PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade to level 17 then what?

Degwerks
2017-07-22, 07:28 AM
So I have a Hexblade in an underdark campaign where the DM said we'd get to level 20. I'm planning on taking the class to 17 or possibly 18 then multi class into I'm not sure yet. Level 4 now with a 20 charisma and half elf blade pact.

Sorcerer seems to be the highest on my list most likely Favored Soul.
Next on my list is Swashbuckler, paladin or bard.

I have Devils Sight and Improved Pact Weapon invocations now.
Planning on getting Thirsting Blade at 5th, Eldritch Smite at 7, and Lifedrinker at 12. I'm torn between Agonizing Blast at 9 or Kiss of Mephistopheles or Menacing Hex. 15th level hex is still undecided but thinking about Shroud of Shadows.

Khrysaes
2017-07-22, 12:30 PM
For two levels I would suggest

Paladin

Fighter

or Rogue.

You wouldnt get much out of two levels of Sorcerer, unlike the ones above granting you smites(also an invocation in UA), Action Surge+ Fighting style + (con Saves + Heavy Armor, if you take it first level), or expertise and cunning action.

Bard 3 is also a good option, especially if UA is allowed, you can take College of Satire, which gives dash AND disengage as a bonus action, where as rogue's cunning action is one or the other. Also gets expertise, some cantrips and 2nd level spell slots, and jack of all trades, and other bard goodies, which is nice.

Champion or Assassin may be nice if you can take the Smite Invocation, since you can either get automatic crits, or just a higher chance of crits. I dont know if champion works with Eldritch Blast.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-22, 12:45 PM
So I have a Hexblade in an underdark campaign where the DM said we'd get to level 20. I'm planning on taking the class to 17 or possibly 18 then multi class into I'm not sure yet. Level 4 now with a 20 charisma and half elf blade pact.

Sorcerer seems to be the highest on my list most likely Favored Soul.
Next on my list is Swashbuckler, paladin or bard.

I have Devils Sight and Improved Pact Weapon invocations now.
Planning on getting Thirsting Blade at 5th, Eldritch Smite at 7, and Lifedrinker at 12. I'm torn between Agonizing Blast at 9 or Kiss of Mephistopheles or Menacing Hex. 15th level hex is still undecided but thinking about Shroud of Shadows.

Depends on he rest of your stats, don't know what you qualify for.

utopus
2017-07-22, 12:49 PM
There's a general sentiment that stone sorcerer and hexblade pair well together, as you can create a gish that only uses con/cha as their stats, allowing you to dump all other stats.

JeffreyGator
2017-07-22, 02:29 PM
If you are going to MC I would do it earlier rather than level 17.

Any full caster (sorc/bard) gives you 4/2 spells / day which becomes handy to cast shield for example and not burn a slot. (Or even Hex if you don't want to keep that up all day)

Lore bard 3 gives you 4 skills with 2 expertise and ritual casting and so brings more utility.

Sorc 3 lets you do the 2-hour short coffee drow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409694-The-Coffee-Drow-A-Sleepless-Sorclock) rest thing to rebuild your daily spells from warlock.

If you love cantrips you get 2 more with sorc than bard and only 1 less spell with FVS Sorc's cure wounds.

For your Invocations, if you get to level 9 without agonizing blast then you may probably barely use eldritch blast at all and may never need it.

I like Maddening Hex a lot, so much that I would consider dropping agonizing blast for it at level 5 even.

Degwerks
2017-07-22, 04:14 PM
My dex and con are 14 and str is 13. All other stats are 12. Cha is 20 though.

Is it worth going past level 12 in warlock? Someone said to grab my possible 3 MC levels earlier than level 17. What level would you suggest doing that at?

Khrysaes
2017-07-22, 04:27 PM
My dex and con are 14 and str is 13. All other stats are 12. Cha is 20 though.

Is it worth going past level 12 in warlock? Someone said to grab my possible 3 MC levels earlier than level 17. What level would you suggest doing that at?

The last archetype feature is at 14, so maybe, depending on Archetype. For a hexblade that is a good one.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-07-22, 04:57 PM
I agree that i would probably MC earlier, but it depends on you stats.

If you have the INT then i would go Immortal Mystic
- plus INT mod health each turn
- Gain Heavy armor if you want to forget about DEX.
-take Iron Durability discipline to focus for +1 AC, and reaction for +2-6 AC if needed
-take Psionic Weapon for Lethal Strike +1d10 dmg per psi point.

Don't have the INT i would go Totem Barbarian for the resistance to all damage but psych 3/LR
If you go this route i would highly recommend boosting STR and taking Great Weapon Master for the +10 dmg and possible bonus attack. Combine that with the Spell Foresight(8 hours advantage on all attacks, and disadvantage against you) and your now at will curse you will be shrugging of attacks and mowing them down.
I.E. Defense is everyone has disadvantage vs you, if the still hit than 50% miss due to Armor of Hexes, if they still hit again you resist all damage
Offense is Greatsword (2d6+4 STR+5 CHA+6 Prof+ 2 Rage+10 GWM)*2 attacks= avg 68 damage + possible bonus att 34 dmg and Eldritch smite for 6d8 dmg.

Degwerks
2017-07-22, 07:58 PM
Ok I'm 4th level now, I've taken Hexblade Pact of the Blade and have Devils Sight and Improved Pact Weapon innvocations.

My stats are Dex & Con 14, Cha 20, Str 13, Int & Wis 12.

I won't be taking any Barbarian levels or GWM feat. I plan on using my charisma for attack & damage with my pact weapon.

Being able to get Power Word Kill or Foresight is really tempting for staying with hexblade until 17. But I could change my mind by then.

So far it looks like Favored Soul Sorcerer or Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler as my multiclass choices.

Favored Soul for some minor curing spell, maybe inflict wounds and Spiritual Weapon.

AT for extra spells and a few slots for Shield and Hex. And basic rogue stuff.

Swashbuckler for the Fancy Footwork and initiative bonus and combat stuff.

JeffreyGator
2017-07-24, 02:17 AM
So far it looks like Favored Soul Sorcerer or Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler as my multiclass choices.

Favored Soul for some minor curing spell, maybe inflict wounds and Spiritual Weapon.

Since you are a Hex Blade you must use some UA, in the starter spells warlocks can learn healing elixir with provides some minor (out of combat primarily) healing without the multiclass.

Degwerks
2017-07-24, 07:29 AM
Yeah I saw that spell and will take it eventually. The reason I have not yet is that we're in the underdark and haven't gotten any supplies. No alchemist kit to make the stuff.

I want favored soul for the basic sorcerer stuff plus I get Cure Wounds for free. Getting the chance to take Spiritual Weapon is pretty awesome too.