of the temple granting you divine power.

It's just a cave, and he took up the armor to continue the cleric's work, so I assume Eldath accepts it.

As a fellow drow i have ta say bravo.you didnt drizt dro urden or drizt itso already got a two for originality.next must have been a good book see if the dm will let it be your symbol or your trinket.add 3points for intrest.but now whats bonding him besides peace.nature he saw the sun sure it hurt but it was a nice pain it was warm and beautiful words could not describe.add 2.5 points. Tally it up
7.5 out of 10 if i knew more of what you were planning or how he would be rolepayed id given it a higher score.

His trinket is actually his dagger which he still has, it has the usual drow designs, something for him to remember his family by, even though he cast his past away.

Short and to the point. I'd accept it. It's nice to see a backstory that isn't a failed author's desperate attempt to force someone to read their rambling trash.

Though there is one question that I have.

Why did he not turn around and return to more familiar terrain? It's not a stretch to imagine that his entire life he's heard horirble things about the surface. He'd have no allies there and be actively hated by the natives. A scalding light floods the landscape for hours at a time. If he's trying to escape Drow society then it would make sense, but a soldier who was risking his life to uphold the ideals of his house doesn't seem like someone who do that.

Proposed solution: after the battle turned into a rout he was pursued by hostile forces. They chased him out to the surface, but he has no way back since they maintain control of that entrance and he is unaware of any others.

I made Izzvyr a newbie warrior from his family, he didn't know how to get back after he got lost, and found himself in the surface. And it is true what you said, he didn't want to risk going back in and onto the 'welcoming' arms of the enemy family. The bright light from the sun is also the reason he quickly took refuge in the first cave he finds, where he found the body of the cleric.

Also, what do you all think that Olive is a MALE drow cleric?

Boci
2017-07-22, 04:45 AM
It's just a cave, and he took up the armor to continue the cleric's work, so I assume Eldath accepts it.

It was the resting of one of their priests, and the first thing he did was shove the corpse aside. I think I'd be okay with it as a DM, but some might want a bit more than reading a book out of boredom and a change heart to grant cleric levels. How long did he stay in the cave?

Its non-standard, but then most Drow PCs are. I personally don't not it higher than the other non-standard aspects of his character.

Basement Cat
2017-07-22, 04:49 AM
Maybe your character had a rock solid reason to be wary of returning to his own family. Something the likes of a Drow equivalent to "Come back with your 'shield' or on it" but in this case 'shield' was the head of an enemy waaayyy out of his league. Then he'd really be open to discovery.

Also, do all Drow automatically read Common? I don't have my PHB at the moment.

I like your background, btw. You could have thrown in a standard "An angel appeared before him" type encounter to explain his interest but you didn't and avoiding that cliche in itself is original.

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 04:51 AM
It was the resting of one of their priests, and the first thing he did was shove the corpse aside. I think I'd be okay with it as a DM, but some might want a bit more than reading a book out of boredom and a change heart to grant cleric levels. How long did he stay in the cave?

Long enough to get the Hermit background, since that's what he has. He was still in his evil drow mindset when he first got into the cave, which is why he shoved the cleric's body like trash. But after days turned into weeks, with nowhere to go, he finally feels the peace, and he becomes neutral. That's when he decides to prop the body into a sitting position to get a better look at the equipment, and he found the book. I'd say he's been in the caves for at least a month, slowly becoming good thanks to the peace of the forest and the book of Eldath he reads.

Herobizkit
2017-07-22, 04:53 AM
I find it interesting that a Drow might see his new, alien world as a wonder to explore without (most of) the fear of Lolth's lash. Interesting that he'd go with a Female patron, too, since he'd (probably) be used to having a "female" Divine in charge. Eldath would be the perfect guide for such a Drow.

Or Eilistraee. :smallbiggrin:

Boci
2017-07-22, 04:54 AM
Long enough to get the Hermit background, since that's what he has. He was still in his evil drow mindset when he first got into the cave, which is why he shoved the cleric's body like trash. But after days turned into weeks, with nowhere to go, he finally feels the peace, and he becomes neutral. That's when he decides to prop the body into a sitting position to get a better look at the equipment, and he found the book. I'd say he's been in the caves for at least a month, slowly becoming good thanks to the peace of the forest and the book of Eldath he reads.

But why did he stay for weeks in the cave? Even if he didn't want to risk returning to the Underdark, wouldn't he at least want to go somewhere else?

