PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What ways can a Wizard get both a Familiar and a bonded object?

Wartex1
2017-07-24, 04:15 PM
I'm likely to be running a Wizard in an upcoming campaign, and since I couldn't find a specialization I particularly liked (sometimes the different abilities didn't mesh too well conceptually with what I had in mind), I decided to go for the Universalist Wizard, which, well, has no real particular benefits, except that they can use an Amulet of Magecraft, unlike any other Wizard.

However, there's a problem. While I want a familiar, the Amulet only works if it's the Wizard's bonded item, so I need to figure out ways to get both.

I know of one way, which is taking the (Improved) Familiar Bond feat, but that's a fairly hefty feat tax (needs Iron Will and is two feats in and of itself). I've seen Arcane Eldritch Heritage suggested, but by RAW it doesn't work since the Arcane bloodline explicitly disallows having both a familiar and a bonded object.

Psyren
2017-07-24, 04:47 PM
VMC Witch will get you a familiar, but that will cost you even more feats (5 instead of 3.) However, the cost is spread out over the life of your character rather than you needing to pony up all 3 feats in advance, plus you get some hexes and a bonus cantrip as a SLA.

While Arcane Bloodline won't work, Aberrant Bloodline + Aberrant Tumor will get you an alchemist's tumor familiar. This will also cost a bunch of feats in the long run though, whether you grab it via Eldritch Heritage or via VMC Sorcerer.

Wartex1
2017-07-24, 05:04 PM
Actually, wait, since I'm going full Wizard, would I automatically qualify for the "special" section of Familiar Bond despite not selecting a Familiar?

Reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/familiar-bond/

Psyren
2017-07-24, 05:40 PM
Actually, wait, since I'm going full Wizard, would I automatically qualify for the "special" section of Familiar Bond despite not selecting a Familiar?

Reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/familiar-bond/

Yes, you can use your wizard level to set your familiar's abilities, thus negating the need to select IFB.

Wartex1
2017-07-24, 06:16 PM
Okay, that changes things. I was worried that it wouldn't count.

That makes it substantially less painful. I'll just skip out on Toughness and Fast Learner and take Iron Will (gonna need it since it's gonna be a spooky campaign) and Familiar Bond. Then Improved Familiar at 7th level.