PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Swordmage for 5e

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-22, 06:36 AM
After discussion over in the 5e forums about "what is a gish" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531077-What-exactly-is-a-GISH), I pointed out that in many ways, the Swordmage from 4e was the best Gish in D&D history, in terms of flavor and balance. In fact, the Swordmage gave us the Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade cantrips from 'SCAG', which now form the basis for most popular "gish" builds in 5e. That said, I wanted to try updating this marking, teleporting, spell-fuelled warrior for 5e. Here we go!

Level__Prof__Spell_Points__Features_______________ _Cantrips Known_Spells_Known_
_1____+2_______2______Spell Casting, Sword Bond_______4_____________2______
_2____+2_______3______Fighting Style_________________4_____________3______
_3____+2_______9______Sword Mage Aegis, Arcane Fury___4_____________4______
_4____+2______10______Ability Score Increase___________5_____________5______
_5____+3______15______Extra Attack___________________5_____________6______
_6____+3______18__________________________________ _5_____________7______
_7____+3______21______Spellwoven Blade, Aegis Ability____5_____________8_______
_8____+3______24______Ability Score Improvement_______5______________9______
_9____+4______30__________________________________ _5_____________10______
_10___+4______34__________________________________ _6_____________11______
_11___+4______38______Swordmage Warding____________6______________12______
_12___+4______38______Ability Score Improvement_______6______________12______
_13___+5______43__________________________________ _6______________13_____
_14___+5______43__________________________________ _6______________13_____
_15___+5______49______Aegis Ability___________________6_______________14____
_16___+5______49______Ability Score Improvement________6______________14_____
_17___+6______56______Aegis Ability___________________6_______________15____
_18___+6______60__________________________________ 6________________15____
_19___+6______65______Ability Score Improvement_______6________________15____
_20___+6______70__________________________________ 6________________15____
CLASS FEATURES
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per Swordmage level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple Melee, Martial Melee, Simple Ranged
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
Skills: Choose 2 from Arcana, Athletics, Diplomacy, History, Insight, and Intimidate

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts, or (b) any simple weapon
(a) an explorer's pack or (b) a dungeoneer's pack
(a) Leather Armor and a Shield or (B) a Chain Shirt
A Martial Melee Weapon, and a Simple Melee Weapon

SPELL CASTING
Cantrips
At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the Swordmage spell list. You learn additional swordmage cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the cantrips known column of the Swordmage table.

Spell Points
At first level, you have a 2 spell points. You gain additional spell points as you gain swordmage levels. In addition, you have a number of additional spell points equal to your Intelligence modifier plus half your Swordmage level (rounded down) (minimum of 1).
You may expend these points to cast spells, expending a number of points equivalent to the level at which you are casting the spell, as shown on the table below. Additionally, you can use these spell points to trigger some of your abilities.

Spell Level | Points to Cast
___1st___ |____2pts____
___2nd___|____3pts____
___3rd____|____5pts___
___4th____|____6pts___
___5th____|____7pts___
___6th____|____9pts___
___7th____|___10pts___
___8th____|___11pts___
___9th____|___13pts___

Spells Known of 1st level and Higher
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the Swordmage spell list.
The spells known column of the Swordmage table shows when you learn more swordmage spells of your choice, and the maximum level at which you can cast spells. Spells learned must be of no higher level than you can cast.
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the swordmage spells you know and replace it with another spell from the swordmage spell list, which also must be no greater than the level of spells which you can cast.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your swordmage spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to recall the signs and incantations required to focus your magic. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a swordmage spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell Attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Sword Bond
At 1st level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one melee weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the weapon and forge the bond.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can't be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same place of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.
You can have up to two bonded weapons, but can summon only one at a time with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third weapon, you must break the bond with one of the other two.
While a weapon is bonded to you, it counts as an Arcane Focus for the purposes of your spellcasting, as long as you are proficient with that weapon.

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC

Dueling
While you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon

Great Weapon Fighting
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Arcane Fury
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to mix swordplay and arcane spells into a relentless assault against your enemies. On your turn, whenever you cast a spell with a casting time of One Action, you may expend an additional 2 Spell Points in order to reduce the casting time of that spell to a Bonus Action.

Extra Attack
At 5th level, when you take the attack action during your turn, you can make 2 attacks rather than just 1.

