PDA

View Full Version : Strangely effective/cool multi-classes? (Weird combinations ect...)

Prince_Vorrel
2017-07-26, 12:17 AM
I know everyone talks about your powerful sorcadin or how insane the healing a 1 life cleric/6 Lore bard

but what are some of your stanger yet effective combinations? No UA...just official books like SCAGS.

Kane0
2017-07-26, 12:49 AM
A cleric dip can do some real wonders on a martial with Con save proficiency. You can provide your own bless and guidance which is great all the time, plus channel and other perks like better armor proficiencies and the like depending on domain. You can also emergency heal the healer if they go down and use a much larger selection of magic items that your party may happen across.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-26, 01:08 AM
I know everyone talks about your powerful sorcadin or how insane the healing a 1 life cleric/6 Lore bard

but what are some of your stranger yet effective combinations? No UA...just official books like SCAGS.

I always like the Sunsoul Monk/Moon Druid. Besides the obvious flavorful dichotomy between sun and moon, you also can be a SHARK WITH FREAKIN LAZER BEAMS! Or anything with lazerbeams.

Don't think its effective? Imagine the most viscous animals a moon druid can become. Now Add LAZORS . Now i ask you good sir. "Does a bear with lazors crap in the woods ?"

Other cool builds would be Shadow Monk/Moon Druid. Become shadow beasties.

Monk/Paladin/barbarian. If you can get the stats and the levels. You Slap fools with some seriouus Raging Smite, so hard it stuns them. take away one of the classes and its another build

Necromancer/Life Cleric. Now i know that your thinking. Why? well because in this edition, something awesome happened. No longer are undead damaged by healing magic. That's right you can healing word and other goodies your undead minions. Tack on different classes that can summon undead for similar effects. Sigh... i regret to inform you this is no longer viable....as all healing spells do not affect undead or constructs... :(

I'm sure theres some other builds people have thought of that are off the wall.

The Ship's dog
2017-07-26, 01:10 AM
Battlemaster Fighter 16/War Cleric 2/Diviner Wizard 2.

Pick up Magic Initiate (Warlock) for Hex.

With this, you become an 'enabler' by making sure that your team-mates hit their attacks when it counts with Guided Strike, make good use of Portent to help your allies avoid attacks, grant them extra attacks and utility with the Battlemaster Maneuvres, and finally Hex someone so that your front-liner's Grapple/Shove attempts are almost certainly going to succeed.

It's a lot of resource management, but it is really fun and you feel like you are doing a tonne to help your team out.

Kane0
2017-07-26, 01:31 AM
Maybe not strange, but also not common:
Shadow Monk / Warlock / Rogue
They obviously fit together really well but its rare to see someone spread out their build to include all three. It's incredibly enjoyable if played to its strengths (which is rarely direct combat).

Wolf Totem Barbarian / Battlemaster Fighter / Mastermind Rogue is a fantastic Warlord-esque character, especially with the inspiring leader feat (Though it is utterly MAD)

Edit: Oh! Eldritch Knight / Warlock / Rogue. Eldritch Blast + bonsu action Sneak attack longbow shot. Very MAD, super fun.

Finger6842
2017-07-26, 01:35 AM
Lore Bard 18/Priest 1/Wizard 1
Priest provided armor and shield for survivability, healing and bless etc. Wizard provided familiar for advantage, shield for defense and blasting cantrips for a much needed DPR increase. Ritual caster also freed up a couple Bard slots. Magical secrets got me great spells like haste, counterspell, banishing smite, Finger of death, wish and meteor.

Between find familiar, awaken, true polymorph, finger of death, and find steed there was a ton going on all the time. Lore Bards have poor DPR but the aspects of the game other than combat were always interesting. Sneaking was horrible even with invisibility, don't get caught away from the party alone. In hindsight a Paladin Aura may have been more useful than other spells had I picked it up.

This was a MAD build though. The party had a headband of intellect drop and the wizard didn't need it or I wouldn't have met the minimum INT. Oddly the INT increase was far more useful for saves and skills than spells because we had a priest in the party so healing for me was an emergency function.

