PDA

View Full Version : Help with spells - do i really have to copy them all manually?

Sergio
2017-07-25, 05:56 AM
I'm looking forward to playing a dread necromancer in my campaign.I've got a problem though. Given that I've never played mage, I don't know any spell. The lucky part is that the dread necromancer has a certain fixed selection.

To be able to fully enjoy it, I would have to manually copy each spell for each level found here:

{Scrubbed}

Is there a way to avoid me clicking each spell, copying the content into a word page, then printing it? I will need at least 25-30 minutes this way. And given the annoyance, it seems weird to me that no one ever made a file with all the spells available ready to be printable.

Thanks for help

lord_khaine
2017-07-25, 06:03 AM
The reason for why there are no readily available files with all the spells, is that by the time most people has a chance to play a Dread Necromancer then they have already tried the regular casters in the PHB. And has managed to memorise the majority of their spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-25, 09:09 AM
The reason for why there are no readily available files with all the spells, is that by the time most people has a chance to play a Dread Necromancer then they have already tried the regular casters in the PHB. And has managed to memorise the majority of their spells. there are a number of non-core spells on the list that would be illegal to reproduce.
Fixed that for you.

You might be able to find sheets with a complete list and maybe a summary, but I'd be surprised if you got beyond that. On the plus side, you probably won't need every spell-- for now, just copy the ones you can actually cast.

johnbragg
2017-07-25, 10:15 AM
Considering where you are, do you want to send up a bat-signal asking advice on what Dread Necro spells are best? The text of the spell description gives you the rules, but people here can tell you what tends to work best in game, what's a hidden gem, what sounds devastating but turns out to be not that great.

Buufreak
2017-07-25, 10:57 AM
Also, that link is jam packed with illegal content by copyright laws, and posting it is against forum rules. Might be a good idea to remove it.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-25, 11:21 AM
I make an excel file for every game I have something like spells to use.
I sort them duration, school, name, affect, target, book and every spell level is in a different page.

you can use the file in your phone if you use Google docs or similar program, you can even bring a computer or a laptop in order to use your files (I never use papers because I have problem in my hands and I don't like to waste papers).

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-25, 11:23 AM
I use note cards and copy the content on to them from the books. You only have to do it once for each spell and then just don't lose them. It's easier than a sheet of paper in my opinion.

johnbragg
2017-07-25, 11:32 AM
My somewhat kludgy approach to notecards vs 8x11 pages is to use Powerpoint, and print-as-handouts with 6 to a page.

The slide has the spell name, level, one-sentence description, page number for reference if needed.

I also have a slide for each of my favorite summons, or wildshape forms etc.

Uckleverry
2017-07-25, 01:39 PM
If you've never played a mage before, don't play a dread necromancer. Play a sorcerer instead, and select necromancy spells. You won't have to learn a ton of new rules all at once, but instead can slowly absorb the spell system mechanics. As a sorcerer, you'd know way fewer spells, but you wouldn't be limited to a fairly strictly themed list when choosing which ones to learn.

lord_khaine
2017-07-25, 01:48 PM
Fixed that for you.

You might be able to find sheets with a complete list and maybe a summary, but I'd be surprised if you got beyond that. On the plus side, you probably won't need every spell-- for now, just copy the ones you can actually cast.

No. You did absolutely not fix anything Whatsoever. You can be certain that had i meant to write anything about legality or non-core spells then i would have done so.
If you are unable to determine if something is in need of fixing or not, then you should perhaps refrain from trying to to fix it.

And you certainly should avoid missquoting people.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-25, 01:54 PM
If you've never played a mage before, don't play a dread necromancer. Play a sorcerer instead, and select necromancy spells. You won't have to learn a ton of new rules all at once, but instead can slowly absorb the spell system mechanics. As a sorcerer, you'd know way fewer spells, but you wouldn't be limited to a fairly strictly themed list when choosing which ones to learn.
Eh. The Dread Necromancer is much simpler to build, doesn't really require any more rules than the Sorcerer does, and will be just as effective a necromancer if not more.

No. You did absolutely not fix anything Whatsoever. You can be certain that had i meant to write anything about legality or non-core spells then i would have done so.
If you are unable to determine if something is in need of fixing or not, then you should perhaps refrain from trying to to fix it.

And you certainly should avoid missquoting people.
Dude, lighten up. "Fixed that for you" is a common, lightly-snarky thing on this board. It's not meant to be an insult.

Uckleverry
2017-07-25, 02:29 PM
Eh. The Dread Necromancer is much simpler to build, doesn't really require any more rules than the Sorcerer does, and will be just as effective a necromancer if not more.

During play, a dread necromancer has way more options, which can overwhelm a player who's not accustomed to spells. During play, a dread necromancer requires checking way more rules than a sorcerer of the same level. Remember, this is a player who has not memorized what even the more common spells do.

Building is not the difficult part. A class with 200 build options but only 2 spells to choose from during actual play is much more noob-friendly than a class with 2 build options but 200 spells to choose from when playing the game. That's an extreme, but a sorcerer is closer to the former, while a dread necro the latter.

lord_khaine
2017-07-25, 02:35 PM
Dude, lighten up. "Fixed that for you" is a common, lightly-snarky thing on this board. It's not meant to be an insult.

Then you should focus on fixing the posts of people who think its funny. Because i see it as both patronising and a insult.
If you think im wrong then its perfectly fair. And you are free to prove it however you please.

But the moment someone step in to fix something they declare themselves the final arbiter of what is wrong and in need of fixing.

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-25, 02:36 PM
During play, a dread necromancer has way more options, which can overwhelm a player who's not accustomed to spells. During play, a dread necromancer requires checking way more rules than a sorcerer of the same level. Remember, this is a player who has not memorized what even the more common spells do.

I make it a point NOT to memorize spells and rely on my spell cards. It helps prevent confusion. Since I laminate them I only have to make them once and then I have them permanently. If I get a new spell, I make a new card.

TheYell
2017-07-25, 02:39 PM
I use note cards and copy the content on to them from the books. You only have to do it once for each spell and then just don't lose them. It's easier than a sheet of paper in my opinion.

I do this and use an old recipe box for index cards. Should be able to get one at the dollar store with the cards.

Jack_Simth
2017-07-25, 02:51 PM
Is there a way to avoid me clicking each spell, copying the content into a word page, then printing it? I will need at least 25-30 minutes this way. And given the annoyance, it seems weird to me that no one ever made a file with all the spells available ready to be printable.

Thanks for help
Umm... you may wish to review the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), specifically the ones on linking copyrighted content.

icefractal
2017-07-25, 05:46 PM
Building is not the difficult part. A class with 200 build options but only 2 spells to choose from during actual play is much more noob-friendly than a class with 2 build options but 200 spells to choose from when playing the game. That's an extreme, but a sorcerer is closer to the former, while a dread necro the latter.Disagreed, unless someone else is building the character for them. With a Dread Necromancer, you just take the class and that's it - you're a competent Necromancer. With Sorcerer, if you pick the wrong spells you could end up nearly useless.

Even if someone else is doing the building, a fixed-list caster like the DN still has one advantage - any guides you find about playing one are going to be applicable. If a Sorcerer guide says "Use Scorching Ray against single tough foes", but you didn't pick Scorching Ray, you're back to square one.

PrismCat21
2017-07-25, 07:08 PM
Because i see it as both patronising and a insult.

So you respond by being patronising and insulting in return?

That seems rather patronising and insulting to me.
I'd better respond by saying something patronising and insulting now.