PDA

View Full Version : Way of the Dim Light? Shadow Monk Turns Sun Soulish....

Xrposiedon
2017-07-25, 01:10 AM
&&&& deleting for game reasons

Foxhound438
2017-07-25, 01:23 AM
it seems neat, but honestly rolling persuasion (or anything of that sort tbh) is a sort of soft PVP that I wouldn't allow at my table. Your character, your agency. not the dice's and not the other player's.

But assuming you want to keep going with this and are okay with the forced change, the ranged attack is basically strictly better for you since you can pick a damage type, assuming you can still use the "flurry of lasers" effect, and teleporting from bright light is a bit easier to manipulate since even in dungeons you can carry 2 torches and toss one as part of your move to get to places of your choice, while still keeping the other torch with you.

As far as changing level ups, I'd personally stick to pure monk for at least a while.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-25, 02:07 AM
The DM (She) Gave me a choice, but I prefer to let the dice decide a lot about my character, so I went along with it. I am not upset by any means, because I really liked the idea of being GOKU tossing energy beams, it actually worked out really well because I didnt actually want to go full sunsoul, and if I had rolled perfectly, I would have been. However, now I have a half and half, and its really unique....I love the idea, but I just dont know how to really play it.

I have rolled immensely well on HP....at lvl 4, I am rolling with 37 HP because of 16 con. My lowest stat is int at 8, followed by str at 11.

I play him with no weapons. My character prefers to be shirtless, pantsless, and rolls around in house slippers and a loin cloth....he uses his fists as his weapons....so its all around been pretty hilarious.

I just would love some cool idea help on how to use this new ability of ranged attacks

ALSO on the ranged flurry....Yes I can do that. I still have flurry of blows and I can still rain down heavens fury from my fists from 30 ft.

There's not a whole lot you can do to improve your Sun/Moon blasts, see if you're dm will allow spell sniper to double is range and stuff. Maybe pick up a level or two into light cleric or go 6 levels into celestial patron warlock or maybe some shadow sorcerer levels, if you have enough CHA.

Honestly i would play this out pretty much full monk. Seems really cool idea.

NecroDancer
2017-07-25, 06:51 AM
You can still be a shadow monk and worship a god of light no problem. I have a shadow monk who's whole backstory is that he is a lookout for a ship and the balls of darkness he makes are a type of signal that can be easily seen on a sunny day.

Don't let another player change how you want to play your class, perhaps talk to the DM to work out any chances together.

Also a 20 persuasion doesn't mean you convince people to do whatever, it means they are convinced you 100% believe in whatever you say.

Joe the Rat
2017-07-25, 09:36 AM
I'm loving the idea on this.

Spell Sniper working for your yin-yang blasts (or a similar feat for "spell attacks that are not spells and other spell-like abilities even though that is not a thing anymore") would really help. Or crossbow expert so you can Twilight Flurry with opponents adjacent as well as at distance. 30 feet is nothing to a monk.

Try working with your DM to strike a balance on features - some features are Light, some Darkness. "Light step" - as a straight substitution - is strange. So you can teleport in locations of bright light? You fade into the light somehow? Unless you are operating in a severe Chiaroscuro style (yes, the ninja episode of Samurai Jack was cool art), it's kind of weird. get that nailed down, or leave that as darkness, and fuel something else with light. Your minor illusion is as much a thing of light as darkness. Maybe you should get light as well.

A level or two of light cleric would give you some light features to balance the inherent darkness of your monk style. If you don't want to lose the ki for levels, Magic Initiate: Cleric for light, sacred flame, and whatever 1st level cleric spell you like (cure wounds or healing word is obvious, guiding bolt has a lot of potential) would fill some gaps.