Sans.
2017-07-26, 11:14 AM
Barbarian/Rogue: Yell "SNEAK ATTACK!!!' literally every turn, then do it.
Warlock/Barbarian: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can't cast spells in Rage. You don't need to. With Fiend THP, Armour of Agathys for damage to stuff hitting you while you have the Fiend THP, Rage for resistance to damage so the THP sticks around longer, Sentinel to make sure you can kill more stuff for more Fiend THP, maybe a Fire Shield just for additional trolls... so much fun.
Sorcerer/Warlock: They never wanted their spells to be empowered by hellfire. But now they're having too much fun throwing out 8 Agonising Repelling Blasts every turn to care.

Maxilian
2017-07-26, 12:00 PM
*Shifter Longtooth Ranger (BM) 8 / Wizard 4 (Artificer) / Rogue 3 (Thief)

A great Grappler with a lot of utility.

*Vuman Monk Sun Soul 5 / Druid Moon 8

Flying Snake that shoots lazers. (great and fun)

*Vuman Fighter EK 8 / Cleric Trickster 4

Use Shillelagh and Thorn Whip (use the Thorn Whip to pull people around through you or your trickster illusion), combine with Staff of the Spider, and its extremely fun (also your WIS is extremely high and combined with Observant, you get a great passive perception)

*Vuman Fighter EK 8 / Warlock Hexblade 3 / Mystic 5

Got to use faithful archer with a thrown weapon, use your bonus action to attack once again, and use your action for EB, all CHA based, can combine with darkness invocation to use everytime you want.

*Ranger BM 5 / Mystic 2

Anything can be your mount (as you are now tiny), even better if you use lances just because its funny that you do 1d12 per hit when you are so small.

Christian
2017-07-26, 12:03 PM
Necromancer/Life Cleric. Now i know that your thinking. Why? well because in this edition, something awesome happened. No longer are undead damaged by healing magic. That's right you can healing word and other goodies your undead minions. Tack on different classes that can summon undead for similar effects.

Actually, what I was thinking was that Healing Word and most other healing spells of that kind do not affect undead or constructs.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-26, 12:19 PM
Actually, what I was thinking was that Healing Word and most other healing spells of that kind do not affect undead or constructs.

Please tell me you're wrong...(looks it up)

Well........time to delete some builds....i knew it was too good to be true

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-26, 12:24 PM
I've always thought that some sort of mix of Barbarian and Ranger would make a good mix, but you rarely see that combo on the forums. Horde Breaker gives you an extra attack against an adjacent enemy without using up your bonus action, which could pair nicely with the extra damage from rage. And while Beast Masters suffer from multiclassing, going Wolf Totem Barb would give them advantage pretty much all the time.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-26, 12:28 PM
Lore bard with a level of life cleric for maxed aura of vitality + vicious mockery every round in full plate with a shield, along with all the utility your party will ever need.

Fighter 1 / Blade Warlock to pact weapon a polearm, use polearm mastery, and wear plate.

Fighter 5 / rogue to create a rogue with a shield, two attacks, and shield master + expertise athletics for near-guaranteed sneak attack every round.

Sorcerer / Paladin 6 to smite with your superior number of spell slots, cast sorcerer spells, bonus action cast spells after smiting a foe twice, and provide the party with +5 to all saving throws.

Rogue / Great Old One Warlock to be a professional creep.

MaxDPSsays
2017-07-26, 12:48 PM
Pretty sure the Headband of Intellect doesn't count towards the intelligence requirement for multi classing.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-26, 12:51 PM
I've always thought that some sort of mix of Barbarian and Ranger would make a good mix, but you rarely see that combo on the forums.

Wait until the new, non-lame Rangers hit in September. :smallsmile:

MaxWilson
2017-07-26, 01:05 PM

but what are some of your stanger yet effective combinations? No UA...just official books like SCAGS.

My two favorite counter-intuitive combinations in 5E are the gishy "Combat Medic" super-healer (Sorcerer 3/Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard 6+, optionally with Warlock levels for ranged offense) and the "Sith Lord" armored monk (Paladin of Devotion 6/Monk of Long Death 12/Warlock 2). In both cases there are some obvious anti-synergies, but even more hidden synergies that make the overall package actually pretty cool.

