PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Class feature progression, Sacred Outlaw

EdRed
2017-07-24, 06:10 AM
I'm not aware of any specific rule about this topic, so i'd like to get some input.

My general question is whether progression of a class feature (via PRC, feat, etc) also applies to substitutions which you've gaine from a variant class or an ACF?

In particular, taking a cleric (srd variant) as example:

Cleric

Some clerics prefer to be champions of good (or evil), standing at the forefront of the battle against the enemy.
Gain

Smite evil, if the cleric would normally channel positive energy, or smite good, if the cleric would normally channel negative energy (as paladin); aura of courage (as paladin).
Lose

Turn undead.

Having switched Turn Undead for Smite Evil - does Sacred Outlaw (or a PRC progressing TU) allow you to progress Smite Evil instead?

ranagrande
2017-07-24, 11:13 AM
No. In fact, you cannot take Sacred Outlaw with that ACF, because the ability to turn or rebuke undead is a prerequisite.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-24, 02:53 PM
By RAW? No. But it's not an unreasonable houserule to have them continue to work.

EdRed
2017-07-24, 06:32 PM
Ah well, I'm not sure how I managed to miss the Turn Undead req. for Sacred Outlaw..

Anyway, thanks for your answers - I'll try asking my dm for a house ruling in this case.