PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick magic items for my Paladin

jaappleton
2017-07-22, 08:30 AM
Lv6 Treachery Paladin, with a custom spell list to provide a little more AoE. Likely taking the Defense fighting style, since I'll be going with a 2H weapon and the GWM feat to take advantage of Treachery's lv7 Cull The Herd ability.

1 Rare item
1 Uncommon item

Now, I had a few ideas, with a brief synopsis of the item:

Rares
Belt of Hill Giant Strength - Set Str to 21
Cloak of Displacement - Attacks VS me have Dis Adv, until I take damage, resets every turn
Flametongue Weapon - +2d6 Fire damage per attack (no bonus to attack rolls)
+2 Weapon - Self Explanatory

Uncommons
Cloak of Protection - +1 to AC & Saves
Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Set Str to 19

Cloak of Displacement is an excellent defensive item. All attacks against me have Disadvantage until I take damage, and then the effect begins again on my next turn? Excellent. Combined with the Paladin's excellent saves, that should increase my survivability quite a bit.

But using a Flametongue Greatsword has me dealing 4d6 + Str per hit. My accuracy wouldn't be quite as high as I'd like at only +7 to hit, but I may actually be able to forgo GWM until lv8 and boost my Str, freeing up my Uncommon slot.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

suplee215
2017-07-22, 08:43 AM
What is your current str? One option you have is Orgre Power gloves and either a +2 or flametongue glaive (if your DM count it as a sword). Less damage, but at lvl 8 you can take polearm mastery and not worry too much about the lower str score. A reach weapon also helps you maximize cull the herd as you can target the guy behind the guy in front of you.

Specter
2017-07-22, 08:50 AM
I can't recommend Mantle of Spell Resistance enough. With that and Aura of Protection, you will definitely annoy your DM.

As for the uncommon one, I think Boots of Flying are pretty good for the melee-focused Paladin, but so is a magic weapon, so I can't decide.

nickl_2000
2017-07-22, 08:59 AM
What are your stats right now?

jaappleton
2017-07-22, 09:02 AM
What is your current str? One option you have is Orgre Power gloves and either a +2 or flametongue glaive (if your DM count it as a sword). Less damage, but at lvl 8 you can take polearm mastery and not worry too much about the lower str score. A reach weapon also helps you maximize cull the herd as you can target the guy behind the guy in front of you.

I hadn't considered a Flametongue Glaive, that's a hell of an idea!

Without any sort of enhancement item, my Str would be 16. Though WITH an enhancement item, I could theoretically dump it...

nickl_2000
2017-07-22, 09:06 AM
I hadn't considered a Flametongue Glaive, that's a hell of an idea!

Without any sort of enhancement item, my Str would be 16. Though WITH an enhancement item, I could theoretically dump it...

I feel like you need a magical weapon of some sort to overcome resistances at level 6. I think you are better off using the uncommon for that though. There are so many more useful options at the rate level for items.

What would you boost if you dumped str?

jaappleton
2017-07-22, 09:10 AM
What are your stats right now?

I haven't quite nailed down my race yet. DM lets us ignore racial stat bonuses and put them anywhere. Thinking Eladrin, maybe Half Orc... I know Half Elf gets great stats but its so boring.

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

I can swap the Dex and Wis scores. I know you never want a penalty in either, but...

If I can get Gauntlets and set my Str to 19, I could leave Str at 10 and spread out the stats a bit more. My DM isn't the kind to have my Gauntlets taken away or anything (Unless, of course, I'm captured, but I'd rather die fighting. Or run away)

jaappleton
2017-07-22, 09:20 AM
I feel like you need a magical weapon of some sort to overcome resistances at level 6. I think you are better off using the uncommon for that though. There are so many more useful options at the rate level for items.

What would you boost if you dumped str?

I'd show Dex and Wis s'more love, that's for sure.

EDIT:

The more I think about it, I might be better off going PAM over GWM with a Flametongue Glaive. That combinations seems just disgustingly good.

nickl_2000
2017-07-22, 10:10 AM
I'd show Dex and Wis s'more love, that's for sure.

EDIT:

The more I think about it, I might be better off going PAM over GWM with a Flametongue Glaive. That combinations seems just disgustingly good.

Alright then you have a magic weapon taken care of in the rare slot. You won't have a shield then, so the cloak of protection is pretty powerful. Winged boots will help you move around the battle field and solve all kinds of other issues. Or ogre strength gloves will allow you to somewhat dump strength and still get a +4 to attack.

