PDA

View Full Version : Using a staff of Mordenkainen's Disjunction on an artifact

ericgrau
2017-07-22, 10:11 AM
If use use a staff of Mordenkainen's disjunction on an artifact do you still risk losing all spellcasting ability? If you have no spellcasting ability, UMD a staff of Mordenkainen's disjunction on an artifact and fail the will save to lose spellcasting ability, then what happens?

Hackulator
2017-07-22, 10:22 AM
If you don't have spellcasting, you can't lose it. If you do, I'd say you risk losing it even using a staff, although dc 25 will save for a caster who is at the point of destroying artifacts probably isn't that hard?

ericgrau
2017-07-22, 10:29 AM
If you don't have spellcasting, you can't lose it. If you do, I'd say you risk losing it even using a staff, although dc 25 will save for a caster who is at the point of destroying artifacts probably isn't that hard?

Unless he rolls a 1. Actually with a +10 to +12 modifier and wisdom not being a main stat it's easier than you think. A little wis boost +2 or +3, cloak of resistance +5, maybe a weird magic item +1. Maybe +21, but probably more like +18. Sure you can pump it better if you really try, but how many people even bother? Unless it's a side effect of shoring up defenses in general.

I thought of this as part of a character concept I've wanted to play for a while. Epic "commoner". Who is actually a mage who lost his spell-casting ability. Fleshing it out further I decided he'd be a sorcerer (high cha => high UMD) who is heavily dependent on the magic items he made and acquired through adventuring. And that his favorite tactic would be the one that got him into this mess in the first place: staff spamming disjunction on everything without checking what it is. In a party I'd play a little nicer and save it for foes with a caster in a party, magical traps, magical obstacles, etc. And if you think about it enemies with any NPC at all are pretty uncommon, let alone one with a caster, so the treasure loss wouldn't be that great. Perhaps I'd pay the cost or partly pay (esp. if disjunction overcame a hard fight).

I decided after losing his spellcasting ability he would consider mundane classes to be beneath him and nothing all that worth it so he'd take levels in commoner out of laziness. Maybe if I could find a class or prestige that works well with magic items and multiclassing I might try that. At epic level the WBL is so batpoop nutso I don't think it'd be too hard to pull off. Especially if he got a crafting discount pre-loss of abilities and lost a couple levels to heavy crafting.

Gildedragon
2017-07-22, 11:19 AM
Note that a simple spell (Heroics: Martial Study: Moment of Perfect Mind) makes such a Will save a non issue for a Wizard; not even a 1 will snafu their casting

As to casting from a staff... Yeah I guess it'd put one at risk of losing spellcasting. And if one has nothing to lose one loses nothing.

Eldariel
2017-07-22, 12:35 PM
Well, you'd have to roll multiple 1s if you have rerolls and I'd definitely invest in Luckblade and the like by the time I'm destroying artifacts since dying due to nat 1s blows.

ericgrau
2017-07-22, 05:59 PM
Thanks. Are there any multi-class friendly classes that work well with this concept? Something that helps with magic or magical gear without any spellcasting ability. Or I may stick with lazy commoner for the fun of it. If I ever even get to play it. Just screwing around for now mostly.

Would probably do a lot with extra-dimensional spaces magic items in the build too, besides magic items in general.

Gildedragon
2017-07-22, 06:31 PM
Thanks. Are there any multi-class friendly classes that work well with this concept? Something that helps with magic or magical gear without any spellcasting ability. Or I may stick with lazy commoner for the fun of it. If I ever even get to play it. Just screwing around for now mostly.

Would probably do a lot with extra-dimensional spaces magic items in the build too, besides magic items in general.

There's the Artificer, there are the Mordeheim feats from Ravenloft Legacy of Blood, expert gets you more skillpoints, Binder eventually is able to imitate craft feats, there is the master class from War of the Lance...

martixy
2017-07-22, 07:37 PM
Unless he rolls a 1.

That's actually how Fraz-Urb’luu(one of the major demon lords) got imprisoned once - got tricked into disjoining some artifact, lost all his spellcasting, became another wizard's b*tch for a couple centuries.