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 05:31 AM
But why did he stay for weeks in the cave? Even if he didn't want to risk returning to the Underdark, wouldn't he at least want to go somewhere else?

Where else can he go? He has nowhere else to go, and nature in the area is kind enough to supply him with suitable nourishment, likely thanks to the late cleric.

Boci
2017-07-22, 05:40 AM
Where else can he go? He has nowhere else to go, and nature in the area is kind enough to supply him with suitable nourishment, likely thanks to the late cleric.

Somewhere else? It just seems a bit weird that he finds himself driven from his home, and the first cave he finds he just decides "Well, I live here now". It sounds similar to the desert island narrative, except it lacks the sea explain why the character doesn't ever leave.

Unoriginal
2017-07-22, 05:55 AM
It's a nice backstory with some interesting ideas, but I have no idea why Eldath would make this guy a Cleric just like that.

Clerics are the chosen ones of the god they worship, it seems a bit easy to just put on an armor and decide to continue a Cleric's work to be enough for that. Plenty of warriors serve a god without ever becoming Clerics.

Also... Olive is a name that can be fitting in some circumstances, but is it meant to be comical here?

That he's a male is of no importance.

The only reason drow Clerics are women is because Lloth only accept women in her clergy. If a drow doesn't worship Lloth, there is no reason for their gender to matter.

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 05:58 AM
Somewhere else? It just seems a bit weird that he finds himself driven from his home, and the first cave he finds he just decides "Well, I live here now". It sounds similar to the desert island narrative, except it lacks the sea explain why the character doesn't ever leave.

Well where else can he go? He can't go back in case he finds the enemy family, or maybe he fears his own family since he failed and went to the surface. The cave has plenty of nourishment outside, and he doesn't know anywhere else to go in the surface, so why wouldn't he stay there for his own safety?

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 06:01 AM
It's a nice backstory with some interesting ideas, but I have no idea why Eldath would make this guy a Cleric just like that.

Clerics are the chosen ones of the god they worship, it seems a bit easy to just put on an armor and decide to continue a Cleric's work to be enough for that. Plenty of warriors serve a god without ever becoming Clerics.

Also... Olive is a name that can be fitting in some circumstances, but is it meant to be comical here?

That he's a male is of no importance.

The only reason drow Clerics are women is because Lloth only accept women in her clergy. If a drow doesn't worship Lloth, there is no reason for their gender to matter.

Olive (oil) is the symbol of peace, I did a bit of research. Olive has seen and experienced peace while living in the cave, and wants to help protect and preserve that peace. When taking up the armor and deciding to continue the late cleric's work, Eldath provides him with guidance. After all, he is a drow, and will need guidance.

Boci
2017-07-22, 06:03 AM
Well where else can he go? He can't go back in case he finds the enemy family, or maybe he fears his own family since he failed and went to the surface. The cave has plenty of nourishment outside, and he doesn't know anywhere else to go in the surface, so why wouldn't he stay there for his own safety?

Because before you add the religious component, its an unfulfilling life. He'd stay a few days, recover and get his bearings, but after that, most people would get bored, and when needing to choose between "safety in a cave alone" and "unknown danger of travelling elsewhere" will choose the later.

I guess its an interesting take on drow psychology, for a society of backstabbing sociopaths, isolation, a fate most of us fear, is actually paradise to them. I'd just tweak the background story to make that clearer.

Unoriginal
2017-07-22, 06:31 AM
Olive (oil) is the symbol of peace, I did a bit of research. Olive has seen and experienced peace while living in the cave, and wants to help protect and preserve that peace.

An olive branch is one of the symbol for peace, but what you're describing is inner peace or peace because the isolation means no one is here for conflict. Not really the same thing, symbolically. And it seems to me if he wanted to preserve that kind of peace he'd just stay in isolation.

When taking up the armor and deciding to continue the late cleric's work, Eldath provides him with guidance. After all, he is a drow, and will need guidance.

I still don't see why Eldath would give power to someone like that, who hasn't proven themselves in any way aside from adopting the religion, but eh, I suppose it could happen.

I guess its an interesting take on drow psychology, for a society of backstabbing sociopaths, isolation, a fate most of us fear, is actually paradise to them. I'd just tweak the background story to make that clearer.

Actually, given how drow are usually portrayed, isolation would be a nightmare for them. Drow might be chaotic evil backstabbers in general, but they need a social structure to provide them people to oppress and people to conspire against in order to climb the social ladder, as they love to do both.