For example, the Sith Lord has an obvious anti-synergy in that heavy armor shuts down monk abilities like extra movement and martial arts, and a less obvious anti-synergy in that you're getting extra attack from two places but it doesn't stack. (But you don't even care, because you can just use Booming Blade or Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Blast for offense anyway.) However, wearing heavy armor also frees you from a lot of MADness (you can leave Wisdom and Dex at only 13ish while STILL having AC 21, better than the best monk), and you still get to use monk abilities like Stunning Strike and the at-will fear ability and Patient Defense, and of course Mastery of Death. You also pick up the Paladin's awesome 1st-2nd spell list (Bless, Find Steed, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith all recommended) and the warlock's 1st-level list (Hex, Expeditious Retreat, Armor of Agathys recommended). You don't get the monk's normal awesome saves at 14th level (Empty Body), but you do get awesome saves at 14th level anyway (because that's when you hit Paladin 6), and in some ways your awesome saves are better than the monk's regular awesome saves. Because you're not spending ASIs on boosting monk stats, you can afford to max Charisma for good offense and defense. You still get the monk's missile catch and falling damage negation and Evasion. It's a very strange and counterintuitive combination but it adds up to something really cool.

This whole Sith Lord concept just falls right out of asking yourself two questions: What's the best part of being a pure Death Monk? (Answer: at-will fear and Mastery of Death at 11th level, plus Empty Body saves.) What's the worst part of being a pure monk? (Stat pressure on ASIs, mediocre offense unless spending ki, not exploiting concentration or bonus action economies to full potential.) Then you optimize until you get as much fun stuff as possible as early as possible while still having a fun end-game.

Naanomi
2017-07-26, 01:30 PM
Fighter 1/Rogue X: I love a 'thug/black knight' in full plate

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Sorcerer +3/Fighter 2/Assassin 3/Warlock +1/Sorcerer +6 (access to UA changes that a little): I had a blast as a nova-capable 'eldritch sniper'

Rogue 11/Monk 6/Warlock 3: ninja with a bit of the dark arts; great exploiter of darkness

Shepard Druid 6/Conjurer 14: uber-summoned wolf pack!

Byke
2017-07-26, 01:43 PM
Favorite Mystical Archer....

EK 7 (Warmagic) / Walock 2 / 11 Rogue. 5 ranges attacks per round + sneak dam :)

Christian
2017-07-26, 01:48 PM
Pretty sure the Headband of Intellect doesn't count towards the intelligence requirement for multi classing.

RAI according to this Sage Advice (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/07/multiclass-temporary-stat-prerequisite/) response. But it didn't make the errata, as far as I can see, so it's ultimately a DM ruling. If Finger6842's DM allowed it at her table, then it's legal there.

(Most DM's probably wouldn't allow it. Sage Advice aside, the rulings they could be called on to make regarding this trick quickly multiply unless the answer to the base question is "No." Eg. can you pass the headband around the party so everyone can get a level of wizard? Obviously, they need to be attuned to it when they level up to get the benefit, but attunement only takes a short rest ...)

Finger6842
2017-07-26, 04:41 PM
RAI according to this Sage Advice (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/07/multiclass-temporary-stat-prerequisite/) response. But it didn't make the errata, as far as I can see, so it's ultimately a DM ruling. If Finger6842's DM allowed it at her table, then it's legal there.

(Most DM's probably wouldn't allow it. Sage Advice aside, the rulings they could be called on to make regarding this trick quickly multiply unless the answer to the base question is "No." Eg. can you pass the headband around the party so everyone can get a level of wizard? Obviously, they need to be attuned to it when they level up to get the benefit, but attunement only takes a short rest ...)

A normal concern yet PHB p163 says "To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one as shown in the Multiclass Prerequisites table." It doesn't say I need to meet the requirements without modifiers. With no other limitations in any of the other paragraphs my DM didn't balk at it even a little. He was clear though that if I take it off I lose access to (some or all) of those abilities, so no passing it around. There is the danger that I could lose it and thus essentially lose a level or only be able to prepare the 1 spell minimum. I don't really see any roadblocks or exploits under those conditions. Exploits are always a valid concern. Gauntlets of Ogre Power would similarly have allowed MC into Barbarian but not Paladin as my Wisdom would still be too low.

ImproperJustice
2017-07-26, 10:10 PM
UA Revised Ranger 6 / Cleric 14

Good Ranged offense supported by divine strikes and spell casting.

Battlemaster / Rogue w/ magic initiate and skilled to create a good "all rounder".

