PDA

View Full Version : Character concept for Druid

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-25, 11:59 PM
So me an my friends have started running through Out of the Abyss and have finished chapter one. I was playing a Paladin of Kelemvor and was going to go the vengeance path, but kinda got bored of the Lawful neutral nature of the character. My DM is fully aware I want to bring in a new character and I sorta want to bring in a druid. I have a skeletal build set up for level two already, just trying to think of what background to give him. His stats are as followed

Str: 12
Dex: 20
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 18
Cha: 10

Could use some advice on multiclass too, currently the party is made up of those who survived the breakout and my buddy who is playing a Forrest Gnome wizard.

Chugger
2017-07-26, 03:15 AM
Are you going moon or land?

Azgeroth
2017-07-26, 03:38 AM
holy crap thats a high dex for level 2, especially for a druid.. can you swap those around??

have you any character concept in mind??

first thoughts with druid, if your going moon, dont worry about str dex and con, most combats your going to be wild shaped and use that creatures stats, whilst maintaining your mental stats (wis int cha).

so for min max, max your wis first, then either cha or int depending on the character your playing

if your going land however, you will want to put points into at least dex and con, still not as heavy as you have but bare in mind druids do not get extra attack, theres no point stat'ing for melee, you will suck at it (unless your moon, and beast shape.)

JellyPooga
2017-07-26, 04:07 AM
I would respectfully disagree with Azgeroth on switching out that Dex (which presumably comes, at least in part, from Racial mods); high Dex is great for a Druid because it increases initiative and with some of the best battlefield control spells on their list, you really want those out ASAP. Druids also have relatively low AC due to armour limitations, so rocking that 20 Dex allows you to wear light armour and be happy with it. I might consider switching Str and Cha, because encumbrance aside, you likely won't be using Str for, well, anything and Charisma Saves can be crippling (but then, so can Str...milage varies). A Finesse weapon, even with a low damage dice like a Dagger, will stand you in better stead than the more stereotypical Quarterstaff or Club.

With those stats, I'd highly recommend Land Druid. Moon Druid is great if your physical stats are low, but you've (presumably) rolled well enough that Wild Shape isn't going to be compensating for that; rather it'll likely be reducing your combat efficiency (the HP buffer aside).

Multiclassing? Don't bother. As with any spellslinger, higher level spells trump a broader range of spells and as a Land Druid, you want as many Druid levels for Natural Recovery as possible. Having said that, a dip into Warlock or Nature Cleric can give you some nice flavourful utility, if you really want to MC.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-26, 04:50 AM
What race? Wood Elf? Wondering how you got the 20 Dex.

Those stats, in those slots, scream Land Druid. If you're Wood Elf, you're gold - rock a Scimitar/Short Sword and Short Bow and get all utility cantrips.

Druid is one of the least amenable classes to multiclassing. They get awesome goodies at every stage.

What sourcebooks are you using? Take a look at the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. It's a free PDF, and has a *great* selection of elemental cantrips and spells that can really help you theme a character.

nickl_2000
2017-07-26, 06:43 AM
Possible Multiclassing for your Druid

1 level into Life Cleric. Give +4 health for each goodberries eaten, more armor profs, and more healing spells always prepared. Plus you don't lose your spell progressions
2 levels Rogue for expertise and cunning action (plus you know Druidic and Thieves Cant, all the secret languages!)
1 Level Monk for unarmored defense (19 ac with your stats and you have a free hand all the time)
2 Levels Monk for unarmored defense, +10ft to movement, and 2 Ki
3 Levels Monk for unarmored defense, +10ft to movement, 3 Ki, and likely Way of the shadow (free minor illusion cantrip, and darkness/silence/pass without a trace for Ki)

Note for Monk - you can use Ki while wildshaped as well.

Barbarian is also good, but you don't have the strength to multiclass it

Beelzebubba
2017-07-26, 07:29 AM
If you want to be a bit more martial, then 2 levels of Ranger give you Archery (to cover for the Druid's poor long-range damage dealing) a couple of nice 1st-level archery spells that you can pump up to high level spell slots, some amazing outdoor survival and movement skills that synergize nicely with Druid theme, and another skill (stealth!).

