PDA

View Full Version : Replacement character

Biotroll
2017-07-22, 07:22 AM
Hello playground,
my character (rogue mastermind) died in last session and I was thinking about replacement since then and I cannot simply decide what to play. So I came here for an advice. Our party grew as few more people joined since we started.

1) Party
We have quite big party and usually there are at least five of us at table at once. The party is at 5th level and is very melee heavy:

Half-orc bear barbarian - high str and con, lots of HPs. Our tank and damage dealer.
Human berserker barbarian - our unluckiest player. Unlike bear barbarian he is using armor and shield so he has good AC and he still gets downed the most.
Scourge aasimar paladin of vengeance - heavy damage dealer with smites and greatsword. Refuses to use any ranged weapons.
Wood elf assassin rogue - expertise in sneak and persuasion, usually stays in the back and shoots bow.
Hill dwarf life cleric - gets into melee often. I only seen him cast spiritual weapon and cure wounds.
Half-elf coast druid - changes spells often to find what he likes to do. Uses thorn whip often.
and me :smallsmile:

2)What is allowed and what is not
In general anything in books (Volo's, EE, SCAG) is allowed. UA is allowed after DM checks it and says it is okay. There are only few things that are no go:
No mystics - DMs decision and I respect it.
No half-elves - in DMs world half-elves are very rare as elves don't interact much with other races and when half-elves are born they are mostly full elves or full humans. Druid got exception after some backstory negotiation.
No lore bard - this is my limitation. I already play lore bard in other group and I wish to play something else.

3)Stats
We are using our special version of generating ability scores we call "the grid". At the start there was only five of us + DM. Everyone including DM rolled a set of stats. In the end we had 6 sets of stats that were arranged to make the grid. You could then choose any column or row or diagonal line as long as nobody else picked the same set of stats. That way everyone gets to roll for stats (which we like) and you don't get screwed by rolling badly as you can pick a different set of stats. Unfortunately our original grid got lost and new one was generated:

Everything except the one colored row is still open for taking.

So what would you recommend playground? The character I was thinking about the most was probably mountain dwarf storm sorcerer with heavy armor and hammer who could go melee if needed until I realized I could do much better by just going tempest cleric. Since then I had several ideas but did not commit myself to any of them. Expected level range is from 5th to 15th level.

JumboWheat01
2017-07-22, 08:14 AM
Definitely something ranged, you have a lot of front-line muscle there. That level range could let you leverage a lot of power out of Eldritch Blast if you're willing to go Warlock. Snagging the Tome and its Invocation so you can cast Ritual Spells will bring a lot of extra utility to the party. Lets your Cleric and Druid prepare other spells to use too, instead of holding onto ones they may need as Rituals just in case.

Thinking Lightfoot Halfling Warlock.

STR - 12, Dex - 13 (11+2), Con - 15, Int - 8, Wis - 11, Cha - 18 (17+1)

Spend your first ASI on either Resilient (Con) to even that out, and your Level 8 ASI on Moderately Armored (Dex) to get Medium Armor and the max Dex needed to fill it out, give you a bit more defense that way, or switch the order of those two. Then you can fill out your Cha at 12, since 18's a really good number to start out with. Will give you a fairly sturdy arcanist who blasts things at range and can avoid hits in melee.

Finger6842
2017-07-22, 09:40 AM
Take diagonal top left to bottom right 11 17 18 11 9 13
STR 11 DEX 17 STA 13 INT 18 WIS 11 CHA 9
Add Human
STR 12 DEX 18 STA 14 INT 19 WIS 12 CHA 10
1 Priest
2 Wizard
3 Wizard
4 Wizard +ASI
STR 13 DEX 18 STA 14 INT 20 WIS 12 CHA 10

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-22, 09:30 PM
Ready goblin wild magic sorcerer become the nilbog.
Magic Mike skald bard.who uses instruments as weapons and strips and He is a half orc.
bitey the lizardfolk monk two variants crocodil like the drug go death monk or shadow monk either or. Second bitey variant godzilla sunsoul monk.

Hmm full orc barbarian the cuddler. Needs to hug foes and wrestles every foe. Take the spiked armor barb from scag get tavern brawler and grappler.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-22, 10:05 PM
Bard or Feylock Eldritch Blaster your team of Attackers would Merder with a Faerie Firer

Biotroll
2017-07-23, 06:46 AM
Thanks for ideas. I was thinking about making warlock, but I was put off by the fact that our party is long rest oriented. Well, two more questions then:
1) Anyone played Raven Queen warlock? It doesn't seem overpowered and Raven Queen seems to have some role in our campaign. I thought about making plague doctor (or something similar) raven queen warlock.
2) Any experiences with healer or inspiring leader? Does it motivate your party to rest more often? As warlock doctor I might pick up both of them but I am afraid that it won't be enough to make at least one or two short rests per adventuring day. Right now it's usually just one long rest or one short and one long rest per adventure day.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-23, 10:02 AM
Thanks for ideas. I was thinking about making warlock, but I was put off by the fact that our party is long rest oriented. Well, two more questions then:
1) Anyone played Raven Queen warlock? It doesn't seem overpowered and Raven Queen seems to have some role in our campaign. I thought about making plague doctor (or something similar) raven queen warlock.
2) Any experiences with healer or inspiring leader? Does it motivate your party to rest more often? As warlock doctor I might pick up both of them but I am afraid that it won't be enough to make at least one or two short rests per adventuring day. Right now it's usually just one long rest or one short and one long rest per adventure day.

