PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with a Build to fit this group and concept (level 1-16)

Coidzor
2017-07-25, 02:02 AM
So the rough idea right now that I have is that since Civilization is kind of in decline at the moment in the world we're playing in, my character has decided to try to rectify this state of affairs. They can't just instantly take over and magically fix everything, though, and so in order to gain the power to take control and affect real change, they've turned to adventuring.

In this case, it's adventuring to strengthen the frontiers of civilization and then go out and end some external threats in order to win the prestige and position necessary to deal with internal decadence.

Currently my concept's patron deity is the God of Civilization, Wealth, and Trade(PF's Abadar (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Abadar)), who our DM has assigned Knowledge, Protection, and Light Domains for Clerics. The more traditionally Paladiny god options are the God of Community, Hunting, Farming, and Trade (Life, Nature, Protection Domains), the Goddess of Smiting (Light, Protection, War Domains), and the God of The Forge, Dwarves, Fortifications, and Strategy (Forge, Protection, War Domains).

So there's a certain amount of Civilization/Humanity **** Yeah! to the character concept and also the character's own personal ethos.

Right now I'm torn between going Vhuman to start off with Polearm Mastery+Quarterstaff, Shield Mastery, or Magic Initiate to get Booming Blade as preparation for when I can get War Caster; and going Half-Elf for the extra skills and starting with an 18 Charisma. Either way, my ability scores are going to be pretty good as I rolled my stats.

If I went Standard Human

Vs VHuman

Vs Half-Elf
Cha 18

My initial thought was to go straight Paladin, probably Oath of the Crown, since that seemed to fit my patron the best, as well as the idea, though maybe one of the others could fit as well. Then I found out just what the level cap would be, and there's nothing particularly compelling to me about Paladin 16 or Paladin 17. The quality of my stats also got me to thinking about MCing it up.

The rest of the party are going to be a whip-wielding Half-Elf Bard(custom proficiency), a Kenku Bladesinger Wizard, and, IIRC, a Tempest Cleric. Given that party it seems like Oath of the Crown's main draw abilities just won't hold much appeal, since it's useless to keep my enemies within 30' of me and away from my allies if my allies are going to want to mix it up in melee normally. So I'm having some second thoughts about that.

Since we have a Bard already, I decided against one of my earlier ideas of pulling a Paladin 11/Bard 5 build. I really like Improved Divine Smite, perhaps more than I really should, so some thoughts about how much that's actually worth would be appreciated.

So, given the concept and the limitations on what I could grab with a Cleric dip which I could sort of afford despite the MAD it introduces, is there anything that comes to mind beyond just going Paladin with maybe a dip into Fighter or Warlock or going into a Sorcadin style build for raw power?