My Personal fave, although not tested:
Paladin 6 / Monk 14

Super saves, and you can channel divinity or cast Divine Favor to become The Immortal Sacred Fist :)
Use dueling and only punch people with your glowing fist.

Fighter 2 / Abjurer Wizard 18

Action surge wizard Shenanigans in full plate with magic wards.

rudy
2017-07-26, 10:19 PM
I've been having an absolute blast with a Warlock 5 / Bard 9 (built up from level 3). It may be "inefficient" in many ways, but I *never* run out of useful things to do, given the split between long and short rest spells. And I also have tons of spell picks, getting, for example, counterspell from Warlock without needing to spend my magical secrets slots on it.

My short rest slots are 3rd, which gets the mentioned counterspell & hypnotic pattern & other great spells you want to use a bunch.

Elminster298
2017-07-27, 12:07 AM
I played an "Iron Man" build up to level 15 and had a blast!(ba- dum- tiss!) Eldritch Knight 7/Fey Bladelock 8 with warcaster and crossbow expert(no disadvantage on EB while in melee). Pretty much everything I refluffed to appear as Iron Man. Armor still took as long to don but did it by itself all cool like. Flight and levitation were "sustained Eldritch blasts" for cool hand/foot jets. Devil's Sight and witchsight were basically Jarvis feeding me info about my surroundings. Visions of distant realms was small mechanical drones that came out of the armor. Fey patron misty step was a form of portal tech. Etc., etc., etc.

D&D stat- wise it worked out surprisingly well. Heavy armor means dump dex. Self buff/utility wizard spells means dump int(though if you plan on RPing Tony Stark I would not recommend this). Max cha. As many into con and str as possible. War magic+crossbow expert+warcaster for weapon attack+repelling blast in melee range and Eldritch blast opportunity attacks. Short rest Warlock spells for even more cool options. Near the end of the campaign I had my "+2 Rod of the Pact Keeper" tied to my Pact of the Blade and two "javelin of lightning" tied to my Weapon Bond. +2 Adamantine armor of fire resistance was just my very first set of full plate(acquired at lvl 3) that I had used blacksmithing+tinkering to upgrade little by little every lvl. Spellguard Shield, Ring of spell storing, Daern's instant fortress, cloak of the manta ray, helm of comprehend languages+circlet of blasting, and periapt of proof against poison round out the other magic items either found or made(over time) by the character.

EDIT: I never could convince the DM to allow me to add a permanent "magic mouth" to the armor so I could play cool rock songs while I kick bad guy ass... *le sigh*

Finger6842
2017-07-27, 12:07 AM
I've been having an absolute blast with a Warlock 5 / Bard 9 (built up from level 3). It may be "inefficient" in many ways, but I *never* run out of useful things to do, given the split between long and short rest spells. And I also have tons of spell picks, getting, for example, counterspell from Warlock without needing to spend my magical knowledge slots on it.

My short rest slots are 3rd, which gets the mentioned counterspell & hypnotic pattern & other great spells you want to use a bunch.

I wanted to try this so bad but in the end couldn't give up level 18 magical secrets. May you continue to have a blast.

ImproperJustice
2017-07-27, 07:16 AM
I played an "Iron Man" build up to level 15 and had a blast!(ba- dum- tiss!) Eldritch Knight 7/Fey Bladelock 8 with warcaster and crossbow expert(no disadvantage on EB while in melee). Pretty much everything I refluffed to appear as Iron Man. Armor still took as long to don but did it by itself all cool like. Flight and levitation were "sustained Eldritch blasts" for cool hand/foot jets. Devil's Sight and witchsight were basically Jarvis feeding me info about my surroundings. Visions of distant realms was small mechanical drones that came out of the armor. Fey patron misty step was a form of portal tech. Etc., etc., etc.