Boci
2017-07-22, 06:36 AM
Actually, given how drow are usually portrayed, isolation would be a nightmare for them. Drow might be chaotic evil backstabbers in general, but they need a social structure to provide them people to oppress and people to conspire against in order to climb the social ladder, as they love to do both.

Drow are neutral evil, not chaotic evil, but yeah, it would be a non-standard take on their psychology, but then its a non-standard drow character.

Unoriginal
2017-07-22, 06:42 AM
Drow are neutral evil, not chaotic evil, but yeah, it would be a non-standard take on their psychology, but then its a non-standard drow character.

You're right, my bad.

I mixed it up with the non-drow elves and the fact that their goddess is chaotic evil.

Herobizkit
2017-07-22, 06:54 AM
Because before you add the religious component, its an unfulfilling life.To anyone else but a Hermit, I'd say that's true. But by nature (nay, by definition), a Hermit generally lives alone. If you take into consideration that a background is what an adventurer does before becoming a capital-A Adventurer, makes a lot of sense that he spent some time in peaceful nature and Eldath saw some potential in this Drow.

He'd stay a few days, recover and get his bearings, but after that, most people would get boredBut not Elves. Especially not Drow. He doesn't have to kowtow to Lolth priestesses, doesn't have to worry (much) about being backstabbed, turned into a slave, sent off to die for the glory of his House or whatever. He's got true peace in solitude. Some folks spend a lot of money for that... this guy has to do practically nothing for it.

For a new player who doesn't know much about the world or their role in society, Hermit is fine.

Picking a "unique and powerful discovery" should be very interesting.

To the OP, good on you, man/lady. Keep up the good work.

One final quirk. Common is likely not the Drow's frist tongue, so to take a "Common" name like Olive, a name that is traditionally a female name, adds to his being out-of-placeness, even if it wasn't intended.

Final note: I looked up a chart for making Drow names - http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/drownames.html - and I came up with "Ilphraen" as your 'secret' Drow name (the one you only tell certain people), which means "green apostle/disciple". :)

Boci
2017-07-22, 06:56 AM
To anyone else but a Hermit, I'd say that's true.

Yeah, but he's not a hermit when he arrives. He a drow warrior. Once he becomes a hermit, sure it works, but until then he needs a reason to stay.

But not Elves. Especially not Drow. He doesn't have to kowtow to Lolth priestesses, doesn't have to worry (much) about being backstabbed, turned into a slave, sent off to die for the glory of his House or whatever. He's got true peace in solitude. Some folks spend a lot of money for that... this guy has to do practically nothing for it.

I already offered that interretation of drow psychology to justify it.

Herobizkit
2017-07-22, 07:07 AM
Yeah, but he's not a hermit when he arrives. He a drow warrior.Technically, he's an NPC, "just a guy". Give an elf a dagger - doesn't make him a warrior. He didn't do so hot with the warrior-ing. And if a Drow can't be a warrior or a wizard, he's useless in traditional (read Salvatore's take on Drow society in the Dark Elf Trilogy) Drow culture.

A person can do all kinds of things before becoming a PC Adventurer, including nothing.

Once he becomes a hermit, sure it works, but until then he needs a reason to stay.

Why? Hey, I found a nice place where I can just chill out and relax. Modern society has us fooled into thinking we need to be doing SOMEthing, ALL the time. Fantasy worlds, especially ones with magic, don't. ESPECIALLY if you're an Elf.

Boci
2017-07-22, 07:11 AM
Technically, he's an NPC, "just a guy". Give an elf a dagger - doesn't make him a warrior. He didn't do so hot with the warrior-ing. And if a Drow can't be a warrior or a wizard, he's useless in traditional (read Salvatore's take on Drow society in the Dark Elf Trilogy) Drow culture.

A person can do all kinds of things before becoming a PC Adventurer, including nothing.

The OP said "I made Izzvyr a newbie warrior from his family". So, he's a warrior.

Why? Hey, I found a nice place where I can just chill out and relax. Modern society has us fooled into thinking we need to be doing SOMEthing, ALL the time. Fantasy worlds, especially ones with magic, don't. ESPECIALLY if you're an Elf.

Because that's what makes a hermit special. They are content to live alone in the wilderness, whilst others typically do not.

