PDA

View Full Version : Mage of the Arcane Order's Spellpool and banned schools.

bjoern
2017-07-24, 04:50 PM
I've seen in a few spot on different forums that a wizard with a banned school can access spells of that school using the MotAO spellpool. But I've yet to see the interpretation that allows this. I'd like to take my 5th level Conjurer into the class , but I want to make sure I can use the spellpool to be more versatile. I want to make sure I have a respectable argument to present to the DM as to why it should work that way. Because by just reading it, I see the discussion going like this.
Me : It says I can access any spell on the spell list.
DM: You can, but you've banned XXX so you can't cast those obviously

Its sound logic, seems more logical to me than miraculously having access to banned magic because of a loophole/technicality.

Thoughts?

Arael666
2017-07-24, 05:40 PM
Been there, done that. Doesn't matter how well you explain it to your DM, he's not gonna accept it - unless he some very reasonable person and can be convinced through good explanations based in logic and possible interpretations of the rules.... yeah right.

My solution to this "problem" was to play a shadowcraft mage, but lika a conjurer. Ban evocation and conjuration, use use earth spell and have all conjurations and evocations at your disposal with the shadow illusion class feature. Worked even better in my opinion.

DEMON
2017-07-25, 12:05 AM
My solution to this "problem" was to play a shadowcraft mage, but lika a conjurer. Ban evocation and conjuration, use use earth spell and have all conjurations and evocations at your disposal with the shadow illusion class feature. Worked even better in my opinion.

Not all conjurations, only 2 subschools.

Arael666
2017-07-26, 08:54 AM
Not all conjurations, only 2 subschools.

yeah the two schools a BF control wizard cares about the most. Sure, we miss out on the planar binding line, gate and teleportation spells, which is a bummer but the benefit vastly outweigh the downside;