PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Subrace question

Inaba
2017-07-23, 03:26 AM
If I were to like the air gnome subrace from pg.16 of the unearthed arcana but wanted to use it as a add on to the whisper gnome from the races of stone pg. 94 rather than applying it to the typical rock gnome from the players handbook pg. 16 since it's just air plane mystical energy melding with either a specific birth or a lone tribe (at least that's how I understand it)
Would this be acceptable according to RAW or did I miss something?
Would you accept it as a dungeon master if it's not?
Thank you in advance for any and all help full advice and time you are willing to give this matter.

Esprit15
2017-07-23, 04:06 AM
Given that the sub races are already sort of adaptions to a specific environment, I would say no, as a DM. They aren't templates.

Inaba
2017-07-23, 04:27 AM
I respect your opinion and I see where you're coming from, but if I am allowed to play devil's advocate for a moment. Is "rock" not itself a subrace of gnome? Just because it's the most common doesn't necessarily mean it's the progenitor race of the species. So it could be seen as no less or more viable of a subject for the aforementioned planar energies to interact with.
Hypothetically It could be that a particular race propogated and flourished and then had begun to dwindle and diminish for some unknown reason while one of it's "subrace" expanded and became more common than the original.
Not saying it happened in this instance, but similar paths of evolution could have taken place with other races.