Herobizkit
2017-07-22, 07:40 AM
The OP said "I made Izzvyr a newbie warrior from his family". So, he's a warrior.And clearly a bad one, so barely a warrior. NPC's can have as many "jobs" as they want - (theoretically) only PC's (and some important NPC's, maybe, YMMV) get to be a Cleric. 70(ish) years is a long time to go from "barely a warrior" to Cleric. He "forgot" how to use a sword, favoring simple weapons instead, for example.

Boci
2017-07-22, 07:43 AM
And clearly a bad one, so barely a warrior. NPC's can have as many "jobs" as they want - (theoretically) only PC's (and some important NPC's, maybe, YMMV) get to be a Cleric. 70(ish) years is a long time to go from "barely a warrior" to Cleric. He "forgot" how to use a sword, favoring simple weapons instead, for example.

I'm unsure what this has to do with what I said. Its not a mechanical issue, he doesn't "forget" anything. His warrior weapons were likely his drow racial proficiencies.

Herobizkit
2017-07-22, 07:48 AM
I'm unsure what this has to do with what I said. Its not a mechanical issue, he doesn't "forget" anything. His warrior weapons were likely his drow racial proficiencies.Well, you got me there. I completely forgot that Drow get rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows as racial weapons.

FabulousFizban
2017-07-22, 08:06 AM
ugh, what is it with people and wanting to play drow?

Unoriginal
2017-07-22, 08:14 AM

Why would they not want to?

FabulousFizban
2017-07-22, 08:20 AM
Why would they not want to?

i get real sick of good aligned drow. To quote OotS

Haley: "Hey, aren't drow evil?"
Nale: "Oh my, no, not since they became a player race. Now the whole species consists of nothing but chaotic good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin."

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK! sarcasm.

Boci
2017-07-22, 08:32 AM
i get real sick of good aligned drow. To quote OotS

Haley: "Hey, aren't drow evil?"
Nale: "Oh my, no, not since they became a player race. Now the whole species consists of nothing but chaotic good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin."

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK! sarcasm.

Probably because in 5th ed they are a race in the players handbook, as valid as any other. In previous editions they were in the monster manual or splat, but now they're not.

And yeah, that's why I called this character a little Drizzty, because they were raised a drow yet turned their back on the society entirely, which to me is what makes a drow character dizzty. The way I see it you have 3 (well 5) options for making a drow PC:

1. They see the flaws of their culture and abandon it, embracing the values of a surface culture. Works, but as mentioned, a little drizzty.

2. They were abandoned/lost as a child and as such weren't raised drow. Works quite well, but a bit contrived, who would raise a drow baby their found? Still, not impossible.

3. They have no entirely abandoned the tenets of their drow society, but is reasonable enough to bend them to allow them to work with surface dwellers. Difficult, especially since some PCs will unfortunately take this as a licence to be an ******* "and you can't complain because I'm just roleplaying", but if done right, this is the most rewarding one in my mind at least.

4. All drow party.

5. Your DM has reworked the drow in their game, so the issue doesn't exist.

Hollysword
2017-07-22, 08:41 AM

It's not just drow, one of my favorite playable races is tiefling. Back in 3.5, I also played a succubus (best race ever). I just like playing 'evil' races with good alignments, which in 5e PBH would be drow, tiefling and chromatic dragonborn. Add Volo's and you might see me play a yuan-ti too. I made a kobold character in my spare time when I was bored once, and one of my Pathfinder characters was a goblin. But I digress.

the_david
2017-07-22, 09:07 AM
The bad news is that it's bad. The good news is that you can make it better.

The male drow cleric part isn't that original. It's something completely new to Izzvyr though, and you should roleplay it as such.

Your backstory has very little motivation. Now this can be fixed, maybe Izzvyr wants to bring peace to the drow. That would also be a pretty good reason for Eldath to pick Izzvyr as her cleric. If you don't want Izzvyr to go back underground you've got another problem. He has no friends, no family and no enemies. He's got the orphan backstory, which is the laziest attempt at a background you can have. It's telling the DM that your character has no connections to the world and lived in a void till that moment. A good character has a motivation and some NPC's to fall back on.
Instead of having him desecrate the corpse of a cleric of Eldath, you could have him actually meet a cleric of Eldath who can not only teach him the ways of Eldath, but also be an example to him.

I'm not even gonna say anything about the name Olive.