If his is the case i would suggest only 2-3 levels of warlock and then go into sorcerer. Raven queen would be great, basically free scout, pick up you favorite invocation and then use those spell slots for Sorcerer fuel, start quickening EBs or what have you. Sorlock is a good blaster combo.

GorogIrongut
2017-07-23, 10:40 AM
You said this is going to go from level 5 to 15, so I'm assuming that your character starts at level 5.
Hill Dwarf
Stone Sorceror 4/Knowledge Cleric 1
2nd Vertical row...
Str 10
Dex 11
Con 19(17+2)
Int 9
Wis 17 (16+1)
Cha 16

You start with a base, unarmoured ac of 17. Each level your hit points are d6+2+constitution modifiers (+4 to start with). I'd do Sorceror as your first level to get the con proficiency save. So you'd start with 12 hit points... odds dictate 3d6 come out at 10.5 hp and 1d8 at 4.5. So that's 15 more hit points plus all the other modifiers (24), which comes to a total of 51 hp which is GREAT for a level 5 sorceror.

You're a full caster. You get metamagic. One level of cleric gives you some needed spell flexibility (identify, healing, bless, cleric cantrips, guiding bolt, etc.) considering the biggest complaint of being a sorceror is the limit on spells known. You also get access to my favourite trick... Disguise Self + Friends for great social shenanigans.

Knowledge cleric gives you weapon and armour proficiencies. It gives you 2 languages and 2, much needed, skill proficiencies that count as expertise.

The dwarven chassis comes with all kinds of goodness (poison resistance, stonecunning, dark vision, etc.).

You'd get one ASI, and honestly, I would put it towards something like Durable, that boosts your constitution the last one point it needs to get to 20 while boosting your hit points nicely. That or I would go for a simple +1 to con/wis to even those out. Either increases your Con into the +5 range thus increasing your hit points by 5 to 56. And increasing your AC to 18 unarmoured. Later on I would probably use your next ASI to boost your Charisma to 18.

Of all the options, I'd personally go first for Durable and then for your 2nd ASI, I'd go Resilient Wisdom. But that's my own personal preference. I like evening out Wisdom while simultaneously gaining proficiency in it.

p.s. Durable
Increase your Constitution by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, the amount of hit points regained is equal to the die roll plus twice your Constitution modifier.

Even if you roll a 1 on a d6, you're still getting 11 hit points per hit dice you roll. You can recover like a boss. You may not want to tank, but you can if you so choose.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-23, 11:33 AM
You said this is going to go from level 5 to 15, so I'm assuming that your character starts at level 5.
Hill Dwarf
Stone Sorceror 4/Knowledge Cleric 1
2nd Vertical row...
Str 10
Dex 11
Con 19(17+2)
Int 9
Wis 17 (16+1)
Cha 16

You start with a base, unarmoured ac of 17. Each level your hit points are d6+2+constitution modifiers (+4 to start with). I'd do Sorceror as your first level to get the con proficiency save. So you'd start with 12 hit points... odds dictate 3d6 come out at 10.5 hp and 1d8 at 4.5. So that's 15 more hit points plus all the other modifiers (24), which comes to a total of 51 hp which is GREAT for a level 5 sorceror.

You're a full caster. You get metamagic. One level of cleric gives you some needed spell flexibility (identify, healing, bless, cleric cantrips, guiding bolt, etc.) considering the biggest complaint of being a sorceror is the limit on spells known. You also get access to my favourite trick... Disguise Self + Friends for great social shenanigans.

Knowledge cleric gives you weapon and armour proficiencies. It gives you 2 languages and 2, much needed, skill proficiencies that count as expertise.

The dwarven chassis comes with all kinds of goodness (poison resistance, stonecunning, dark vision, etc.).

You'd get one ASI, and honestly, I would put it towards something like Durable, that boosts your constitution the last one point it needs to get to 20 while boosting your hit points nicely. That or I would go for a simple +1 to con/wis to even those out. Either increases your Con into the +5 range thus increasing your hit points by 5 to 56. And increasing your AC to 18 unarmoured. Later on I would probably use your next ASI to boost your Charisma to 18.

Of all the options, I'd personally go first for Durable and then for your 2nd ASI, I'd go Resilient Wisdom. But that's my own personal preference. I like evening out Wisdom while simultaneously gaining proficiency in it.

p.s. Durable
Increase your Constitution by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, the amount of hit points regained is equal to the die roll plus twice your Constitution modifier.

Even if you roll a 1 on a d6, you're still getting 11 hit points per hit dice you roll. You can recover like a boss. You may not want to tank, but you can if you so choose.

Maybe switch con and wis, that way is 18 for both and you can just use an asi to +2 them .
Yeah this really good. I would change knowledge domain to Death domain though. And ask if you can grab the starter spell UA spell 'Toll the Dead' . Its a necromancy cleric and warlock cantrip. it does 1d12 (2d12 at th level) to target if is missing hp, and death domain level 1 feature lets you target another guy thats 5 feet away from your target and still in range for it. Range is 60 feat. Quicken it and you can hit four people for 2d12 each if they are clumped together. Its a wis save though so there's that.

Maybe check racial feats as well. Dwarven resilience lets you heal every time you take the dodge action. Thats pretty neat for a half feat .