PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Item Conflicts.

kkortekaas
2007-08-08, 07:05 AM
Howdy Folks,
Well, I've gone back to my original idea for my Friday game and am planning on running War of the Wielded for my group. Problem is, I'm unsure as to how to resolve PC / Item conflicts.

Now, I don't mean mechanically, as I've read the DMG and understand when / if to allow the rolls, my concern is say, having the party fighter taken over by a NE Greatsword that wants to only kill a certain type of foe or perform a certain act.

Do I slip the PC a slip of paper detailing that he's now under control? do I strongly suggest he do something? How have other people resolved similar situations?

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-08, 07:19 AM
Before he looses an Ego conflict just tell him that the sword wants to do things. (In whatever way the weapon can communicate.)

If he looses an Ego conflict then what I do is tell him to follow certain goals and then, when they arrise such as an elven diplomat being percived by an elf hating weapon, take over the character. Say things like "you charge him." Still let him make the rolls but this way it is clear that he is no longer in control.

A word of warning. If they don't know that the item is inteligent then this can cuase them to have issues with what they will see as "railroad DMing". On the other hand failing an Ego roll will porbably result in the PC realising the sword is controling him so you may as well tell him there and then.

kkortekaas
2007-08-08, 07:30 AM
First I'd like to apologize for being intentionally vague as I know one of my players follows the boards

I've got a couple of concerns about this adventure. I think it's a fantastic opportunity to bring two of my "non-RP" players out of their shell, But I am worried how they'll deal with being taken over.

Would this work?

i.e. Using the same example as before, with a NE Greatsword that despises a certain group, could I just describe the swords motivations and let the player change his characters actions accordingly?

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-08, 07:45 AM
Whilst they are in control? Sure.

Whilst it is in control? That is harder. In effect they are now no longer playing themsleves are they?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-08, 08:32 AM
If he looses an Ego conflict then what I do is tell him to follow certain goals and then, when they arrise such as an elven diplomat being percived by an elf hating weapon, take over the character. Say things like "you charge him." Still let him make the rolls but this way it is clear that he is no longer in control.
I would get bored pretty quickly with becoming not much more than a dice-rolling machine.

As long as I felt my player was up to the challenge, I'd let him play out the item as well.

kkortekaas
2007-08-08, 08:49 AM
So using this item:

Aügrin the Ashen Maul: maul of the titans; AL CE; Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14; Speech (Common); 120 ft. vision and hearing; Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +9; Ego score 10.

Lesser Powers: bull’s strength 1/day, 10 ranks in intimidate (total modifier 12).
Appearance: This massive, solid-steel mallet is eight feet long and weighs 160 pounds.

Personality: Aügrin’s demeanor is perpetually menacing and coarse. The Oquon pattered the Ashen Maul after an Oquon Master Chief that spent four years under the charms of the Cabanite Valora before he finally had his head cleared by his comrades. During that time, to his dishonor, he spilled many military secrets. As such, while the Ashen Maul despises all Cabanites, he bears an exceptional grudge against the rapier that now bears Valora’s name.
Strong evocation; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s clenched fist; Price 39,305 gp.

on a NG Goliath Fighter, and having the Goliath Fight loose his save vs the item's EGO score, I'd ask the Fighter to change his style of play to CE and make him seek out other Cabanites especially the special rapier that irked him back in the day.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-08, 09:05 AM
on a NG Goliath Fighter, and having the Goliath Fight loose his save vs the item's EGO score, I'd ask the Fighter to change his style of play to CE and make him seek out other Cabanites especially the special rapier that irked him back in the day.
Yeah. As long as he's not the type to induldge in any sort of Player vs. DM or Player vs. Player shennanigans or otherwise act on out-of-character knowledge, that should be all you need to worry about.

kkortekaas
2007-08-08, 09:44 AM
Fair enough,
If anyone can provide further insight into this matter, or provide tips / tricks for running items with Ego, I'd really like to hear about it.

Quietus
2007-08-08, 10:33 AM
Fair enough,
If anyone can provide further insight into this matter, or provide tips / tricks for running items with Ego, I'd really like to hear about it.

Really, the best advice is to know your group. If they're mature enough to handle it, I highly recommend using notes to communicate with them when their intelligent items are urging them to do something. If they follow the desires of their weapons, don't worry about Ego, but if they choose to ignore their weapon's desires, have them roll their save. In the above suggested weapon's case, I'd probably jot down something to the effect of :

You feel great anger coming from your weapon, directed at the group approaching. It subtly urges you to attack to kill; If you don't want to do that, roll a will save.

If they fail the will save, then let them remain in control of their character, but their CHARACTER is under the control of the weapon. If you haven't told them what their weapon's goals are, you may need to take that player aside for a moment and explain.