PDA

View Full Version : Making a new barbarian in 5e based on a favorite character, need advice...

CrackedChair
2017-07-25, 08:02 PM
So I decided that with me being drawn to Fighters, I decided I'd take a step somewhere else and create a Barbarian for once.

I know Barbarians in 5e are the tank sort, having high hit points and good armor class based on not wearing any armor at all, but I feel like I need to learn a bit more on it.

And this is the character I wanted to base her on... http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Rinkah

Now I need to consider a few things on barbarians, namely that I need to decide what path to take as one and how to play my character out. I know she might be independent, but that might give a bit of looks when she is with an adventuring party, so I need to come up with some reason.

I also need to consider just what weapon to pick. The maul might be thematically appropriate, considering the character I am basing her on uses blunt weapons, but other than that, I am at a loss when it comes to Barbarians.

Can someone help me out?

Finger6842
2017-07-26, 02:25 AM
So I decided that with me being drawn to Fighters, I decided I'd take a step somewhere else and create a Barbarian for once.

I know Barbarians in 5e are the tank sort, having high hit points and good armor class based on not wearing any armor at all, but I feel like I need to learn a bit more on it.

And this is the character I wanted to base her on... http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Rinkah

Now I need to consider a few things on barbarians, namely that I need to decide what path to take as one and how to play my character out. I know she might be independent, but that might give a bit of looks when she is with an adventuring party, so I need to come up with some reason.

I also need to consider just what weapon to pick. The maul might be thematically appropriate, considering the character I am basing her on uses blunt weapons, but other than that, I am at a loss when it comes to Barbarians.

Can someone help me out?

Barbarians honor their debts, you owe one of the party members, just put it in your back story. Perhaps she believes one of them is a chosen one? I personally prefer Bear totem for tanking but you decide based on party roll. Wolf is better in a mêlée heavy party. Then I take Eagle and then Bear again. I recommend a polearm and taking polearm master. I'm sure your DM will allow a Blunt damage type polearm to apply, just talk to him or her first. If not Great Weapon Fighter 2 handed club would be thematic.

Try a non standard race for her, Half Elf is awesome because thematically they look very similar plus the sleep and charm resistance fit, avoid variant human, it's stale and lack of dark vision is a critical failure. Half orc, lizardfolk, bugbear and dwarf all make good barbarians.

Priorities are STR/CON, DEX WIS then INT or CHA as desired. Don't multiclass, the capstone rocks, just in case you get that far, instead drive STR and CON to 20 if possible.

Rinkah can choose from several backgrounds, she's royalty, she's roguish, a soldier protecting the avatar, an urchin following her own path. Maybe some combination you talk the DM into. A ton to RP here.

See more info here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389546-I-ll-NEVER-Die!-(A-Guide-to-the-5E-Barbarian)

Chugger
2017-07-26, 03:22 AM
If by what path to take you mean beserker or totem, beserker seems heavily broken. You're main ability is awesome but leads to exhaustion, and if you use it even once a day you pay a price - but twice and you're really paying a price (exh is slow to recover from - if you get to rest a lot and often in the campaign you could try it - but seriously you can only use your main power once a day for one amazing battle and be kind of gimped compared to other barbs the rest of the day). Eagle is okay, but wolf and bear are killer. Wolf gives advantage to any meleer friend w/in 5' of you - not good to pick if there are no serious meleers in the party (you don't get an advantage from it). Bear makes you resistant to all but psychic damage and is very powerful.

2h maul is a nice weapon. As the other person said, w/ GWM feat it can be deadly. Especially if someone can give you an advantage in combat (like casting faerie fire on the target).

Can you ask a shorter more limited question maybe? I think we can help you better if we better understand what advice it is you want.

Arcangel4774
2017-07-26, 04:57 AM
Rinkah is add one in fates. She's got relatively high skill, speed, and defense, but low strength and hp. This on a class that has high strength and hp and low skill. But really all that doesnt matter much here.

Maul is both thematic and one of the better weapons for her as well. It may not work as well with the extra crit die, but otherwise it's a great choice.

As for how to rationalize the character here s some things to think about. Rinkah' s isolation cones from the trying to protect her tribe as outsiders have caused trouble. That being said she finds idle chatter pointless, but doesn't try to quell true friendship. She is proud and self reliant. She both pays her debts and hates to be indebted in the first place. She is quick to rise to challenges and can be pretty easily baited. That being said she strives towards controlling her anger for the sake of being a leader for her tribe.

Totem(those bear resistances in particular) makes good sense for her as it reflects her in game tankiness.

Specter
2017-07-26, 07:07 AM
Barbarians don't have high AC. Even if they did, it would be wasted with Reckless Attack. You should be sponging damage, yes, but don't worry about AC.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-26, 12:32 PM
Barbarians can have a high AC if they are willing to invest in Dex and Con, but it typically isn't worth it. 14 Dex and Medium Armour is sufficient. Maul is a great choice for a Barbarian, It won't crit as high as a Greataxe, but it will have a higher average damage.

If going Maul, I would definable take the Great weapon master feat as soon as possible. Don't be afreaid to use Reckless attack with the -5/+10 damage from GWM. It's a great combo.

As far as baths go, Eagle totem would seem to fit the characters speed. If UA is allowed take a look at the Path of the Storm Herald. The desert option has a fire damage aura, and resistance to fire damage All the time not just while raging!).

MeeposFire
2017-07-26, 02:11 PM
Going for high AC is a good option for a small barbarian since wielding heavy weapons is a bad idea for them. Due to that GWF is not a good feat for them and so going sword and board or even TWF is a good idea for them.