PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses of Mundane Magic

Stryyke
2017-07-24, 04:22 PM
I'm sure this has been posted a million and a half times before, but ideas evolve over time. I'm about to start a Sorcerer 5 in 3.5, and want to use the spells to their fullest. So I thought I would invite people to give ideas about how to use every-day spells in useful and/or creative ways, so I can be an inspired spellcaster. All first party sources allowed. Other sources would need approval from a finicky DM, so it would have to be pretty well balanced.

Afgncaap5
2017-07-24, 04:44 PM
Mending is a pretty good spell, I find. Text too faded or scratched to read? Candles snapped in two? Gotta save the rapidly fraying rope? Try Mending. Sometimes it requires a *pinch* of DM hand-waving but, for the most part, it does what you think it does and it does it well.

And Prestidigitation is handy for making doves appear with flashes of light whenever you open doors. Everyone knows it's a cheap magical illusion so it won't fool anyone, but still.

Oh, and Animate Rope and Unseen Servant are awesome.

I think a better question, though: what job do you want your sorcerer to have? I'd recommend taking that job seriously, and finding the spells that best fit that job. Magecraft is handy if you're in Eberron.

johnbragg
2017-07-24, 04:46 PM
A sorcerer might want a lot of these on wands rather than spells known.
Unseen servant and summon monster I have tons of potential for shenanigans.
An unseen servant holding a coat rack and a cloak substitutes for a silent image of an extra party member--and a spellcaster at that. Ghost sounds and they're about to cast a spell--better waste your actions on that guy!

Alter self and you have disguises aplenty. If you're willing to bookdive and make your DM hate you, you can maybe get cheap flight, too.

Flaming sphere lets you kill a 1HD mook every round, on average.
Rope trick means no random encounters at night for you and your party.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-07-24, 05:05 PM
Darkvision + ring of the darkhidden (invisible to darkvision) + the no light spell = effective greater invisibility practically at will, for cheap.

Arael666
2017-07-24, 05:46 PM
Darkvision + ring of the darkhidden (invisible to darkvision) + the no light spell = effective greater invisibility practically at will, for cheap.

the problem with that is that no light is countered by light, if there is a spellcaster arround with access to it, chances are he'll have it prepared.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-07-26, 04:08 PM
the problem with that is that no light is countered by light, if there is a spellcaster arround with access to it, chances are he'll have it prepared.

Which leaves about 95% of eveything else in the game. And it's not like spellcasters can't just nope everything else in the game as well, right?

Arael666
2017-07-26, 06:53 PM
Which leaves about 95% of eveything else in the game. And it's not like spellcasters can't just nope everything else in the game as well, right?

I viewing this from a player's perspective. Every module that I read, in every single one of them (that I remember) if there is a caster, even (specially) the low level ones have light prepared or know it (in case of spontaneous).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice and clever combo, but easily thwarted, comically easy.

SnugUndies
2017-07-27, 06:24 AM
At the low levels, there are tons of ways to get creative with prestidigitation (https://100pointsofdawizard.blogspot.ca/2017/07/prestidigitation.html) and unseen servant (https://100pointsofdawizard.blogspot.ca/2016/11/unseen-servant.html) in particular. Once you get a few more levels under your belt, minor creation, fabricate and the like let you Lego your way out of any conflict.