Lastly, I'm gonna warn you about playing a follower of the goddess of pacifism. The other players will likely dislike you for playing a pacifistic character. I suppose there is a right way to play one, but in the end D&D is a game where you solve confrontations by using violence. Even if you play the support character people will dislike you for not pulling your weight. It's generally a bad concept for a character.

Biggstick
2017-07-22, 09:22 AM
The bad news is that it's bad. The good news is that you can make it better.

The male drow cleric part isn't that original. It's something completely new to Izzvyr though, and you should roleplay it as such.

Your backstory has very little motivation. Now this can be fixed, maybe Izzvyr wants to bring peace to the drow. That would also be a pretty good reason for Eldath to pick Izzvyr as her cleric. If you don't want Izzvyr to go back underground you've got another problem. He has no friends, no family and no enemies. He's got the orphan backstory, which is the laziest attempt at a background you can have. It's telling the DM that your character has no connections to the world and lived in a void till that moment. A good character has a motivation and some NPC's to fall back on.

Instead of having him desecrate the corpse of a cleric of Eldath, you could have him actually meet a cleric of Eldath who can not only teach him the ways of Eldath, but also be an example to him.

I'm not even gonna say anything about the name Olive.

Lastly, I'm gonna warn you about playing a follower of the goddess of pacifism. The other players will likely dislike you for playing a pacifistic character. I suppose there is a right way to play one, but in the end D&D is a game where you solve confrontations by using violence. Even if you play the support character people will dislike you for not pulling your weight. It's generally a bad concept for a character.

I definitely like the idea of this Drow finding the Cleric of Eldath alive and well better then finding the corpse. It gives him a mentor/teacher/ally on the surface. This surface-dweller, who the Drow was probably taught to hate, showed the Drow compassion in a way that no one in the Underdark had ever shown before.

I heavily disagree with not pulling your weight. A Cleric can pull their weight from levels 1-20 without doing a single point of damage. Bless, Sanctuary, other restorative/buff/debuff spells, Dodge action, grappling, and the Help action are all ways a Pacifist character can contribute in combat without "resorting to violence." A Cleric, specifically a Life Cleric, is the class that is most well suited to successfully playing a Pacificst character successfully.

Boci
2017-07-22, 09:25 AM
I heavily disagree with not pulling your weight. A Cleric can pull their weight from levels 1-20 without doing a single point of damage. Bless, Sanctuary, other restorative/buff/debuff spells, Dodge action, grappling, and the Help action are all ways a Pacifist character can contribute in combat without "resorting to violence." A Cleric, specifically a Life Cleric, is the class that is most well suited to successfully playing a Pacificst character successfully.

Yes, but it can be a bit hard roleplaying-wise. "I'm a pacifist, I abhore violence. Here fellow party member, take this spell that will make your sword strikes more accurate"

FabulousFizban
2017-07-22, 09:28 AM
Probably because in 5th ed they are a race in the players handbook, as valid as any other. In previous editions they were in the monster manual or splat, but now they're not.

And yeah, that's why I called this character a little Drizzty, because they were raised a drow yet turned their back on the society entirely, which to me is what makes a drow character dizzty. The way I see it you have 3 (well 5) options for making a drow PC:

1. They see the flaws of their culture and abandon it, embracing the values of a surface culture. Works, but as mentioned, a little drizzty.

2. They were abandoned/lost as a child and as such weren't raised drow. Works quite well, but a bit contrived, who would raise a drow baby their found? Still, not impossible.

3. They have no entirely abandoned the tenets of their drow society, but is reasonable enough to bend them to allow them to work with surface dwellers. Difficult, especially since some PCs will unfortunately take this as a licence to be an ******* "and you can't complain because I'm just roleplaying", but if done right, this is the most rewarding one in my mind at least.

4. All drow party.

can also be a drow spy, pretending to be drittzy.

FabulousFizban
2017-07-22, 09:30 AM
It's not just drow, one of my favorite playable races is tiefling. Back in 3.5, I also played a succubus (best race ever). I just like playing 'evil' races with good alignments, which in 5e PBH would be drow, tiefling and chromatic dragonborn. Add Volo's and you might see me play a yuan-ti too. I made a kobold character in my spare time when I was bored once, and one of my Pathfinder characters was a goblin. But I digress.

yeah, but pathfinder goblins are rad as ****! who doesn't want to play a gremlin from Gremlins?

the_david
2017-07-22, 09:32 AM
Yes, but it can be a bit hard roleplaying-wise. "I'm a pacifist, I abhore violence. Here fellow party member, take this spell that will make your sword strikes more accurate"

Yeah, I can see healing your party members as an option. Buffing PCs so they can kill more efficiently is enabling violence.

