PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Enhancing the Wayangs — Is This Reasonable?

Palanan
2017-07-24, 08:04 PM
I like the overall concept of the wayangs, but for a race touched by shadow they don’t have much that’s really shadow-ey. The Light and Dark ability in particular doesn’t seem to have anything to do with shadows per se, and Shadow Magic seems a little meh.

So, I’m thinking of replacing Light and Dark with the Shadow Blending ability (50% miss chance in dim light), and replacing Shadow Magic with See in Darkness, which allows for perfect sight even in magical darkness. Also thinking of throwing in Hatred, probably against humans.

I’d also like to add one other ability—a limited version of Shadow Jump, with a range of 30 feet between areas of shadow or darkness, probably no more than 1+Wisdom modifier per day.

Would all of this together work out to a +1 CR version of the race? I'm not aiming for that specific benchmark, but the whole package together seems a little too strong otherwise.

Genth
2017-07-24, 10:57 PM
Two things to note - The Shadow Plane also has, in Pathfinder, a strong connection to the Undead, and is at least partially powered by negative energy. Umbral dragons, for example, breathe negative energy. Secondly, Shadow Magic is pretty darn powerful for any character who has Shadow Evocation or Conjuration.

Your proposals do look good as alternate racial features however, shadow blending works really well, and See in Darkness is a cool ability, though other races tend to give 90ft darkvision as the alternate racial feature. As for the shadow step, possibly have it as an alternate for Shadow Magic, usable 1/day, at 4th level? Otherwise it's a bit strong to get right off the bat.

Palanan
2017-07-25, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Genth
Your proposals do look good as alternate racial features however, shadow blending works really well, and See in Darkness is a cool ability, though other races tend to give 90ft darkvision as the alternate racial feature. As for the shadow step, possibly have it as an alternate for Shadow Magic, usable 1/day, at 4th level? Otherwise it's a bit strong to get right off the bat.

Okay, thanks. I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Leaving out the shadow step ability, would the remaining features be essentially on a par with a baseline wayang?

2. Would adding in the shadow step ability create a CR 2 version of a wayang? I’m trying to get a sense of the relative strength of this option, and how much of a boost it would be to the baseline wayang.

Florian
2017-07-26, 04:37 AM
@Palanan:

You´re mixing up two races. Fetchling (Transformed by Shadow) and Wayang (Transformed by Light).
Take the time and read Blood of Shadows, that´s actually pretty good and has some of the ART and modifications you seek.

Edit: Interestingly enough, when targeted by the spell First World Revisions, Wayangs turn into Gnomes.

Palanan
2017-07-26, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Florian
You´re mixing up two races. Fetchling (Transformed by Shadow) and Wayang (Transformed by Light).

No, I’m not. I’m aware of the differences between the wayangs and the fetchlings, and my concept involves wayangs with the additional abilities I’ve described—only one of which is shared by the fetchlings.

Originally Posted by Florian
Take the time and read Blood of Shadows….

I don’t have access to this book.

Really, all I’m asking for is an estimate of what the CR would be with the abilities I’ve laid out.

Psyren
2017-07-26, 09:44 AM
Really, all I’m asking for is an estimate of what the CR would be with the abilities I’ve laid out.

I think +1 is too low for all that. I would probably tone it down.

Palanan
2017-07-26, 09:55 AM
Okay, thanks very much for the perspective.

Let's say I go with a toned-down version, just swapping in Shadow Blending and See in Darkness. Would that by itself equal a baseline wayang, or is that crossing into CR+1 territory?

And for the full package, is that closer to CR+2? I know it's the shadow-step ability that's weighting this, just trying to get a sense of how heavily.

Palanan
2017-07-27, 03:22 PM
Still looking for some feedback—in particular, whether the limited shadow step ability is worth an additional +1 CR by itself, on top of the +1 CR from the other abilities.

Anyone? Please? Don’t make me go to the Paizo boards. :smalltongue: