PDA

View Full Version : Archer Paladin

DMJack
2017-07-22, 10:53 AM
I know not ideal with certain smites. Not near my book atm or sheet. Unearthed Arcana not allowed, but Variant Human, feat was Sharpshooter, it was allowed. I do have a weapon for close combat but I'd like to focus archery on it. Will post stats when I get back home. Current Lvl is 6. Other than branding smite, what are other smite spells that don't require a melee weapon attack?

Specter
2017-07-22, 11:08 AM
With Divine Favor, you can deal +2d4 every round. Should migitate your longing for smites.

I strongly recommend a Fighter dip for Archery - that's what will make Sharpshooter deadly.

Waazraath
2017-07-22, 12:03 PM
I know not ideal with certain smites. Not near my book atm or sheet. Unearthed Arcana not allowed, but Variant Human, feat was Sharpshooter, it was allowed. I do have a weapon for close combat but I'd like to focus archery on it. Will post stats when I get back home. Current Lvl is 6. Other than branding smite, what are other smite spells that don't require a melee weapon attack?

I'd go for:
1 level of fighter
crossbow expert feat
9 levels of paladin in total (for elemental weapon)
10 levels in any full caster class that has spell slots (so no warlock); sorcerer is probably best/easiest (see below)

This way, you won't need smite spells or the like, but use concentration for elemental weapon. With 3 attacks, the extra dice make a difference. At the highest levels, when you can cast elemental for +3 on attacks and 3d4 extra damage. Together with the archery fighting style and sharpshooter, your attacks have +0 on attack, and +17,5 on damage. At lowest levels, divine favor is ok as Specter says. Stuff like shield, absorb elements, draconic resilience (from draconic bloodline) makes you quite tough, while other sorcerer spells can provide loads of utility. A low number of spells known is no problem, cause your main trick is shooting. Twinning your elemental weapon for somebody in your party highly increases the damage output (the more attacks, the better, so works best with a fighter).

Rysto
2017-07-22, 12:26 PM
Some things to note:

- The Devotion Paladin and Vengeance Paladin channel divinity abilities do work with ranged weapons. +CHA to attack rolls or advantage against a single chosen creature both work nicely with Sharpshooter.
- Banishing Smite is the other smite spell that works at range
- Vengeance Paladins get Hunter's Mark, which adds a bit more damage than Divine Favour, but costs a bonus action to move after you kill the target. Against hordes, Divine Favour would be better if you have a use for your bonus action (e.g. Crossbow Expert), but if you won't be using your bonus action regularly or if you're targetting a single nasty creature, Hunter's Mark could be worth it

DMJack
2017-07-22, 02:24 PM
Some things to note:

- The Devotion Paladin and Vengeance Paladin channel divinity abilities do work with ranged weapons. +CHA to attack rolls or advantage against a single chosen creature both work nicely with Sharpshooter.
- Banishing Smite is the other smite spell that works at range
- Vengeance Paladins get Hunter's Mark, which adds a bit more damage than Divine Favour, but costs a bonus action to move after you kill the target. Against hordes, Divine Favour would be better if you have a use for your bonus action (e.g. Crossbow Expert), but if you won't be using your bonus action regularly or if you're targetting a single nasty creature, Hunter's Mark could be worth it

They actually are a Devotion Paladin.
Stats at current level (it was rolled) :
Str 15
Dex 20
Con 18
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 16

For the Pal fighting style went with Defense, though they wear light armor. Considering 2 level fighter dip. Boosted Dex and Con at lvl 4 and Dex and Charisma at 1 due to Vhuman.