Personally I would lean towards the boots since flight is super powerful. Plus don't paladins get some huge bonus on saves where the +1 to save wouldn't be as effective? That and I would think at some point you will want a 20 in strength, som dumping strength may not be the best.

jaappleton
2017-07-22, 10:39 AM
Alright then you have a magic weapon taken care of in the rare slot. You won't have a shield then, so the cloak of protection is pretty powerful. Winged boots will help you move around the battle field and solve all kinds of other issues. Or ogre strength gloves will allow you to somewhat dump strength and still get a +4 to attack.

Personally I would lean towards the boots since flight is super powerful. Plus don't paladins get some huge bonus on saves where the +1 to save wouldn't be as effective? That and I would think at some point you will want a 20 in strength, som dumping strength may not be the best.

At 6th level, Paladins get +Cha Mod to all their saves. Allies within 10ft also get that bonus.

If I snag PAM, which damn near every attack should hit due to the reverse pack tactics ability at lv7, that's (2d6+1d10+Str)*2 + 1d4+2d6+Str, or approximately 33-35 per round with no effort. Without the accuracy penalty of GWM. That's.... interesting.

Assuming Gauntlets of Ogre Power as my Uncommon, that's +7 to hit.

Or.... VHuman, get PAM and 18 Str. No cool racial ability, but it frees up my Uncommon for Cloak of Protection.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-22, 04:28 PM
Ring of Spell Storing is a freaking boon to Paladins. You have some pretty wicked spells and this frees up slots for Smite.

Mithril Armor is always on my Uncommon list for Heavy Armor wearers unless a other party members are Armored up as well. That's just me, I feel like an ass if I'm the one constantly blowing Stealth Maneuvers.

furby076
2017-07-23, 12:24 AM
Cloak of displacement
Full plate (no magic)
Shield
magical sword

You rarely get hit, and deal serious damage

djreynolds
2017-07-23, 03:26 AM
I haven't quite nailed down my race yet. DM lets us ignore racial stat bonuses and put them anywhere. Thinking Eladrin, maybe Half Orc... I know Half Elf gets great stats but its so boring.

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

I can swap the Dex and Wis scores. I know you never want a penalty in either, but...

If I can get Gauntlets and set my Str to 19, I could leave Str at 10 and spread out the stats a bit more. My DM isn't the kind to have my Gauntlets taken away or anything (Unless, of course, I'm captured, but I'd rather die fighting. Or run away)

I think a 16 in strength is as good as a 19. Its +3 vs +4. So forget the gauntlets.

Cloak of displacement is basically taking the dodge turn every round, coupled with aura of protection you are tough to kill.

Winged boots are uncommon... too good not to have and annoy your DM with

I personally would leave strength at 16. Max out charisma

I personally would place that con at 15 and grab resilient con. Your choice.

Charisma x2
GWM
PAM is good for improved divine smite
war caster if great for hold person, who cares if they get a save every turn.... someone will get a hit in
magic initiate for GFB/BB

Assenzio
2017-07-24, 03:36 AM
Consider Helm of Telepathy for the uncommon item.
Since detect evil at will is not a thing in 5e, this item will help you a lot with judging people.

Citan
2017-07-24, 04:36 PM
Lv6 Treachery Paladin, with a custom spell list to provide a little more AoE. Likely taking the Defense fighting style, since I'll be going with a 2H weapon and the GWM feat to take advantage of Treachery's lv7 Cull The Herd ability.

1 Rare item
1 Uncommon item

Now, I had a few ideas, with a brief synopsis of the item:

Rares
Belt of Hill Giant Strength - Set Str to 21
Cloak of Displacement - Attacks VS me have Dis Adv, until I take damage, resets every turn
Flametongue Weapon - +2d6 Fire damage per attack (no bonus to attack rolls)
+2 Weapon - Self Explanatory

Uncommons
Cloak of Protection - +1 to AC & Saves
Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Set Str to 19

Cloak of Displacement is an excellent defensive item. All attacks against me have Disadvantage until I take damage, and then the effect begins again on my next turn? Excellent. Combined with the Paladin's excellent saves, that should increase my survivability quite a bit.

But using a Flametongue Greatsword has me dealing 4d6 + Str per hit. My accuracy wouldn't be quite as high as I'd like at only +7 to hit, but I may actually be able to forgo GWM until lv8 and boost my Str, freeing up my Uncommon slot.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Honestly, I'd go the "bland but efficient" way: Belt of Hill Giant (net +3 probably compared to current stats) and Cloack of Protection for an overall increase in efficiency.

But I admit the Cloak is very tempting.
I wouldn't bother with the Gauntlets unless you don't have already 16+ STR.