PDA

View Full Version : Is my math correct for these scroll prices?

NecroDancer
2017-07-22, 11:32 AM
Assuming I'm a level 1 artificer with the extraordinary artisan feat and I made all my checks would I be able to use my craft reserve (20 XP) to make the following scrolls for 187.5 gold?

5 scrolls of feather Fall
5 scrollls of cure light wounds
5 scrolls of Magic Missile
5 scrolls of Magic Weapon

Each scroll spell level is 1, the caster level is 1.

So 1 x 1 x 25 = 25, so the base price for each is 25 gold.

The XP cost is 0.04 (1/25) of the base price, this means the XP cost is 1 for each scroll so it's 20 XP total for all of them.

For the raw materials it costs 1/2 of the base price but the EA feat lets me reduce the base price by 25% so it would cost 187.5 gold for all the scrolls (25 - 6.25 = 18.75. 18.75/2 = 9.375, 9.375 x 20 = 187.5).

Thank you for the help.

Buufreak
2017-07-22, 11:36 AM
Yup, that's indeed how to math. You even showed your work. You would totally be the guy I let sleep in class because I know you already know the material!

NecroDancer
2017-07-22, 11:38 AM
And I now understand why artificers are tier 1.

ericgrau
2017-07-22, 11:38 AM
Good spell choices too. Except I hope you or a party member is dedicating a hand to carrying a feather fall scroll at all times for it to be useful in an emergency. Hmm, and actually I'd only do 3 magic weapon because that's the most you're going to use against DR/magic or pre-combat buff rounds before it becomes obsolete. And probably only 1-2. Likewise only 2-3 feather fall for now assuming you make more at higher level. Could get more CLW instead.

NoAnonimo
2017-07-22, 11:44 AM
Good spell choices too. Except I hope you or a party member is dedicating a hand to carrying a feather fall scroll at all times for it to be useful in an emergency.

I made a funny found last night: Cos:W have a little item called Griffon badge of Waterdeep. It cost 400gp new (200gp crafted) and allow you to use feather fall 1/day as an Inmediate action. It also doesn't specify any body slot (but I would rule that it have to be on your neck, due to MIC rules).

Being 1st level, you can give it to your party (specially those without UMD or spellcasting options). May save your life more than once.

NecroDancer
2017-07-22, 03:28 PM
So I'm not that experienced with magic items (being an artificer is a fun challenge) but can you recommend any good items to make through levels 1-10 of being an artificer

ericgrau
2017-07-22, 05:09 PM
So I'm not that experienced with magic items (being an artificer is a fun challenge) but can you recommend any good items to make through levels 1-10 of being an artificer

Go to the back of the magic item compendium where you find magic items sorted by price. It also includes DMG items and/or you can find similar items in the DMG. Read all of them. It takes time, but I did this on a magic item heavy character before and it was so much fun. For scrolls likewise read all the level 1 PHB spells and spell compendium spells. Eventually level 2 scrolls too. I had the oddest things for every situation. You basically want 1-2 of every utility item or scroll you think you'll use some day. Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments are my favorite for utility. Read the DMG description not the shorter SRD description for better rules details and examples. It's basically Wile E Coyote paint. Shapesand is popular for a similar reason.

Besides utility you can craft the usual magic items from any magic item guide too. Search the forums for one. Anklets of translocation, belt of battle, etc. In fact if you're playing nice you may want to ask the DM if he wants to ban some of those items before you introduce them.

For scrolls I'll give you a level 1 PHB starter set and hopefully you'll get the idea to figure out other utility scrolls from spell compendium and magic item compendium utility items:
1x alarm
(party members)x endure elements
1x hold portal
2x protection from evil. Buff or anti-mind control.
1-2x shield. Buff
1x mount. Use as a big heavy mobile living lump for traps & puzzles.
3x obscuring mist. Let's run away button.
2x summon monster I, CL 3rd + 2x speak with animals (or be a gnome and summon a badger)
3x unseen servant
1x comprehend languages
3x identify (100 gp material component)
2x CL 3rd floating disk. AKA Tenser's Stretcher. Could carry loot too.
1x disguise self
1x silent image. If foe doesn't examine or interact with it he doesn't get the DC 11 save. Try an illusion off to the side rather than in a foe's face.
2x enlarge person if you have a buffable ally
2x magic weapon. For DR.
(party members)x pass without trace, but only if your DM ever remembers to track
3x shillelagh if you have a party monk
1x expeditious retreat
1x jump

At level 1 though you can't afford all that. Instead you want lots of CLW. Also bless > shield > enlarge person for buffing rounds. Unseen servant, 2-3 if you can manage it. Maybe 1 CL 3rd floating disk if you can afford it. Soon you'll want magic weapon too for DR. Magic missile isn't bad for a reliable finishing blow. Mage armor and shillelagh are good at level 1 if you have a monk (both) or druid (mage armor if animal form, shillelagh if humanoid form). At higher levels he may want a full caster to mage armor him.

Don't forget to check spell compendium for the cool level 1 spells I can't remember. I know nerveskitter is a major one off the top of my head. Spam it; maybe not at level 1, but very soon. CL 3-4+ shock and awe you want fewer of, maybe 1-2, but it's way better than nerveskitter when it applies. It's the "ambusher auto wins because we acted twice before you acted at all" button. Make sure somebody keeps one or both drawn and ready for the immediate/swift.

NoAnonimo
2017-07-22, 11:43 PM

First, it depends on what role are you trying to have and on your party composition. You may like:

The Griffon badge of Waterdeep mentioned before - Gives feather fall 1/day, no slot required in RAW - Neck?) - Cost 200 gp to Craft (and feather falls).
Also, Drow House Insignia stores a 1st to 3rd level spell to use 1/day. Doesn't require to be a spellcaster or even a drow (by RAW). Neck Slot. 180gp and apropiate spell to create (1st level). For everyday spells, really nice option. Better than pearl of power?
Healing Belt is a must. Will save your life so many times. Up to 6d8 HP heal/Day to you or touched live creature. Also, +2 to heal ability. 500 gp + cure moderate wounds required in crafting. I would make this 1st priority, period.
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker. Move half your speed as swift action. Pure Utility at 1st level. Nice, tho. Crafing requires 250gp and expeditios retreat.

You should be fine with just that at 1st level. Care to bring adittional info about what are you searching for?

NecroDancer
2017-07-23, 01:01 PM
These are some great options, thanks. The party is a solid mix of spellcasting, healing/raising, tanking so I mainly play a buffer/tinkerer. My stats are 10, 13, 14, 14, 8, 12 so I'm considering making an object to boast my charisma for that oh so important UMD check.

So far we haven't need anything beyond a few scrolls and once I reach level 2 I'll check about making potions (perhaps of spider climb). I'll definitely make that healing belt as soon as I can. There is also a chance that I'll turn into a blaster/wandslinger around Level 7. I'm hoping to stay pure artificer for all 20 levels (assuming we ever get that high).

Edit: some basic background on my character if that helps, he is that he is more or less a Half-Orc who is a mix of Macgyver, Einstein, and Tesla. He also once was a professional backup dancer but had to quit due to a knee injury.