You do lose 2 levels of Druid spell progression, but only take a 1-level hit on your Spell Slot progression.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 10:09 AM
Yes, I did roll very high and yes he is a Wood Elf, should of mentioned that but was very tired when I posted this.

As for what people have been saying, I have been looking into going with Land Druid, as Moon druid seem to be for those with lower physical stats, and I like the idea of spellcasting more then wild shape since wild shape tends to lead to a lot of book opening to look at animal stats.

For equipment I currently have a Scimitar, Leather Armor and a Shield, since it seemed redundant to grab a quaterstaff or club for the cantrip. I do have access to EE and the SCAG

As for background...this is where I am a bit..picky. Normally, most seem to go Hermit or Outlander for the flavor of the druid, but I want something more Unique...something that could be interesting to mix with druid.

As for the Min Maxing, 5e seems to try and quiet it more, as progression in both classes and magic items seems a lot more welcoming then 3.5, which was a grind for powerful magic items and prestige classes

tieren
2017-07-26, 10:29 AM
I had a cool MC druid/ranger/rogue who was primarily an archer/summoner. Would use conjure animals and sit back shooting arrows, putting minions in melee with targets to get sneak attack condition met. It was a lot of fun, but I had a very patient DM willing to deal with all the minion-mancy which can get to be a pain.

But boy did I enjoy it, wildshape into a squirrel, climb a tree near the enemy camp, summon a group of boars(relentless) and plink away during the havok.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 12:53 PM
Rogue was one of the classes I was thinking of multiclassing into for some of the goodies in there, but only for about 2 levels worth

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 03:08 PM
Would a Faction Agent of the Emerald Enclave work well with a Druid?

Beelzebubba
2017-07-26, 03:44 PM
As for background...this is where I am a bit..picky. Normally, most seem to go Hermit or Outlander for the flavor of the druid, but I want something more Unique...something that could be interesting to mix with druid.

Folk Hero could be fun, you're like Robin Hood but magical.

Or an Acolyte drop-out because the Old Faith made more sense.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-26, 03:53 PM
Criminal Variant Spy: Circles are in some respects Organizations that protect the balance, makes sense they use Spies. Being able to Wildshape is Awesome, Deception Proficiency helps you pretend to act like a dumb animal convincingly. Your Dex (which is wonderful for druids) makes you decent with your thieves tools.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 05:04 PM
And stealth synergies with wood elf well, more so with small wild shapes

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 05:08 PM
Criminal Variant Spy: Circles are in some respects Organizations that protect the balance, makes sense they use Spies. Being able to Wildshape is Awesome, Deception Proficiency helps you pretend to act like a dumb animal convincingly. Your Dex (which is wonderful for druids) makes you decent with your thieves tools.

You know, this does make a lot of sense...plus the special ability could be modified so that I have a network of rangers, fey and other druids to help

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-26, 07:02 PM
Though that does open a new question. What skills should a Druid with my stats focus on?

Quoxis
2017-07-27, 10:54 AM
Though that does open a new question. What skills should a Druid with my stats focus on?

ALL the skills!

Kidding. It depends on playstyle:

- land druids make great spies/scouts with their wildshapes (as they usually won't use them in combat), so stealth and perception are ideal picks - you'll become a pseudo-rogue, sneaking ahead and checking for traps
- flavor: nature (which keys off of intelligence... It makes sense, but isn't optimized and will rarely come up), religion (knowledge about the "old faith"... Same as with nature, probably not worth it), survival (keys off of wisdom, so an ideal fit!) and animal handling (same)... But even here: perception. "What do your elf eyes see?" - "I see trees of green, red roses too, i see them bloom, and also there's a gang of orcs trying to ambush us about 50 feet ahead."
- mechanically for combat: acrobatics for weaseling out of grapples or (though it seems counterintuitive) athletics. Athletics because A) it's pretty dumb to be THE nature character and then being bad at climbing trees and swimming (though that's growing more and more unnecessary as your wildshapes will mitigate it) and B) because if **** happens and you end up slotless you can wildshape into a bear and grapple-shove enemies to still contribute to combat.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-27, 11:02 AM
Well I know I get Perception for free being an Elf, And if I go the spy route I will have Stealth and Deception, so that leaves my class skills. Handle Animal seems iffy given we are sorta stuck in the Underdark for long periods of time, and most creatures there are not exactly animals. Nature seems a bit meh now as most of the things it covers are common knowledge or overlap with Survival.

