PDA

View Full Version : Player Help FB leap attack pounce questions

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 07:34 AM
hi, all my name is dionisis and im playing orc frenzy berseker on 3.5e

so, i have some critical questions about leap attack and pounce

i have to say that we dont play cc(whitch pounce is) but my dm allowed me to take this lion totem cause i loved it as soon as i read it.

leap attack feat says that you combine charge+jump to ONE devastating attack

so , what happens when you make pounce+jump ?

do you get a full attack? and why?
does pounce stacks with leap attack? and why?
if you take a full attack do you apply leap attack dmg on at all your attacks?

its my first thread i tryed to be straight forward, so sorry if any mistakes. i hope y get the point

also we re play from ph 1-2-3 all complete except cc(but dm gave me only pounce )

emeraldstreak
2017-07-22, 08:55 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?209174-Shock-Trooper-Leap-Attack-Pounce

https://www.google.bg/search?q=leap+attack+and+pounce+3.5&rlz=1C1CAFA_enBG718BG718&oq=leap+attack+and+pounce+3.5&aqs=chrome..69i57.6264j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 01:56 PM
i ve already cheked out this thread but it doestn help me, im asking specific qestions from specific books thank for fast reply btw

Buufreak
2017-07-22, 02:00 PM
Leap attack, if I remember correctly, modifies damage dealt by power attack. Because you can use power attack and pounce simultaneously, and leap attack modifies power attack, you can therefore use leap attack and pounce simultaneously.

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 02:05 PM
i think i didnt explain it to you as i should to.

leap attack:You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into one devastating attack.

Benefit
If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat. This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.

my dm says that its just ONE attack from leap attack(as it is saying),i have already showed him the thread that you send but he keeps telling me the same thing again and again.

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 02:07 PM
Leap attack, if I remember correctly, modifies damage dealt by power attack. Because you can use power attack and pounce simultaneously, and leap attack modifies power attack, you can therefore use leap attack and pounce simultaneously.

yeah but feat says:leap attack:You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into ONE devastating attack.
so how do know that i can do more than 1?

Buufreak
2017-07-22, 02:08 PM
I'm well aware what the text says, I too have google. That said, this is a matter of Waker's Law (who'd have thought that would come up so freaking much today) such that flavor text is absolute bupkis, and serves absolutely nothing beyond being fluffy and attempting to paint an image in the mind of the reader.

As I said, power attack applies to all attacks in a round, therefore leap attack does as well.

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-22, 02:27 PM
i think i didnt explain it to you as i should to.

leap attack:You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into one devastating attack.

Benefit
If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat. This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.

my dm says that its just ONE attack from leap attack(as it is saying),i have already showed him the thread that you send but he keeps telling me the same thing again and again.

Your DM is wrong and here is why..

Specific trumps General:
The "General Rule" for our situation is the default Leap Attack text. Leap Attack isn't the limiting factor for the single attack. Regular "Charge" is limiting Leap Attack to a single attack. Imagine you would exchange charge for pounce and single attack with full attack in the Leap Attack text. problem solved.

compare with Whirlwind Attack: here it is special mentioned that you are reduced to a single attack and even can't profit from any other sources for extra attacks (which indicates it as a pole and thus makes it immune to "Specific trumps General", a weird exception).

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 02:36 PM
thank y very much :)

so,
i can leap attack and do 3 attacks (on lvl 12)
and then on evey single one i add leap attack bonuces if i power attack

awesome im gonna tell my DM ^^

adorableFB
2017-07-22, 02:39 PM
I'm well aware what the text says, I too have google. That said, this is a matter of Waker's Law (who'd have thought that would come up so freaking much today) such that flavor text is absolute bupkis, and serves absolutely nothing beyond being fluffy and attempting to paint an image in the mind of the reader.

As I said, power attack applies to all attacks in a round, therefore leap attack does as well.

you re the best :) i ll tell him and i hope he will let me play like that after this..

Buufreak
2017-07-22, 02:47 PM
you re the best :) i ll tell him and i hope he will let me play like that after this..

http://blogs.itmedia.co.jp/katabami/images/2010/09/20/one_is_glad_to_be_of_services.jpg

Crake
2017-07-22, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I can see where your DM is coming from to be honest. I know the hardcore RAW enthusiasts would say yes to this, but ask yourself: If it applies to the whole function of the power attack feat, does that mean any attacks of opportunity you make after your leap attack also all gain the benefit of leap attack?

Clearly by the way people are reading it, the answer is yes, but if you think about the fluff behind leap attack, does that really make sense? The follow up attacks would make perfect sense for the combat brute's momentum swing ability (which is basically doing the same thing as leap attack, only in the round after a charge), but then, that's the problem with combining abilities that weren't foreseen to be combined, like pounce and charge-based abilities that expect you to only use a single attack.

RAW is clear, but I think the spirit of leap attack would be that only the first attack would get the bonus, because you're using the momentum from your jump to add extra oomph behind it.