PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the compilations

greenstave
2007-08-08, 08:24 AM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've only been reading oots for about a year, but I'm obviously loving it! I just received my copies of Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness (APE Games gave me a fantastic purchase experience!) and have started to read them.

I sincerely hope I won't get flamed for this, because I am a huge fan like all of you, but do you advise I purchase the two additional, compilation books? I have a hard time reconciling my need for completing the set with the fact that most of what is in those books, I have already read. Is there enough new material to make a new experience of reading those books again?

Please try to be objective, I mean no disrespect to the author, and I am certainly not saying the man doesn't deserve to be paid for his work...he does, and I have.

Thanks to all who reply.

factotum
2007-08-08, 08:31 AM
Well, if your only criterion is "is there anything new?" then there probably isn't much point--over both Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues you get maybe 20 or 30 extra strips. Personally I got them to support Rich, and because it's nice having a high-quality glossy print of the strips, but maybe that's just me.

SteveMB
2007-08-08, 08:33 AM
Well, if your only criterion is "is there anything new?" then there probably isn't much point--over both Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues you get maybe 20 or 30 extra strips. Personally I got them to support Rich, and because it's nice having a high-quality glossy print of the strips, but maybe that's just me.

Actually, I think the various commentaries are a more interesting addition than the bonus strips.

chibibar
2007-08-08, 08:39 AM
The added comments and commentary are a blast!!! Buying the books help Rich and able to produce more OoTS. It is a worthwhile investment if you like to re-read to comic (I do it all the time)

I also purchase the game. It is actually pretty fun.

greenstave
2007-08-08, 08:39 AM
That sounds like enough to me. When you are on a limited budget, as I am, you have to pick and choose. Supporting the author was a factor in purchasing the two books I did, as was getting more oots to read for myself.

I think I will probably pick them up when I am finished with the two I have.

Thank you guys.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-08, 09:02 AM
The added comments and commentary are a blast!!! Buying the books help Rich and able to produce more OoTS. It is a worthwhile investment if you like to re-read to comic (I do it all the time)

I also purchase the game. It is actually pretty fun.

The game is the one I've been considering the most, but I've never played it, and don't know anyone who has. What is the best group size? Does it compare to any other game?

And has anyone played Munchkin? It seems like every gamestore sells that one as well, and Jon Kovlac is VERY funny (I have Kobolds Ate My Baby), but I don't have an unlimited budget, so I like to pick and choose...

Chrismith
2007-08-08, 09:41 AM
The game is the one I've been considering the most, but I've never played it, and don't know anyone who has. What is the best group size? Does it compare to any other game?

And has anyone played Munchkin? It seems like every gamestore sells that one as well, and Jon Kovlac is VERY funny (I have Kobolds Ate My Baby), but I don't have an unlimited budget, so I like to pick and choose...

Both games are very good (and humorous). I think you can play either game with just two players, but either will be more fun with at least 3-4 people. One of the biggest differences is the scope of the game -- Munchkin is (usually) a fairly quick game; anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes is typical in my experience. OOTS, on the other hand, will take at least a couple of hours for even the shortest games.

The other main difference lies in the games' appeal. OOTS is, well, OOTS, and anyone who reads the comic will enjoy it immensely (and might be convinced to split the cost with you?). People who don't read the comic, however, may find it boring or confusing. Munchkin, on the other hand, is just a generic role-playing satire and should appeal to a much wider audience.

Honestly, though, both are great games, and you won't regret purchasing either of them.

For some more info on the OOTS game, check this page (http://www.apegames.com/oots/oots-dod/oots-dod.html). It has previews of a few cards, as well as a copy of the rules so that you can see exactly what the game entails.

SteveMB
2007-08-08, 09:45 AM
Both games are very good (and humorous). I think you can play either game with just two players, but either will be more fun with at least 3-4 people. One of the biggest differences is the scope of the game -- Munchkin is (usually) a fairly quick game; anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes is typical in my experience. OOTS, on the other hand, will take at least a couple of hours for even the shortest games.

