PDA

View Full Version : Player Help UA Artificer: Mechanical Servant Ideas? (An unhealthy level of pre-planning)

Angrad
2017-07-22, 06:34 AM
Howdy folks, first time posting on the forums here but I figured I could maybe get some advice on a little conundrum I'm having with the Unearthed Arcana class "Artificer". More specifically, the class feature that is acquired at level 6: Mechanical Servant.

The feature allows you to create a companion of your choice using the stat block of any CR 2 or lower Large Beast. The Mechanical Servant ( MS ) gains a few benefits from being a Construct instead of a Beast ( And the creature itself doesn't actually HAVE to be the Beast I pick, it just uses the stat block ) but it does not have any growth beyond its initial creation ( barring any wondrous items, animal barding or other miscellaneous equipment I gather ).

My party doesn't need another meat ( metal ) shield, that is for sure. We've got a massive 7 player count and the good majority of them are melee focused martial, divine and arcane classes, so my thought was to go for a Beast stat block that had some more utility purpose to it: mainly leaning towards the idea of using the MS as a mount, but I'm having some issues without actually owning the books ( Aside from the PHB ) so I was hoping you guys could throw some fun suggestions at me for what Beast stat block would be most useful ( You can even throw in a theme or look if you want, I have my own general ideas but I'm still obviously working out the details ).

Keep a few things in mind here, aside from my massive party, our adventures are taking place in the Forgotten Realms and mostly consisting of Underdark shenanigans! I know that the Underdark can be a mixture of close-quarters caverns, fungal forests, and massive underground cities so I feel like any kind of movement can be potentially useful...
But the issue with trying to find a Beast that I can mount is in my big, fat, sassy dwarven ass...! Almost all of the Beasts I looked at that have interesting movement or abilites can't carry my stout little Artificer ( even with the Bag of Holding I crafted at level 2, I'm still looking at about 240 lbs. of Dwarf and Equipment ) so I guess I'd need a Beast with at least 16 Strength to properly haul around my big butt... I know there are a few Ox and Cow floating around some of the books but I feel like their stat blocks don't really provide me with much besides a big meat ( metal ) shield that I can pat my belly on while I fire off my Thunder Cannon.

The Beast stat blocks I had been mainly eyeing were the Giant Owl and the Female Steeder -- but the Giant Owl is far too low on muscle power to carry my hot dwarven bod across the skies to victory ( You are welcome for the visual ) and the Female Steeder is JUST shy of the proper strength ( Curses! ) but I can very easily get my hands on some lighter armor in the short sprint before I acquire my MS.

Did you guys have any ideas or suggestions for cool Beast stat blocks I can use? I have a general idea of how I want the MS to be shaped and designed, but feel free to share your ideas too! I appreciate any and all responses guys, thanks!