PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good skirmish/sneak attack like ability for a barbarian?

tedcahill2
2017-07-24, 10:08 AM
I'm doing a home brew version of the barbarian for a game and I wanted to add an ability that increases their damage output like skirmish does.

I was thinking it could scale exactly like skirmish, except instead of an AC bonus it's an AC penalty, and instead of having to move to trigger the bonuses they are applied to anyone that has damaged you. So it's like when someone hurts you your rage takes over and, if you attack them, cause you don't have to, but if you do your attacks are notably stronger but reckless, thus the added damage but the negative AC.

I was thinking of calling it Reckless Fury, or Furious Retaliation?

Thoughts?

Ken Murikumo
2017-07-24, 11:28 AM
"smash"

short and simple

PrismCat21
2017-07-24, 12:12 PM
Apply the penalty at the same point he gets access to the bonus.

tedcahill2
2017-07-24, 12:36 PM
Apply the penalty at the same point he gets access to the bonus.

The penalty would apply until his next round begins, representing his recklessness but also his total focus on his target.

PrismCat21
2017-07-24, 12:45 PM
The penalty would apply until his next round begins, representing his recklessness but also his total focus on his target.

I should have been more clear.
The penalty needs to be at the same level he gets the bonus.
You said that you were, "thinking it could scale exactly like skirmish, except instead of an AC bonus it's an AC penalty,". - The AC bonus comes two levels after the damage bonus for regular skirmish.

Jack_McSnatch
2017-07-24, 01:43 PM
Skirmish would be a great skirmish-like ability for a barbarian. Combine the whirling frenzy pouncebarian with scout levels. It's pretty great.

EDIT: Homebrew belongs in the homebrew forum.