The other main difference lies in the games' appeal. OOTS is, well, OOTS, and anyone who reads the comic will enjoy it immensely (and might be convinced to split the cost with you?). People who don't read the comic, however, may find it boring or confusing. Munchkin, on the other hand, is just a generic role-playing satire and should appeal to a much wider audience.

Honestly, though, both are great games, and you won't regret purchasing either of them.

For some more info on the OOTS game, check this page (http://www.apegames.com/oots/oots-dod/oots-dod.html). It has previews of a few cards, as well as a copy of the rules so that you can see exactly what the game entails.

Agreed (except that, frankly, both games are fairly lame with only 2 players -- the interactions between players are critical in making things interesting).

kea
2007-08-08, 10:17 AM
does anyone knows if the books are sold in Europe? APE games charges 40$ to send the 4 books overseas!

Krytha
2007-08-08, 10:32 AM
Agreed (except that, frankly, both games are fairly lame with only 2 players -- the interactions between players are critical in making things interesting).

Well, I find that's pretty standard for most games nowadays. With the exception of scrabble or minesweeper, you need a great group of people to have board game fun.

WampaX
2007-08-08, 10:39 AM
does anyone knows if the books are sold in Europe? APE games charges 40$ to send the 4 books overseas!

Check the Products section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28), I think there are threads discussion this issue there

ingtar33
2007-08-08, 12:01 PM
i bought all the books to support the author.

i enjoy oots.

i laugh when reading it, it's the only comic strip i've enjoyed since gary larson hung it up.

i never even read the physical compilation books, i bought like 4 or 5 of each to give away as xmas presents, i kept one of each for myself, but never even opened them up.

It was worth it to me, to support the author, financially, in thanks for all the hours of enjoyment and laughs he's given me.

so while i can't advise you if it's worth it or not (though they do look like high quality books) form a purely "comic/plot" standpoint. I personally thought it was worth it for other reasons.

PaladinFreak
2007-08-08, 12:56 PM
I'm a cheapskate. I'm getting OtOotPC's and SoD in September, and that's mainly because I get store credit from my remaining subscription to dungeon magazine.

lokycat
2007-08-08, 01:40 PM
i never even read the physical compilation books, i bought like 4 or 5 of each to give away as xmas presents, i kept one of each for myself, but never even opened them up.
Are you MAD?:smalltongue:
Open them...reed them.
The SoD and The Origin books are great but the others have extra strips that are not on line.
Is definably a recommended reed.:smallsmile:

greenstave
2007-08-08, 01:49 PM
Well, I think I am convinced that buying the compilation books is worth it. Not only am I supporting the author, but I'm getting some new material, and a comic that has great re-readability (as I have already re-read online strips).

I'm also pretty happy my first post didn't end in my being ostricized by the community!

Oh, and Lokycat, I love the spoiler in your sig!!

Jasdoif
2007-08-08, 01:55 PM
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools has a bonus strip appropriately titled "Schrodinger's Ninja." Is any more incentive really required?

If so, it also has a nice set of "intro strips" to introduce the comic. And all those other bonus strips. And the commentaries.

Fighteer
2007-08-08, 02:09 PM
You get more juicy OotS goodness. What's not to like? :smallbiggrin:

elliott20
2007-08-08, 02:35 PM
I get it because I wanted to support rich's work. it's a quality product that allows me to enjoy OOTS while AWAY from the computer. (i.e. on the john)

now, you don't HAVE to get it if you're not interested in the 20 or so extra strips and all the creator commentaries. Personally, I love that stuff.

Taghor
2007-08-08, 02:38 PM
It's 100% worth it.

I have bought all 4 books in the last months and was thinking the same as the thread-starter in the begining. "Is it really worth to buy something i can have on the net for free?"
I first odrdered On the Origin of PCs and thoguht: crap i will order Dungeon crawlong fools with it and let's see.

As they arrived and i was reading a bit in them i instantly wanted to order no cure for the paladin blues and Start of Darkness.

