PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Psychic Gunslinger?

Lockwolfe
2017-07-25, 06:13 PM
I'm creating a character for a steampunk campaign that we're going to be playing soon. I'm playing a detective and I thought the Mystic class would be cool. Then I thought it would be cool to use a snub-nosed revolver and go psychic gunslinger. My DM is cool with UA and some homebrew, and he's fine with my character using a gun. That being said, what's a good build? We're beginning at level 5. I'm thinking of multiclassing Mystic and Arcane Archer.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-25, 06:39 PM
I'm creating a character for a steampunk campaign that we're going to be playing soon. I'm playing a detective and I thought the Mystic class would be cool. Then I thought it would be cool to use a snub-nosed revolver and go psychic gunslinger. My DM is cool with UA and some homebrew, and he's fine with my character using a gun. That being said, what's a good build? We're beginning at level 5. I'm thinking of multiclassing Mystic and Arcane Archer.

That would do pretty well, grab nomadic arrow discipline, and you should be solid in any type of build

Steampunkette
2017-07-25, 11:01 PM
I'd just go Warlock, myself. Great Old One, pact of the Tome.

Use EB as "Mind Bullets" from your gun (refluff a rod of the pact keeper, ASAP), grab knockback invocation for some violent TK, hit up Thorn Whip so you can manipulate the battlefield even further, mold earth and mage hand, maybe silent image to round put your cantrip's unless you'd prefer Friends.

Then use your spell slots for mind affecting stuff, illusions, and maybe the TK spell.

Invocations give you some great options for at will psychic toys like disguise self and leap. Just rp it up as psychic.

jaappleton
2017-07-26, 05:52 AM
I second Punkette's idea.

Since you're starting at 5th level, you can get the Gunslinger Detective feel right out of the gate. Going Mystic / Arcane Archer is also a very viable route for your concept (Its one I'm exploring myself for one of my own characters), but with Punkette's idea, you get that feeling from the start.

Additionally, I think Archfey could also work very well. The lv7 ability gets you out of a jam, and the level 1 ability can be used to charm people for information or intimidate them into running away during battle.

GOO for a gritty detective
Archfey for a little more suave

Rogerdodger557
2017-07-26, 06:05 AM
GOO for a gritty detective
Archfey for a little more suave

Fiend for the dirty cop
Undying for the secret serial killer

Lockwolfe
2017-07-26, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about playing a warlock. I'll take that into consideration. I have been wanting to try out the Raven Queen patron.

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-07-27, 05:34 PM
Something interesting might be a steampunk variant of the Ghost in the Machine warlock from the magi-cyberpunk Modern Magic UA (plus the Arcane Gunslinger invocation), mixed with the awakened order Mystic

Iamcreative
2017-07-27, 05:54 PM
If you dont want to go warlock, fighter 5/nomad mystic x is really cool (at least I had fun with mine) although I went battlemaster, but arcane archer wpuld certainly be really cool too

Steampunkette
2017-07-28, 06:18 AM
The only reason I suggested GOO for warlock is telepathy at level 1.

Joe the Rat
2017-07-28, 11:56 AM
It rather depends on if he's thinking of "gunslinger who is also psychic," or "detective who uses psychic guns" - a classic psychic / psychometer / Bosch type, or a guy that shoots with his mind (and a gun).

Sirithhyando
2017-07-28, 12:01 PM
Artificier class (not the wizard subclass) with the mystic would be good?

The thunder cannon from the artificier fit and the nomad mystic as someone else specified would do well too.

Lockwolfe
2017-07-30, 10:42 AM
Artificier class (not the wizard subclass) with the mystic would be good?

The thunder cannon from the artificier fit and the nomad mystic as someone else specified would do well too.

My main issue is that I'd have to use up all of my bonus actions to reload.