Unoriginal
2017-07-22, 09:38 AM
Being a pacifist in principle doesn't mean you are against using violence at all cost. You could very well be willing to fight to save people or to allow more people to live in peace.

Biggstick
2017-07-22, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I can see healing your party members as an option. Buffing PCs so they can kill more efficiently is enabling violence.

Bless is a spell that also improves saving throws. Thus protection for the party member. The bonus to attack is something that, fluff-wise, your character might not even know about. All that you know is that Bless makes your party members safer.

You can fluff all of these things as you trying to calm the situation down or bring the conflict to a peaceful resolution. An example when providing the Help action.

Drow Cleric: "Everyone, please stop fighting! Put away your swords and let's discuss this like civilized folks!" (Unintentionally distracts the enemy, thus providing the Help action).
Ally who was being asked to put away their sword: Swings weapon with advantage at the distracted target.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-22, 03:33 PM

4. All drow party.

What about being brought to lolth for failure and am fleeing to the surface. Dont want to be a drider...
Also doesn't the far traveller background have underdark as a choice say you are a surface spy who evntually notices the cooperation of the lesser races. Giving a new
Lease on one thing your bond only.we will work together or die together.where did you get that ironically i learned it from a dwarf. Drow baby will be picked up by any monastary.literally monks take anyone as students
Ex criminals monsters

Boci
2017-07-22, 03:50 PM
What about being brought to lolth for failure and am fleeing to the surface. Dont want to be a drider...
Also doesn't the far traveller background have underdark as a choice say you are a surface spy who evntually notices the cooperation of the lesser races. Giving a new
Lease on one thing your bond only.we will work together or die together.where did you get that ironically i learned it from a dwarf. Drow baby will be picked up by any monastary.literally monks take anyone as students
Ex criminals monsters

Escaping failure is a good 4th option, but the drow baby picked up by the monastery is 2 in my post you quoted, and spy given a new lease on life is just the drizzty character moment only it happens midgame rather than during the background story.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-22, 04:25 PM
Escaping failure is a good 4th option, but the drow baby picked up by the monastery is 2 in my post you quoted, and spy given a new lease on life is just the drizzty character moment only it happens midgame rather than during the background story.

Yay i did fine yay

scalyfreak
2017-07-22, 08:00 PM

I think you gave him a somewhat misleading name.

The Aboleth
2017-07-23, 12:30 PM
Personally, I like the backstory.

I think some people are getting too hung up on the "Why did he choose to become a cleric so quickly?!" thing. Plenty of people in real life suddenly change religions after tragic or otherwise life-altering circumstances; why can't a Drow? He witnessed the slaughter of his family by a rival House in his first (or close to first) battle; after witnessing such chaotic bloodshed and barely escaping with his life, I can see him welcoming the peaceful serenity of the forest and choosing to dedicate his life to protecting and spreading that peace.

To me, it fits quite nicely. Great job!

Whit
2017-07-23, 03:48 PM
I would go with some of the points made.

1. Drow family name
2. Newbie to the house as a warrior which means 1 level warrior. Or you can say you were the servant errand boy. No levels
3. Your young
4. The house your clan fought
5 your not sure or you are that your clan lost.
6. During the fight you were separated and chased
7. You were forced out into the land above. It was daylight so they didn't pursue but you ran half blind to get away
8. You were found 1/2 dead starving in the wild. Perhaps injured by animals and taken in by a very old person. Who took care of you and after a long time gained trust abs learned from him who he serves.
9. He teaches you the faith and dies.
10. You burry him and upon touching the book to burry it with him you hear the gods words. You accept the path and start your travels to lvl 1.
11 this gives the DM play hooks.
12. Maybe Yiu are actually a young noble and your house won or loss and either side is looking to get you.
13. Word of a male Drow cleric sends Lloth in a rage sending female priests and warriors to kill you.
14. Maybe your contacted by male Drow who see that they too become priests good or bad.

Whit
2017-07-23, 04:04 PM
Add more to the story and you will have a great character. As for what god it's up to you and alignment.
You were the hooded cloak or helmet if you can to limit then seeing a Drow. You go out of your way to do a kind deed before revealing the Drow. Unless your evil.
I like it. Flesh it out.