Only one Word: BUY!!! :)

Taghor

chorpler
2007-08-08, 02:51 PM
At first I was like you, greenstave, and I just ordered On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness. But then I found out there was bonus material in the other two books, so I ended up ordering them too, and MAN, was it worth it! The commentary at the beginning of each chapter is fascinating, and the bonus strips alone are worth the book prices (even though it was a difficult expenditure for me, I still say it was worth it).

There's actually a lot of interesting stuff that happens in the bonus strips. Heck, in one bonus strip in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, Belkar actually acts like a nice guy with no ulterior motive! And at the beginning of No Cure for the Paladin Blues, Elan does a "finger puppet" recap of the events of DCF that has me rolling with laughter every time I read it. "I'm your twin brother!" "Cool!" "I'm evil!" "Lame!" It's just hilarious.

Also, there are some differences between the online strips and what's in the book. Not much, but there are some changes. So it's worth it to see the various versions he's gone through on some of the strips.

And finally, when you read the books, it's clear from the structure and commentary that he has structured the OOTS storylines in a way that is meant to be read in book form, more than in online archives form. And while I think the strip is great online, I do think it works slightly better in book form. And the printed version is surprisingly easier to read than the onscreen version -- higher resolution, higher contrast, etc. Plus you can take it wherever you go, even in the shower if you're so inclined.

Well worth the money! Once I had them, I was kicking myself for not ordering them all at once.

greenstave
2007-08-08, 02:57 PM
That's great! I just finished Origin a couple hours ago (ssshhh I'm at work!) and it was wonderful. I think I will put in my order for the other two as well.

Did everyone else have as great an experience with APE games as I did? I think they are a great conduit for the purchase. I ordered each book separately, and they actually emailed me, asked me if I wanted them to be shipped together, and then refunded me the difference in shipping because it was a single order. I don't ever recall other online vendors offering to refund me squat!!

The author (I know you all call him Rich, but I'm just not sure we're on a first name basis, what with my only being a pixie and all!) teamed up with a great service. If he, or anyone at APE is reading this, good on all of ya!

Dalenthas
2007-08-08, 03:01 PM
They are awesome!

NOTE: I do not recommend reading them in the shower. I repeat: DO NOT READ OOTS IN THE SHOWER!

lokycat
2007-08-08, 03:10 PM
yea...they are really customer friendly...I pre-ordered the Origins and Dungeon Crawling fools together, then after the Paladin Blues came out I ordered that one at the same time I pre-ordered the SoD.

They contacted me and keep me informed about the delays of SoD but they still shipped me Paladin Blues.

I will never even regret the purchase because there is strips in #1 and #2 that are not found on line plus re-reading the other strips make me enjoy the new strips with the OOTS inside jokes that I mite have not gotten if I didn't re-read some of the strips.

The board game is fun to but you have to play it with people that reed the comic. A lot of the humor in the board game is inside jokes.:smalltongue:

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-08, 05:09 PM
They are awesome!

NOTE: I do not recommend reading them in the shower. I repeat: DO NOT READ OOTS IN THE SHOWER!

A timeless lesson learned only through first-hand experience I take it?

...Never mind. I don't know if I want to know.

Axl_Rose
2007-08-08, 05:42 PM
I'd say the compilations make a great gift to anyone who hasnt read the Oots strip before

majestic
2007-08-08, 07:09 PM
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools has a bonus strip appropriately titled "Schrodinger's Ninja."
I basically just registered to say that the aforementioned strip is, in my opinion, THE funniest strip ever. Still has me in stiches, when I think about it.

:haley: Yeah, Belkar accidentally left a vial of poison gas wired to a Geiger counter inside the box.
:belkar: My bad.
Priceless.

Ariko
2007-08-09, 11:20 PM
Interestingly, they were demonstrating the OoTS adventure game at a cultural festival of some sort recently. Unfortunately I was only aware after the fact, from the newspaper, and it wasnt too near me anyway.