D&D stat- wise it worked out surprisingly well. Heavy armor means dump dex. Self buff/utility wizard spells means dump int(though if you plan on RPing Tony Stark I would not recommend this). Max cha. As many into con and str as possible. War magic+crossbow expert+warcaster for weapon attack+repelling blast in melee range and Eldritch blast opportunity attacks. Short rest Warlock spells for even more cool options. Near the end of the campaign I had my "+2 Rod of the Pact Keeper" tied to my Pact of the Blade and two "javelin of lightning" tied to my Weapon Bond. +2 Adamantine armor of fire resistance was just my very first set of full plate(acquired at lvl 3) that I had used blacksmithing+tinkering to upgrade little by little every lvl. Spellguard Shield, Ring of spell storing, Daern's instant fortress, cloak of the manta ray, helm of comprehend languages+circlet of blasting, and periapt of proof against poison round out the other magic items either found or made(over time) by the character.

EDIT: I never could convince the DM to allow me to add a permanent "magic mouth" to the armor so I could play cool rock songs while I kick bad guy ass... *le sigh*

Thematic Builds like that are so cool IMHO.

A while back, my friends and I made a Dwarven Fire Gensei that was a Barbarian Phoenix Sorceror patterned after "Anger" from inside out.

McNinja
2017-07-27, 07:37 AM
This is a multiclass I'm working towards with a current character of mine. With the protector aasimar race. Took fighter at first level for the con save, but other than that there's no real order.

3 Battlemaster Fighter, Archery style (Riposte, Precision, Trip maneuvers)
3 Lore Bard
- Cantrips - minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Vicious Mockery
- 1st level - Bane, Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
- 2nd level - Suggestion, Silence, Phantasmal Force
1 Rogue
2 Monk
3 Life Cleric
- Cantrips - Guidance, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
- 1st level - (bless, cure wounds), guiding bolt, inflict wounds
- 2nd level - (lesser restoration, spiritual weapon), aid, prayer of healing
5 Hexblade Warlock Pact of the Blade (Agonizing Blast, Eldritch blade, 2nd attack invocation I forgot the name)
- Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Booming blade
- 1st level - Armor of Agathys, Hex
- 2nd level - Mirror Image, Hold Person
3 Hunter Revised Ranger, Defense Style, Colossus Slayer
- 1st level - Absorb Elements, Hunter's Mark, and something else.

Spiritchaser
2017-07-27, 08:47 AM
Paladin 6 / Monk 14

I've always wanted to try that, but I've never had the rolls to do it well

Statistically speaking, I likely never will

rudy
2017-07-27, 08:54 AM
UA Revised Ranger 6 / Cleric 14

Good Ranged offense supported by divine strikes and spell casting.

Battlemaster / Rogue w/ magic initiate and skilled to create a good "all rounder".

Paladin 6 / Monk 14

Super saves, and you can channel divinity or cast Divine Favor to become The Immortal Sacred Fist :)
Use dueling and only punch people with your glowing fist.

Fighter 2 / Abjurer Wizard 18

Action surge wizard Shenanigans in full plate with magic wards.
A lot of these sound amazing at level 20, but **** to get there. Paladin 6 / Monk 14 in particular. How would you advance that? I've never once actually played at level 20, in spite of playing in literally dozens of games, so the actual play experience of progressing is more interesting to me.

Specter
2017-07-27, 10:59 AM
Paladin 6/Monk 14. Proficiency AND Charisma on all saves is massive.

Maxilian
2017-07-27, 11:03 AM
Favorite Mystical Archer....

EK 7 (Warmagic) / Walock 2 / 11 Rogue. 5 ranges attacks per round + sneak dam :)

You only have one attack to trigger SA.

As far as i know you cannot trigger SA with EB.

Maxilian
2017-07-27, 11:07 AM
5 Hexblade Warlock Pact of the Blade (Agonizing Blast, Eldritch blade, 2nd attack invocation I forgot the name)

Pretty sure the invocation require lvl 9 in that CLASS (so lvl 9 Warlock)

rudy
2017-07-27, 11:08 AM
Paladin 6/Monk 14. Proficiency AND Charisma on all saves is massive.
Again, *at* level 20. How do you plan to get there? Is this build viable as anything other than mental mastur... er, mental gymnastics?

Pex
2017-07-27, 11:20 AM
Totem Barbarian/Moon Druid - Be a rabid animal. Bear totem for the greater damage resistance. Moon Druid for the better animals and use spell slots you're not casting anyway to heal the half-damage you're taking.

