PDA

View Full Version : New character; Rate?

DnDLover2002
2017-07-25, 05:10 PM
Elf druid. He is a criminal. I want to start playing but can anyone recommend some tips for me? For my character?

Cybren
2017-07-25, 05:18 PM
You should do some crime, either with or without using your druid abilities

NecroDancer
2017-07-25, 05:22 PM
a Circle of the land Druid is a "nature wizard", a circle of the moon Druid is a "melee literal monster Druid". Either way being a Druid is awesome for all 20 levels and powerful no matter what Circle you choose.

Try to max out your wisdom because that's what determines how good your soells are. A 14-16 is also good for dexterity and constitution.

Dealing and preventing damage is a better option than healing damage so only use your healing spells on allies who seriously need it. Remember, you don't even need to heal if you don't want to, play your character how YOU want to play it. Also be a team player, this is a team game.

And last but not least, have fun!

Desteplo
2017-07-25, 05:43 PM
You could be an activist. Peaceful or otherwise.

MrStabby
2017-07-25, 05:46 PM
Have no concept of private property. The wilderness is your domain but you share it with everything. You do not recognise that trees and rocks and land can be owned. This gives rise to others viewing you as a criminal.

To cap it off, play as a lawful good character by ethos, to have the joy of being a lawful good criminal.

Koren
2017-07-25, 06:00 PM
did you already have an idea for alignment? most people here see criminal and automatically assume Evil or Chaotic it seems.

Vaz
2017-07-25, 06:39 PM
I Rate it a 4.33.

Hooligan
2017-07-25, 08:21 PM
Crush your enemies.
See them driven before you.
Hear the lamentations of their women.

Princess
2017-07-25, 09:42 PM
If you're considering roleplay, think about how they developed their skill set - were they a criminal who then became a druid and gave up actively breaking laws for selfish reasons, or is it an ongoing interest? Maybe becoming a druid made them rethink their criminal past entirely, or refocus their efforts? Do they interfere with loggers or poachers in dastardly ways? Or is their bandit past just a set of skills they can use when necessary?

Mechanically, wisdom and dexterity are your main stats. You can be one of the most observant and sneakiest characters in any given group if you have a high stealth and perception check, and fill in whatever else you think you're most likely to use. Circle of the Moon could make you an excellent scout if you shift into sneaky animals as well, (or high dex ones, at least), and there are plenty of interesting spell choices among Circle of the Land (Underdark or Coast, for instance) that could also play up a reconnaissance skill set very well.

Chugger
2017-07-25, 09:45 PM
If you're an urban criminal planning on going moon, you may be drastically limited on what you can wildshape into (pigeon, rat, draft horse, guard dog - animals you see in a city). Would you have seen a dire wolf, a brown bear, lion and so on? If not, you can't wildshape into them until you have. Could be unpleasant for a while.

Azgeroth
2017-07-26, 07:15 AM
1. why are you a druid??
are you a wood elf, raised by druids to be a druid?
raised in a village/town befriended by a fey creature, trained to be a druid?

why are you a criminal? did you intentional cause harm to property or persons in defense of nature, did you release livestock? seed plants other than crops in a farmers field?

how did that affect your views of society if at all, what does nature and being a druid mean?

food for thought at least :) that should help sort your background, acolyte, hermit, criminal all fit well.

2. stats!

you mentioned elf, wood, high, dark, half??
point buy,standard array, rolling??

ill assume standard array, 15 14 13 12 10 8 (i think?) and wood elf..

Str 8, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 13

after mods,

Str8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 13

thats a decent spread of any druid, especially good for land druids, though, if you want min max.. go 15 15 15 8 8 8,

str 8 dex 8 con 8 int 15 wis 15 cha 15

str 8 dex 10 con 8 int 15 wis 16 cha 15, go moon druid.. hope you survive to level 2, and let the wildshape madness begin!

ill leave spell recomendations alone for now.

DnDLover2002
2017-07-26, 01:47 PM
did you already have an idea for alignment? most people here see criminal and automatically assume Evil or Chaotic it seems.

I had himset to Chaotic Good.

DnDLover2002
2017-07-26, 01:48 PM
1. why are you a druid??
are you a wood elf, raised by druids to be a druid?
raised in a village/town befriended by a fey creature, trained to be a druid?

why are you a criminal? did you intentional cause harm to property or persons in defense of nature, did you release livestock? seed plants other than crops in a farmers field?

how did that affect your views of society if at all, what does nature and being a druid mean?

food for thought at least :) that should help sort your background, acolyte, hermit, criminal all fit well.

2. stats!

you mentioned elf, wood, high, dark, half??
point buy,standard array, rolling??

ill assume standard array, 15 14 13 12 10 8 (i think?) and wood elf..

Str 8, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 13

after mods,

Str8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 13

thats a decent spread of any druid, especially good for land druids, though, if you want min max.. go 15 15 15 8 8 8,

str 8 dex 8 con 8 int 15 wis 15 cha 15

str 8 dex 10 con 8 int 15 wis 16 cha 15, go moon druid.. hope you survive to level 2, and let the wildshape madness begin!

ill leave spell recomendations alone for now.

Thank you for all the ideas! They have helped me with some of my backstory.

DnDLover2002
2017-07-26, 01:49 PM
If you're an urban criminal planning on going moon, you may be drastically limited on what you can wildshape into (pigeon, rat, draft horse, guard dog - animals you see in a city). Would you have seen a dire wolf, a brown bear, lion and so on? If not, you can't wildshape into them until you have. Could be unpleasant for a while.

Okay.. Thanks for the tips!

DnDLover2002
2017-07-26, 01:51 PM
If you're considering roleplay, think about how they developed their skill set - were they a criminal who then became a druid and gave up actively breaking laws for selfish reasons, or is it an ongoing interest? Maybe becoming a druid made them rethink their criminal past entirely, or refocus their efforts? Do they interfere with loggers or poachers in dastardly ways? Or is their bandit past just a set of skills they can use when necessary?

Mechanically, wisdom and dexterity are your main stats. You can be one of the most observant and sneakiest characters in any given group if you have a high stealth and perception check, and fill in whatever else you think you're most likely to use. Circle of the Moon could make you an excellent scout if you shift into sneaky animals as well, (or high dex ones, at least), and there are plenty of interesting spell choices among Circle of the Land (Underdark or Coast, for instance) that could also play up a reconnaissance skill set very well.

Really good ideas! I dont exactly know what i am planning yey but this will definitely help.

N810
2017-07-26, 01:52 PM
Elf druid. He is a criminal
I had himset to Chaotic Good.

Sounds very Greenpeace... :smallwink:

djreynolds
2017-07-27, 03:31 AM
Turned into a mouse to gain entry to the room of the princess.

And then turned into a............... a donkey

Well the king came in and saw you.

YOU ARE NOW WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE

qube
2017-07-27, 03:48 AM
Elf druid. He is a criminal. I want to start playing but can anyone recommend some tips for me? For my character? Google "shadow druid".

Shadow Druids are druidic cult active in Sword Coast and Amn which believes that nature
should drive out civilization with violence.