PDA

View Full Version : Gish Halberdier

mgshamster
2017-07-24, 11:30 AM
I'm starting a new character (my previous one died from excess damage), and I'd like to play a halberdier who uses magic to self enhance.

Homebrew and UA may be allowed.

What would you recommend?

I'm uncertain if I want more fighteriness or more magicks, so my range is EK to Hexblade and anywhere in between. What I'd really like is to see what kinds of options there are out there. I've never made a Gish before.

Thanks!

Koren
2017-07-24, 11:41 AM
oh hey I'm an Eldritch Knight Glaive-er, pretty close. I'm really new at this so my advice may mean less than a veteran.

it's a fun build, EK gets just enough magic to be versatile and bulky. Pure EK may not work if you want to focus on multiple self buffs though, as I've noticed a lot of the best self buffs are outside their spell list. they can still get four unrestricted spells from the wizard list, though, and depending on what you want that may be all you need. Personally I like being a Swiss army knife.

miburo
2017-07-24, 12:52 PM
Do you consider a Paladin to be a Gish? Paladins make a great, great choice for a magic-wielding polearm user. They have tons of buffing type spells (Bless, Magic/Elemental Weapon, things like Hunters's Mark and Haste if you go Oath of Vengeance). Also if you take Polearm Master feat then you can use Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite on that bonus action attack.

EK is viable, although you won't be able to combine Polearm Master with War Magic which kinda sucks. You could instead focus on buffing spells and utility/ranged cantrips (instead of Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade).

Hexblade or Fiend Bladelocks are also a good choice. Thirsting Blade and Hex damage both go really well with Polearm Master. I would go Ftr 1 first for Con save + Heavy Armor.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-24, 04:32 PM
I've thought about making a Blade Pact Warlock with the PM feat before. The Hexblade patron seems the right place to start.

Specter
2017-07-24, 04:37 PM
Ek works. Enlarge yourself for extra reach and +d4 to attacks, attack like crazy with Polearm Master and use your reaction if available for Shield. Should be top-tier.

Lombra
2017-07-24, 05:13 PM
Had a character concept in my mind for a while, Fighter 1 (for heavy armor and con saves)/ bladelock x.

The plan was to roll high stats and to pick a ton of feats, but I never got to roll those good stats. The focus was on PAM, but I really would have liked HAM and War Caster (mainly for the concentration advantage). HAM should have comboed with armor of agathys and hex with PAM, the idea was born before the new UA, the hexblade and the new invocations look dope, although I would have really liked the GOO theme.

mgshamster
2017-07-24, 06:26 PM
Just rolled for my stats:

17, 17, 16, 15, 5, 5

This will be for Storm King's Thunder, and we're starting at level 5.

DM just said PHB and SCAG only, so unfortunately no UA or 3PP.

So my options are EK, Paladin, Ranger, or Hexblade.

Koren
2017-07-24, 06:35 PM

17, 17, 16, 15, 5, 5

Oh sweet merciful Talos those stats. My immediate thought is a Dex EK, dump Str and Cha.

It kills the Halberd plan that way though. I just can't think of any other way to dump two stats THAT hard.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-24, 06:52 PM

17, 17, 16, 15, 5, 5

Ouch those 5's are rough. Going Paladin or EK would get you heavy armor. You could then put one of the 5s in Dex, and except the fact that your initiative will be low (or try and use that recent Mearls Variant)

Still that other 5 has got to go somewhere...

NecroDancer
2017-07-24, 09:44 PM
Play a dexterous bladesinger and put you 5s in strength and charisma.

While everyone else was being social you were studying the blade (a fedora is a must for this build).

mephnick
2017-07-24, 09:51 PM
Yeah it's dump STR/DEX and CHA depending on what you want to do. I prefer STR EK's and would rather fail DEX checks over STR checks even if there aren't as many. DEX checks are generally just damage that you can usually mitigate in other ways. I don't consider initiative as important as 99% of the internet does though, apparently. CHA is the odd mental stat out. You can't dump WIS that low and expect to help your party and I'm morally against EK's that dump INT.

mgshamster
2017-07-24, 10:11 PM
I'm just imagining what it would be like to have 19 strength and 5 Dex. All I can thing of is the guy who's taken so many steroids that he can't wipe his own ass, but he can bench 800 pounds.

Another strong contender is a hunter ranger with int and Cha dumped.

RSP
2017-07-24, 10:19 PM
Does your DM use encumbrance? If so, I'd rule out dumping Str to 5.

Could be a great Fighter 1/Bladelock X (note Hexblade is UA so sounds like that's out) or Paladin. Half Elf could look like this if mitigating the dumps:

Str 17
Dex 6
Con 16
Int 6
Wis 15
Chr 19

Take PAM at 4 at 1st ASI, balance out Str and Chr. You've already essentially handled the MAD issue of being a Bladelock or Pally.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-24, 10:34 PM
EK. Your buff spells don't use Intelligence, so it doesn't need to be great. Put the 5s in Wisdom and Charisma, or Intelligence and Charisma.
I'd also go Standard Human, to make the most out of those odd numbers.
Using a Polearm for reach is really cool, but PAM is not strictly necessary.

Lombra
2017-07-25, 09:00 AM

17, 17, 16, 15, 5, 5

These are the stats that I wish I had. Here's how I'd proceed:

Half elf:
STR 17 +1=18
DEX 5
CON 17 +1= 18
INT 5
WIS 15
CHA 16+2 =18

PAM at 4, and HAM somewhere, then you can max STR CON and CHA. Bad DEX save is gonna hurt but whatever, you'll have HP for days. Alternatively you may swap DEX for WIS, but WIS saves are generally more dangerous than DEX saves. Also the tough feat is an option.

Edit: I was referring to fighter 1/ bladelock x build. Patron is up to you, Fiend is the most optimal for bladelocks tho.

mephnick
2017-07-25, 10:26 AM
I'm just imagining what it would be like to have 19 strength and 5 Dex. All I can thing of is the guy who's taken so many steroids that he can't wipe his own ass, but he can bench 800 pounds.

It does kind of highlight how dumb the separate stats are. I can't even think of what a 19 Dex 5 Str person would look like. Gymnasts and acrobats are insanely strong for their weight. Maybe a sickly child who's nevertheless mastered the art of pick pocketing and sneaking. Not really a fantasy character I'd like to play.