Spellwoven Blade
At 7th level, when you take the attack action during your turn or make an Attack of Opportunity, you can replace one of your attacks with any cantrip you know that has a casting time of 1 action or less.

Swordmage Warding
At 11th level, when you are wielding your Bonded Weapon, you can add your Intelligence modifier to your AC, as well as to any Saving Throw you are required to make.

Swordmage Aegis
At 3rd level you choose a Swordmage Aegis, representing the focus of your swordmage abilities and the way that you ply your arcane might in battle.
As part of your Aegis, you also learn the Swordmage's Mark. This mark is cast as a Bonus Action, and costs 4 spell points. Choose an enemy that you can see, which is no more than 30' away. That creature becomes marked by you. The appearance and nature of your mark is for you to decide, but the mark itself has no immediate effect on the target. Rather, that enemy becomes the focus of your Aegis abilities. The mark lasts for 10 minutes, until the creature dies, or until you choose to recast the mark against another creatures (by expending the 4 spell points again).

Beginning at 17th level, you can maintain your Swordmage's Mark against 2 creatures at the same time. You must expend 4 spell points to cast each individual mark, but the first mark does not automatically end when the second is cast.

Aegis of Assault
If you choose the Aegis of Assault at 3rd level, you use your arcane powers to pursue your foe no matter where they attempt to hide. Whenever the creature you marked makes an attack that targets a creature other than yourself, you may use your Reaction to teleport up to 30'. This teleport must place you within 5' of the creature, or else it fails and you are returned to the square you began from. Once you have completed this teleport, you may make a single melee attack against the target of your mark.

Relentless Mark
Beginning at 7th level, if the target of your Swordmage's Mark is killed, then at the beginning of your following turn you may use a Bonus Action to transfer your mark to another valid target, without expending the 4 Spell Points.

Ceaseless Tracker
Beginning at 15th level, your Swordmage's Mark lasts for 24 hours. Each day, you can extend your Mark for another 24 hours by expending 4 spell points, as though recasting it. While your mark is active, you extend the range of your teleport to 60', and your target cannot gain Concealment from you. Furthermore, while your mark is active, you can spend a bonus action to meditate on your target, discerning it's distance and direction from you at that given moment.

Aegis of Ensarement
If you choose the Aegis of Ensarement at 3rd level, you use your arcane powers to trap your foe and bring them to your blade. Whenever the creature you marked is within 30' of you and hits another creature with an attack, you may use your Reaction to teleport the target of your mark to any space adjacent to you. If the target of your mark is more than 30' away, this ability has no effect. Once you have completed this teleport, attacks made against the target have Advantage, until the end of your next turn.

Swordmage's Coordination
Beginning at 7th level, whenever you take the Attack Action during your turn, you may forego one of your attacks in order to let an ally within 5' of the target of your mark, make a single attack against it. You may only use this ability if you are within 30' of the target of your mark.

Arcane Tether
Beginning at 15th level, when you cast your Swordmage's Mark against the target, it becomes bound to your presence. If the creature attempts to move more than 30' away from you, it must pass a Will Save against your swordmage spell DC or else it can not move further away. If the creature is more than 30' from you at the start of each of its turns, it must pass a Will Save or else be compelled to end its move back to within 30', or as near to you as possible if it does not have enough movement to get within 30'.

Aegis of Warding
If you choose the Aegis of Warding at 3rd level, you use your arcane powers to protect others around you. When the target of your swordmage's mark targets another creature with an attack, if the target of the attack is within 30', you may use your Reaction to impose Disadvantage on that attack. You must be able to see the target of your swordmage's mark in order to use this ability.

Swordmage's Rebuke
Beginning at 7th level, when you use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the target of your swordmage's mark, if the attack still results in a hit, you may deal 2d6 Psychic damage to it. This increases to 3d6 at 11th level, and 4d6 at 17th level.

Swordmage's Shield
Beginning at 15th level, whenever you use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the target of your swordmage's mark, if the attack still results in a hit, you may transfer half of the damage dealt by the attack to yourself rather than the attack's intended target. This damage cannot be resisted or reduced in any way. You may do this in addition to your Swordmage's Rebuke ability. You must choose to take the half damage before the attacker rolls their damage.