MintyNinja
2017-07-27, 01:19 PM
Out of the Abyss is a survival game, take Survival. Also, if you have Goodberry and Create/ Destroy Water, then you surpass about 30% of the challenge of the module. If I were the GM, I'd be a bit ticked that you have such the perfect fit for the module, so maybe you should open some roleplaying doors for your own GM. Maybe throw in an irrational hatred of Drow, seeing as you're a Wood Elf. Or a fear of tight spaces. Something new for your GM to work with if you're going to be removing certain challenges just by existing.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-27, 05:34 PM
That does make sense, my group never got to loot the larder for supplies so we are running on the trail rations we had in our starter kits

Chugger
2017-07-27, 07:08 PM
I just started a HuV druid spy (more of a scout but needed breaking and entering to spy on the competition's offices - to steal secrets etc.) - who came to realize the powerful guy he worked for was bad and corrupt and using him. So he went indy, went totally druid - and ... is kind of boring role-playing wise. I just have trouble seeing a druid as anything other than a tree-hugger hippy.

Now in reality the Romans thought the druids were horrific - engaged in brutal human sacrifices to appease pagan gods - yes the same Romans who did the glad. fight thing thought this. And a shifter into animal form - moon - I should be able to make that work - I'm confused with being a lycanthrope...except that's just silly. I dunno, I'll keep working on it. Gotta break this open and think waaaay outside the old box to solve this, I think. (I could be a hardcore ultra greenie pro-eco activiist type, except I think the party would murder me and not rez me - :smallbiggrin:)!

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-27, 07:18 PM
I can see my Druid being more towards life in general then just nature. " Oh the villagers cut down some trees? Well they needed them and did not upset the balance" instead of "kill them for chopping down the helpless oak!!!" Sorta the more neutral look on nature and life.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-27, 07:37 PM
A druid with that dexterity, and you got bored of your lawful character? And he's a wood elf, eh?

How about we build an Anti-Drizzt

Backstory: you decided your race's peaceful, secular ways don't work for you. Nature is all about growth, change, and conflict. That can't happen in secluded woodland villages that haven't changed in a thousand years. You broke their laws, and exiled yourself to avoid execution. While on the run, you sought out the underdark and began learning of its creatures and the drow. You spent some time among a particular band of drow known to operate outside of the major drow cities.

Background: Criminal

Alignment: chaotic neutral. You don't see pain and suffering as evil, but as a natural occurrence in the world. Combating them is pointless. Rather, the greatest good one can do is to encourage conflict, change, and growth in the world, as is the way of nature.

Circle: Underdark. In addition to flavor, the spells are quite good. Spider Climb, Web, Gaseous Form, Stinking Cloud, Greater Invisibility, and Cloudkill, all nice, and the cloud spells in particular are types of spells that druids don't often get.

ArrixGrimm
2017-07-27, 09:23 PM
A druid with that dexterity, and you got bored of your lawful character? And he's a wood elf, eh?

How about we build an Anti-Drizzt

Backstory: you decided your race's peaceful, secular ways don't work for you. Nature is all about growth, change, and conflict. That can't happen in secluded woodland villages that haven't changed in a thousand years. You broke their laws, and exiled yourself to avoid execution. While on the run, you sought out the underdark and began learning of its creatures and the drow. You spent some time among a particular band of drow known to operate outside of the major drow cities.

Background: Criminal

Alignment: chaotic neutral. You don't see pain and suffering as evil, but as a natural occurrence in the world. Combating them is pointless. Rather, the greatest good one can do is to encourage conflict, change, and growth in the world, as is the way of nature.

Circle: Underdark. In addition to flavor, the spells are quite good. Spider Climb, Web, Gaseous Form, Stinking Cloud, Greater Invisibility, and Cloudkill, all nice, and the cloud spells in particular are types of spells that druids don't often get.

Wow..that is one idea for sure I did not think of. I did think if having my character interact with druids outside his own race, mostly with Dwarves and Drow, races people forget have Druids