PDA

View Full Version : A few Spelldancer and Arcane Hierophant questions

Munchkin
2017-07-22, 06:00 PM
Good evening,

Introduction:
First of all, since I didn't find a dedicated introduction thread:
Hello all, I'm Munchkin (I couldn't believe the name was free). I'm new here. Please don't bite.

Now that that's done... I wonder if I could get a little bit of help with a build (3.5).

Motivation:
It is basically a hidden antagonist that's a pc and a member of the main party. Possibly, it's not set in stone but the campaign is supposed to be large so the split is likely to happen sometime soon. Rp aspects aside, it has to be worthy of the role, so... pretty strong, awe inspiring and so on. Also, a dual caster is a must.

I've been thinking of building something with full dual caster levels - no sacrifices. Starting from Bard 3 and Druid 3 into Arcane Hierophant 10, picking up Spelldancer 2 along the way.

My choices are pretty clear apart from a few issues:
1. From what I understand, Druid 3/AH 10 nets a wild shape of an equivalent lvl 13 Druid (so small, medium, large, plant). I have a pretty hard time picking a form tbh. Nothing significantly better than the pretty generic Dire Bear (in terms of stats anyway).
- Is there an animal or a plant or another 13hd sweet spot?
- How about in epic levels, maybe some obscure magical beast?
2. Can spelldancing be done in wildshape? It requires no verbal component so I'd imagine a dancing bear casting persistent bard spells works just fine?
3. What is the general ruling on Totem Druid and Arcane Hierophant?
- Does Totem Shape benefit from AH? As in, would TD 3/AH 10 have access to a) Dire Totem shapes b) Celestial/Fiendish Templates on normal Totem Shape?
- Does the Totem Animal Companion benefit from AH? As in, can it be made into Companion Familiar?

And the final question:
4. Can you split +spellcasting class levels of a Spelldancer in such a way that 1st level of the class boosts Druid spellcasting and 2nd levels boosts Bard spellcasting? Spelldancer has peculiar wording on that spells per day ability.

Many thanks.

Cosi
2017-07-22, 06:21 PM
My personal favorite use of Wild Shape -- which is admittedly stupidly cheesy -- is to somehow get Multitasking (Savage Species, page 37), turn into an Octopus, and cash in your eight arms for three additional actions. Octopus or Squid is actually a decent form anyway, because they give you eight or ten attacks onto which you can stack any kind of per attack debuff. You would need some way of breathing air though.

flappeercraft
2017-07-22, 06:48 PM
My personal favorite use of Wild Shape -- which is admittedly stupidly cheesy -- is to somehow get Multitasking (Savage Species, page 37), turn into an Octopus, and cash in your eight arms for three additional actions. Octopus or Squid is actually a decent form anyway, because they give you eight or ten attacks onto which you can stack any kind of per attack debuff. You would need some way of breathing air though.

Thrikreen could work for the arms prerequisite, octopus form would only get you more than you normally have

Bonus points if you turn into a Hecatoncheires which has 100 arms

Edit: I have no idea how you could do that but its probably possible to do with wild shape. It can be done with reserves of Strength and Shapechange though

Munchkin
2017-07-24, 05:09 AM
My personal favorite use of Wild Shape -- which is admittedly stupidly cheesy -- is to somehow get Multitasking (Savage Species, page 37), turn into an Octopus, and cash in your eight arms for three additional actions.
Sounds good. Was the feat updated for 3.5? What kind of bonus action does one get?

Thrikreen could work for the arms prerequisite, octopus form would only get you more than you normally have

Bonus points if you turn into a Hecatoncheires which has 100 arms

Right. I think rocks would fall if I somehow managed to do that.

Thrikreen might work. It even boosts wisdom.

Hackulator
2017-07-24, 06:20 AM
First of all, since I didn't find a dedicated introduction thread:
Hello all, I'm Munchkin (I couldn't believe the name was free). I'm new here. Please don't bite.

Then why name yourself after something so tasty?

http://atchadoor.com/image/cache/data/munch-550x650.PNG

Munchkin
2017-07-29, 06:07 AM
Then why name yourself after something so tasty?

They look tiny. For swallowing whole more than biting.

As for the multitasking, I was unable to convince my dm. To quote him "€&#€!€# no". It was a bit too 3.2ish of a feat.