Swordmage Spell List
Cantrips (o Level)
Blade Ward
Booming Blade (SCAG)
Chill Touch
Dancing Lights
Fire Bolt
Green Flame Blade (SCAG)
Hunter's Mark
Light
Lightning Lure (SCAG)
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Sword Burst (SCAG)
True Strike

1st Level
Burning Hands
Chromatic Orb
Color Spray
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Expeditious Retreat
False Life
Deather Fall
Fog Cloud
Jump
Magic Missile
Ray of Sickness
Shield
Thunderwave
Witch Bolt

2nd Level
Blindness/Deafness
Blur
Cloud of Daggers
Darkness
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Enhance Ability
Enlarge/Reduce
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Phantasmal Force
Scorching Ray
See Invisibility
Shatter
Spider Climb
Web

3rd Level
Blink
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Fear
Fireball
Fly
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Lightning Bolt
Protection from Energy
Sleet Storm
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Water Breathing
Water Walk

4th Level
Banishment
Confusion
Dimension Door
Greater Invisibility
Ice Storm
Stoneskin
Wall of Fire

5th Level
Cloudkill
Cone of Cold
Hold Monster
Telekinesis
Teleportation Circle
Wall of Stone

6th Level
Arcane Gate
Chain Lightning
Circle of Death
Disintegrate
Eyebite
Globe of Invulnerability
Move Earth
True Seeing

7th Level
Delayed Blast Fireball
Etherealness
Finger of Death
Fire Storm
Plane Shift
Prismatic Spray
Reverse Gravity
Teleport

8th Level
Earthquake
Incendiary Cloud
Power Word Stun
Sunburst

9th Level
Gate
Meteor Swarm
Power Word Kill
Time Stop
----------------

Alright, so - Thoughts?

Deleted
2017-07-22, 08:50 AM
Might just be me, but when I think of an actual Swordmage, I think of a class that has specific sword magic that doesn't really copy spells from the main list. They don't swing a weapon *or* cast spells, they integrate both at the same time... Swinging the sword or whatever is them casting a spell.

I've done the same thing in the past, don't get me wrong. Oh, and a Swordmage probably shouldn't get 9th level spells, look at the Paladin for example... They are actually quite the Swordmage in 5e.

JBPuffin
2017-07-22, 09:37 AM
Might just be me, but when I think of an actual Swordmage, I think of a class that has specific sword magic that doesn't really copy spells from the main list. They don't swing a weapon *or* cast spells, they integrate both at the same time... Swinging the sword or whatever is them casting a spell.

I've done the same thing in the past, don't get me wrong. Oh, and a Swordmage probably shouldn't get 9th level spells, look at the Paladin for example... They are actually quite the Swordmage in 5e.

I think the former is a flavor distinction, honestly; give them some special things if you want, but if they have a cone of fire ability there's no reason to not say "they get burning hands". The Paladin thing is right; maybe they don't normally learn up to 9th, but have Warlock Arcanum-style features at the appropriate levels?

The wards are fricken cool. 4e-style lockdown may not be the best in this addition, but it doesn't make it any less exciting to me.

Anymage
2017-07-22, 09:37 AM
First is an actual bug. I don't see anything about how to recover spell points. I assume it's on a long rest?

Second, another spell point related bug. Being able to flexibly spend them however you like means that swordmages gives a bunch more flexibility than most casters have. Either being able to cast shield all the time or being able to cast high level spells more often than any other caster, you're inviting brokenness.

Third, swordmage warding. Giving a flat bonus to AC is something this edition goes out of its way to avoid. A fighter dip can give full plate proficiency, which with warding and defense style gives a 24 AC. OTOH, before level 11, the best AC a straight swordmage can hope for is 13 (mage armor) + dex bonus. Not something I'd want on character expected to get into the thick of things.

Fourth, subclasses. They're a big thing in 5e. I'm not seeing anywhere in your system for subclasses to fit in.

Fifth, tied to the fourth. Swordmage in 4e was tied to how Defender was a clearly spelled out role and how Defender classes needed to be specifically built towards that end. In 5e, we already have Bladesinger and Eldritch Knight as "guy who mixes swords and spells". If you want to make a swordmage subclass for Fighter or Wizard that's inspired by those other subclasses, that might be a better launching point. (Remembering, for instance, that EK already has a weapon bond ability and the ability to mix spells with melee attacks in the same round.) A whole new class is both trickier to balance, and likely overkill

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-22, 04:49 PM

The spell list is the "A-Number-1" thing that I would be willing to modify, but this was a 5am all-nighter job so that I could fall asleep and not lay in bed all night mumbling statistics until the GF smothered me to death with the dog.
My original thought was to basically add a bunch more SCAG style "elemental hit" Cantrips like BB and GFB, but admittedly, I'm not terribly good at writing/balancing spells or coming up with a spell list. This is basically just a slightly more restrictive Sorcerer list with Misty Step added in.

