PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew campaign help please.

Darke
2007-08-08, 04:02 AM
Ok, I am beginning a campaign and one of the characters has a giant crossbow, about the size to launch javelins, I need to figure out strength.

any help would be appreciated.

Edivad
2007-08-08, 04:12 AM
A ballista from the SRD has the following stats:
damage: 3d8, threat range: 19-20, range increment: 120 ft.

A ballista is essentially a Huge heavy crossbow fixed in place. Its size makes it hard for most creatures to aim it. Thus, a Medium creature takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls when using a ballista, and a Small creature takes a -6 penalty. It takes a creature smaller than Large two full-round actions to reload the ballista after firing.

You might lower the damage a bit, as, even if "giant"', it's still not going to be "Huge".

Darke
2007-08-08, 05:09 AM
I am planning on making it a hand held ballista

maybe lower damage to 2d8 and make it 18-20 critical, seing as it will most likely pin an iron golem through a stone wall.

I need to figure out how much it would cost and wiegh.

Wulfen
2007-08-08, 05:42 AM
unless the character is at least large size, then i don't see how your going to carry and fire something that huge. A hand held ballista is just a heavy crossbow.

It might work with some sort of stand, but reload times are going to be a issue. Other than for static siege defense i dont see it being practical or useful. (not saying that would STOP most adventurers thought :smallsmile: )

Darke
2007-08-08, 06:50 AM
What about somewhere between ballista and heavy crossbow?

Btw, the character is a half elf.

what would be ammunition?

Zeta Kai
2007-08-08, 07:04 AM
What about somewhere between ballista and heavy crossbow?

Btw, the character is a half elf.

what would be ammunition?

A half-elf? Wielding a handheld ballista? Oh, that's rich.

Seriously, without some major strength boosts, that is never going to work.

An goliath? Why not. A ogre? It could be done. A half-ogre? It's a stretch, but I could see it. But a half-elf? Please. Why don't you just make a gnome with a handheld donkey-pult?

Darke
2007-08-09, 01:28 AM
Hey, not my character, I am DMing, and I love the idea.

okay, 2d8 damage, x3 critical, 18-20 critical range, 20 lb, 100 gp, move or shoot, 2 full round actions to reload unless special feat taken.

Javelinesque ammo, 1 gp for 5 ammo, quiver cost 1gp.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 02:27 AM
The romans invented a giant crossbow that was about 2/3rds the size of a person, and you had to point it to the ground and use your entire body weight to load it.

Here we go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpio_%28Dart-thrower%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes

Some suggestions...

Way too powerful. More powerful than a few D20 guns.

Well... if you balanced it, maybe an attack penalty, it might not be too powerful. I'd suggest a 1d12 perhaps, though. Compare the damage.... Will you be just as hurt being cut by a greataxe as you would being poked by one of these?

Need two hands to operate. No feat to reduce loading time! ;-)

I saw a demonstration of the weapon on PBS and it took some considerable effort and time to load the thing. And I recall the arrows were not javelin sized, but were about 2 feet long or so, maybe 1 and a half.... it's been years.

Make it strength oriented. If it's an exact replica of the Gastraphetes or Scorpio, a character will need some decent strength. Anything larger or more powerful than that, though, forget about it. ;-) At the very least, give him a -2 penalty to hit with it or something. Have you ever tried to hold a 20 lb gun that's 5 feet long steady? It ain't easy. >_>

Also, most crossbows are a x2 critical, not x3..

And you're the DM, if he wants to use a giant crossbow, allow him to... but make it balanced enough so that he's not wtfpwning everything. :-P

Darke
2007-08-09, 02:47 AM
Not based on romans, plenty of other people have made things way more OP than this, they have not been flamed.

ok, howabout:

D12 damage, critical 18-20, x3, -2 to hit, range 200ft, medium load movement, 2 full actions to reload, cannot double movement, cannot move in the same turn as shooting or reloading.

Nawyria
2007-08-09, 06:14 AM
Not based on romans, plenty of other people have made things way more OP than this, they have not been flamed.

ok, howabout:

D12 damage, critical 18-20, x3, -2 to hit, range 200ft, medium load movement, 2 full actions to reload, cannot double movement, cannot move in the same turn as shooting or reloading.

I'm convinced no single weapon should have a 18-20 Threat range and a x3 critical damage modifier while still doing an amazing amount of damage. I would personally simply take the statistics for a Heavy Crossbow, 1d10 damage, 19-20/x2 and increase the die size to fit that of a Large Heavy Crossbow, the way weapons normally grow larger.
If I'm correct that should increase the damage done to 2d8 damage. The range difference between a Light and a Heavy crossbow is 40 ft. and a Light Crossbow is basically a small Heavy Crossbow; so I would suggest putting the range increment at 160 ft.
This is basically a Heavy Crossbow like Large Creatures use. Make it 2 full round actions to reload, reduced to 1 full round action with the Rapid Reload feat, and you'll be fine.
These kinds of crossbows, basically Arbalests, cannot be fired unless you've got something to balance the Crossbow on, a standard, or a wall. Have the character carry around a standard aswell he has to place the Crossbow on.

Final statistics:

Large Heavy Crossbow, 2d8 damage, critical 19-20/x2, range 160ft. Requires 2 full round actions to reload. Requires a standard to set the Crossbow on in order to fire accurately, costs 1 full round action to set up and dismantle. If fired from hand, impose a -4 penalty to hit and a -2 penalty to damage because the character instead of the arrow absorbs the force of the attack. Requires at least 15 STR to operate.

If you want to increase the Crossbow in size again, you're talking about a Huge Heavy Crossbow, which is essentially a Ballista.
Optionally, you could call for a DC 15 Strength Check to reload the ballista in 1 round, otherwise it takes 2 rounds.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 06:24 AM
If anyone knows their ranged weapon statistics, it's Nawyria. :smallwink:

His final statistics on the weapon look pretty good, in my opinion.

Nawyria
2007-08-09, 08:26 AM
If anyone knows their ranged weapon statistics, it's Nawyria. :smallwink:

His final statistics on the weapon look pretty good, in my opinion.

Thanks for the compliment :smallredface:

Darke
2007-08-10, 12:50 AM
Thank you, I am glad that there are people who think outside the generic box, thank you again.

Nawyria
2007-08-10, 01:22 AM
Thank you, I am glad that there are people who think outside the generic box, thank you again.My pleasure, anytime mate :smallwink:

Darke
2007-08-14, 01:37 AM
now for the psychotic halfling who hates orcs and has a ring from his brother...

I was thinking of giving him +s for plot device spotting.

any ideas?