PDA

View Full Version : What race would Nightcrawler be?

martixy
2017-07-22, 06:58 PM
More specifically I mean this guy:
http://natehallinanart.deviantart.com/art/Nightcrawler-The-Order-of-X-391185268

Tiefling is one option. Other ideas?

Also wouldn't mind unorthodox class suggestions.
(Meaning other than Rogue into Telflammar Shadowlord).

OldTrees1
2017-07-22, 07:43 PM
Well, nightcrawler is a Human, BUT what would they be mechanically represented as?

Nightcrawler has one of the stereotypical Tiefling appearances. Their teleportation ability uses the Brimstone Dimension. Nightcrawler's father Azazel was one of several mutants that probably helped shape what the word "demon" meant to humans in the Marvel world.

But there are some differences between how D&D considers Tieflings and how Marvel considers the Neyaphem.

So I would say Tiefling but with "Baleful Transposition 3/day" rather than "Darkness 1/day and Resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5". Perhaps even homebrew a personalized 2nd level transposition spell.

Dancingdeath
2017-07-22, 08:10 PM
I could easily see him being a fey too. Of the unseelie persuasion.

Thurbane
2017-07-22, 08:54 PM
He could pass for a Duskling (MoI p.10). Duskling Swashbuckler into Jaunter prestige class?

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/moi_gallery/91038.jpg

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-22, 10:13 PM
Catfolk with a more panther-like appearance could be another option.

As class a warlock (6) with "Flee the Scene" (Dimension Door + free afterimage) would be my suggestion as starting point. Due to the SLA nature of warlock invocations you can spam the ability as much as you want.

Hackulator
2017-07-22, 10:24 PM
Cambion? I feel like he's further from human than an average tiefling, though I could be wrong.

Goaty14
2017-07-22, 10:34 PM
Half-Catfolk? I know its not a template, but he still has a humanoid face.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-22, 10:36 PM
He could pass for a Duskling (MoI p.10). Duskling Swashbuckler into Jaunter prestige class
Duskling isn't a bad idea, especially since it gives you some essentia and Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) is by far the easiest way to get at-will teleportation.

Darrin
2017-07-22, 10:41 PM
I would say Diabolus (Dragon Compendium) due to the tail, but Nightcrawler doesn't have a poisonous stinger. Then again, the Diabolus stinger is so meh, I'm not sure anyone actually uses it.

Anxe
2017-07-22, 10:54 PM
I know this is the 3.5 area, but Eladrin from 4E fits perfectly with the Fey Step teleportation ability.

Tiri
2017-07-22, 11:01 PM
I would say Diabolus (Dragon Compendium) due to the tail, but Nightcrawler doesn't have a poisonous stinger. Then again, the Diabolus stinger is so meh, I'm not sure anyone actually uses it.

If you want a tail, there is a Egoist ACF that gives you the Changeling Minor Change Shape ability. Then you can just grow a tail and keep it there all the time.

Waker
2017-07-22, 11:22 PM
He could pass for a Duskling (MoI p.10). Duskling Swashbuckler into Jaunter prestige class?

Duskling isn't a bad idea, especially since it gives you some essentia and Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) is by far the easiest way to get at-will teleportation.
Both solid choices. A totemist dip would get you both Blink Shirt and Phase Cloak, for all your teleporting extra-dimensional needs. Plus it has Knowledge (The Planes) on its skill list and can provide you choices for having a tail.

martixy
2017-07-23, 07:42 AM

Brilliant ideas.

Thanks.

I'm thinking totemist 2/jaunter 4/swash 3/rogue x with the dimensional agility feat chain from PF.
Besides, he's an NPC so I have freedom to add minor details like a tail.

The artist actually DnD-ified most of the classic lineup(into "The order of X" which I'm stealing shamelessly). They're all pretty neat.
I'm building the whole set, based on those pictures rather than the original characters - for example Storm is a mailman sorc/stormcaster.