Still, the class does do a good job with the mixing of spells and swordplay. Consider, you have Metamagic: Quicken built into the class, and can also forego an Attack to cast a spell. That actually needs an edit, I think - that should say that you can cast any spell requiring a weapon attack or range of 'touch.' I'm AFB right now and replying on mobile.

The Paladin thing is right; maybe they don't normally learn up to 9th, but have Warlock Arcanum-style features at the appropriate levels?

The wards are fricken cool. 4e-style lockdown may not be the best in this addition, but it doesn't make it any less exciting to me.
Glad you like the Wards. I didnt want to just stop at
"Hey, it's a Paladin with Arcane instead of Divine lists"
so I figured that the Wards would be a good way to give the class its own unique flavor, while hearkening back to the mechanics of the Swordmage.

First is an actual bug. I don't see anything about how to recover spell points. I assume it's on a long rest?

Second, another spell point related bug. Being able to flexibly spend them however you like means that swordmages gives a bunch more flexibility than most casters have. Either being able to cast shield all the time or being able to cast high level spells more often than any other caster, you're inviting brokenness.

Third, swordmage warding. Giving a flat bonus to AC is something this edition goes out of its way to avoid. A fighter dip can give full plate proficiency, which with warding and defense style gives a 24 AC. OTOH, before level 11, the best AC a straight swordmage can hope for is 13 (mage armor) + dex bonus. Not something I'd want on character expected to get into the thick of things.

Fourth, subclasses. They're a big thing in 5e. I'm not seeing anywhere in your system for subclasses to fit in.

Fifth, tied to the fourth. Swordmage in 4e was tied to how Defender was a clearly spelled out role and how Defender classes needed to be specifically built towards that end. In 5e, we already have Bladesinger and Eldritch Knight as "guy who mixes swords and spells". If you want to make a swordmage subclass for Fighter or Wizard that's inspired by those other subclasses, that might be a better launching point. (Remembering, for instance, that EK already has a weapon bond ability and the ability to mix spells with melee attacks in the same round.) A whole new class is both trickier to balance, and likely overkill

1. Yes, spell recovery is on Long Rest. I'll make an edit later to add that in.

2. Yes, they can flexibly spend their points, but this is not much different that what the Sorcerer already does. The difference is that Sorcerer's cannot make high level slots.
I have played campaigns with the Spell Point system, and haven't found it to be particularly broken. High level slots eat up your spells-per-day quite quickly. Yes, you can cast 2-3 9th level slots, but that's all you're casting.
Furthermore, the Swordmage only gets half the Spell Points that a full caster would get, plus up to 15 more points. This gives them approximately half the daily spell slots of any Full Caster, if they convert their points down into a regular number of slots.
Keep in mind too, that they are also using these points to fuel their other abilities. Casting their Mark is essentially a 2nd level Spell, and their built in Quicken is very nearly a 1st level slot on it's own.
This class has the ability to "top load" their slots, but I doubt that you'll see it in play. This class is designed to burn through those points fairly quickly, and the only reason that I didn't give them proper slots is for the same reason that I hate the Warlock slot progression: if you want to cast multiple smaller spells, you end up wasting larger slots and get no trade off.
I might consider doing a little match and giving them their upper levels spells as 1/day abilities, like the Warlock gets. Someone mentioned this earlier. The issue I have then, is that I need to make sure they're still left with enough spell-points at the low end to feel relevant.

3. This was tricky, and I agree with you that it needs work. Originally, the Swordmage was only proficient with Leather Armor, and then got +1AC which improved to +3AC if they had a free hand.
My knee-jerk reaction was to give them access to Full Plate, take away Fighting Styles, and give them the +1/+3 as a feature. I thought that was silly though, as it's essentially just Defense Style and then a Shield, if they want it.
Perhaps, however, it would be best to remove the ability to use their weapon as an Arcane Focus, so that they have to use a 2H weapon or keep a hand free or use Warcaster, and then give them the +1/+3 as it originally was. That would impose more of a Feat Tax on any dual wielding or shield mastery shenanigans anyone might come up with, and also keep with the 5e idea that a proper Gish wears full plate.