Btw, I already made cyclops into an unseelie fey, so I don't wanna repeat myself for nightcrawler.

Only thing I'm not sure about is what to make of Colossus.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-23, 08:13 AM
Green Star Adept?

CIDE
2017-07-23, 08:37 AM
Green Star Adept?

I think my sig says it best. That said he's definitely more of a warhulk type with his strength score. Thematically something more like a mineral warrior.

Tiri
2017-07-23, 09:27 AM

Warforged with the Minor Change Shape Egoist ACF. He uses it to seem human.

Really, I find that that ACF can help with a lot of weird character concepts.

martixy
2017-07-23, 11:54 AM
Green Star Adept is nice apart for the spellcasting. And the stupid book, instead of giving a non-spellcasting adaptation gives something pointless as changing the material... cuz nobody reading it would have EVER thought of that.

I think I'll go with Mineral warrior Goliath Fighter of some description.

FWIW, here's the general builds I was planning on giving the bunch:

1. Lord Charles Xavier
- Human Noble 3/Psion 11

2. Lady Jean Grey
- Half-Elf Ranger 12

3. Bloom of Summer (Cyclops)
- Unseelie fey Elf Swordsage 2/Archivist 9

4. Wolve Rüne
- Dwarf uBarbarian 4/Warblade 3/Bloodclaw Master 5

5. Kyrt V'wagnyr (Nightcrawler)
- Duskling[MoI/10] Totemist 2/Jaunter 4/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 3

6. Henrick (Beast)
- Awakened bear druid or cleric 9

7. ??? (Colossus)
- Mineral Warrior Goliath PFighter 8

8. ??? (Psylocke)
- Human DSP Soulknife 8

9. Ororo (Storm)
- Illumian Elemental bloodline PF sorc 5/Stormcaster 8 mailman
Xavier is the ruler of a small nation and that's his retinue.

Falcon X
2017-07-23, 12:33 PM
Half Blink Dog. He is in the 3rd party book "Bastards and Bloodlines"

denthor
2017-07-23, 12:36 PM
Skulk with d door rather then the blending ability.

Gildedragon
2017-07-23, 02:36 PM
I'd go for Diabolus Swordsage

As for colossus: Adamantine Plating Warforged Monk or DR oriented Barbarian

ShurikVch
2017-07-23, 04:28 PM
How about the Kelvezu (from Monster Manual II)?

https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/4/4e/Kelvezu.png

Greater Teleport at-will...

Thurbane
2017-07-23, 05:24 PM
Maybe give Colossus some kind of at-will Iron Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm) SLA?

Not sure of a RAW way to do this...

martixy
2017-07-23, 05:28 PM
How about the Kelvezu (from Monster Manual II)?

https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/4/4e/Kelvezu.png

Greater Teleport at-will...

Neat idea, but a little bit too high level for the power level I'm aiming for. Though not by much. Frankly I see nothing that justifies the listed CR. A couple of high numbers certainly aren't enough. I'd peg him as no more than 14-15.

Maybe give Colossus some kind of at-will Iron Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm) SLA?

Not sure of a RAW way to do this...
Good point...

Another option is Adamantine skin construct graft.

PrismCat21
2017-07-24, 06:20 AM
For Colossus I've always used a reduced version of the Wu Jen spell, Metal Skin, that scales up as he levels.

Wu Jen is also a great place to look for Magneto's powers :)

Pyromancer999
2017-07-24, 06:20 AM
Goliath into Stonespeaker Guardian would probably work with refluffing, for Colossus. Can use Wildshape Ranger to enter and reflect the more martial bent of him.

Hackulator
2017-07-24, 06:24 AM
I feel like Colossus clearly has a more powerful version of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm) spell at will.

Nightcrawler is likely a swashbuckler of fairly high level with a supernaturally high dexterity, prehensile tail (possibly with supreme multiweapon fighting), and the ability to case dimension door at will, as well as teleport a limited number of times per day (he seems to sometimes be able to port much further than normal, but it tires him out).