4. There are subclasses though. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough, but the subclasses are the various Aegis effects:
Aegis of Pursuit
Aegis of Ensnarement
Aegis of Warding
The ability to cast the Swordmage Mark is common to all three sub classes, which is why I put it in as more of a "feature" rather than typing it 3 times, but the effects of that Mark change with each subclass you choose.

5. I could have made a subclass of Fighter or Wizard or Sorcerer, yes. But firstly, they already have gish-y subclasses, and secondly, we do not have an Arcane Half Caster right now.
In 4e, the Swordmage was on the very low edge of being a Defender. They didn't not have great AC or HP compared to some of the more tank-like Defenders. Instead, they "defended" by having a unique way to mark enemies and either punish them for not obeying the mark, or bringing them back to center when they disobeyed the mark.
In play the Swordmage could be an off-striker, off-controller, or off-leader in many ways, and titling it as a Defender was just WotC's way of saying, "hey, you're gonna Mark a lot" which is really the biggest commonality it shares with the Defender archetype.

This iteration of the Swordmage still maintains that. Yes, you have Fighter or Paladin levels of AC and HP. You have the capabilities of the 5e "front-liner" class (especially when I fix the AC bump from Warding).
However, the class can also have quite a lot of mobility to get around like the lighter classes do. Or, it can be a very sticky, controller-y type tank that locks opponents within 30' and then keeps returning them to contact if they break the rules. Or, it can be almost a pseudo-Bard, handing out Disadvantage, damage reduction, and free attacks to allies around the field.
--------

The over all goal of the class was to emulate the Paladin6, Sorcerer14 MC, but in a unique and "tidy" way. When you compare it to that, you get:

All Armor, all Weapons
Fighting Style
Extra Attack + Smite as an equalizer
--lay on hands
--aura
--channel Divinity
Arcane List including all SCAGs and Shield
Font of Magic
Metamagic
7th level spells known
9th level spell slots

My character seeks to have
> similar Proficiencies, as well as a similar AC and HP.
> They still get Fighting Style (at the time of writing, edit likely incoming to Warding)
> They get Extra Attack
> Rather than Smite as an equalizer they get the ability to cast the melee Cantrips as part of a standard attack action, so an 11th level Swordmage could easily throw out
2d12+3d8+2Str (36.5) damage with the rider as part of an attack action. (Fighter with GreatAxe deals 3d12+3Str = 33.5)
> Aegis effects instead of Channel Divinity and Oath abilities
> Rather than Metamagic, they get only Quicken
> Spell Points rather than Font
> It needs work, but the goal is to have a Half Caster who can toss 9th level spells, on very limited slots.

Deleted
2017-07-22, 05:06 PM
I think the former is a flavor distinction, honestly; give them some special things if you want, but if they have a cone of fire ability there's no reason to not say "they get burning hands". The Paladin thing is right; maybe they don't normally learn up to 9th, but have Warlock Arcanum-style features at the appropriate levels?

Then why make a specific class if they are just a Wizard with the Blade Tradition? Or a Paladin? Or EK?

Without distinct special things, you don't have a new class.

Sicarius Victis
2017-07-23, 02:39 PM
1. A class like this shouldn't get up to 9th-level spells. At best it should be a half-caster, for up to 5th-level.
2. 5e has completely done away with additional spells-per-day from a higher casting stat, so the class shouldn't add their INT bonus to their spell points.
3. If they get to add 1/2 their Swordmage level to their spell points, why bother to point that out in the ability description rather than, you know, just adding that to the amounts of points listed in the table?

JBPuffin
2017-07-23, 08:44 PM
Then why make a specific class if they are just a Wizard with the Blade Tradition? Or a Paladin? Or EK?

Without distinct special things, you don't have a new class.

It took me a minute to figure out why you're fussing at me...The wards are completely new, first off. Spell points as their only spell casting - not psion numbers, this is its own thing, or just referring to the DMG, is also new. If you have to reinvent the wheel to have a new class, that's on you; personally, i don't have the neurological fault and find a couple of distinctive elements enough to differentiate one class from another. If being different matters so much to you, play an EK, then play one of these, and see how different it feels...believe me, it's enough.