Quoxis
2017-07-27, 11:24 AM
- barbarian monk: focus on strength, dip barb for 2-4 levels to taste. You now attack 3 or more times a turn, wrecking stuff with your bare fists (which are magical weapons with high destruction power), doing extra rage damage while being proficient in all saves and having resistence to piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, and did i already mention getting advantage on all the attacks with reckless attack? Combine with the mobile feat for free disengage from attacked foes and you're a highly mobile melee damage dealer

- monk paladin: has already been mentioned, but you can also smite 3-4 times a turn

- barbarian paladin: reckless smite. Strike with advantage, possibly getting a crit (bonus points for champion fighter mc), smite crits too. As you can't cast magic while raging just invest every single slot in smites. Also points for being able to go unarmored as a paladin - "My god shall ward me as i smite evildoers!"

- monk ranger: three words. Hunter's mark flurry. Figure it out.

- barbarian cleric: you dip cleric for the low-level features and utility spells. You can get nifty stuff like giving disadvantage on attacks against you (cancelling out the advantage they get from your reckless attack), dealing thunder/lightning damage against people who dare hit you, stuff like that. Bonus points for roleplaying the zealous fanatic who purges nonbelievers.

Matrix_Walker
2017-07-27, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure the invocation require lvl 9 in that CLASS (so lvl 9 Warlock)

Nope. Thirsting Blade requires only Warlock 5

Quoxis
2017-07-27, 11:29 AM
Again, *at* level 20. How do you plan to get there? Is this build viable as anything other than mental mastur... er, mental gymnastics?

If you tried to do mental gymasturnastics, you'd see that (aside from it being mad as hell) a monk's many attacks per round do well with the pally's smiting. You have to go low cha and focus on Dex to make it work, i dare say it'll only work if you roll godly stats, but then just start monk 1 for martial arts, go up to pally 5 or 6 and the rest monk. Not really rocket science.

Maxilian
2017-07-27, 11:31 AM
Nope. Thirsting Blade requires only Warlock 5

True, my bad, missread it

Spiritchaser
2017-07-27, 11:42 AM
If you tried to do mental gymasturnastics, you'd see that (aside from it being mad as hell) a monk's many attacks per round do well with the pally's smiting. You have to go low cha and focus on Dex to make it work, i dare say it'll only work if you roll godly stats, but then just start monk 1 for martial arts, go up to pally 5 or 6 and the rest monk. Not really rocket science.

I can see the argument for this, but myself, I'd rather just take pally to 6 then monk. I like wis/cha better than dex/str, and it's a long way to 20 when you get them all.

Edit: unless I was going Yuan Ti, in which case I'd start monk as you've suggested.

This character screams out to have both stealth and perception, and for some races that would mean starting monk

Very hypothetical. This would need rolled stats or a non-standard array to be really good...

But the idea of a level 20 Yuan Ti monkadin IS hilarious enough that I'd try it if we ever did a heroic one-shot.

rudy
2017-07-27, 11:53 AM
You're right about the godly stats, since at minimum you'd need 13 Cha, 13 Dex, 13 Wis, 13 Str to multiclass at all. Your only dump stat can be Intelligence. And if you go "low cha", in this case meaning 13, you lose the whole point of having the aura with +CHA to saves. So, why are you going to Paladin 6 in that case?

As for the monks many attacks per round, I *guess* that works... once per day. If you're measuring this against a single fight in a day, then it's fine, but the paladin doesn't have that many spells.

You can leave Str 13, Int low, but you need decent scores in the rest to make this work at all, let alone well.

Finger6842
2017-07-27, 11:57 AM
This is a multiclass I'm working towards with a current character of mine. With the protector aasimar race. Took fighter at first level for the con save, but other than that there's no real order.

3 Battlemaster Fighter, Archery style (Riposte, Precision, Trip maneuvers)
3 Lore Bard
- Cantrips - minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Vicious Mockery
- 1st level - Bane, Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
- 2nd level - Suggestion, Silence, Phantasmal Force
1 Rogue
2 Monk
3 Life Cleric
- Cantrips - Guidance, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
- 1st level - (bless, cure wounds), guiding bolt, inflict wounds
- 2nd level - (lesser restoration, spiritual weapon), aid, prayer of healing
- Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Booming blade
- 1st level - Armor of Agathys, Hex
- 2nd level - Mirror Image, Hold Person
3 Hunter Revised Ranger, Defense Style, Colossus Slayer
- 1st level - Absorb Elements, Hunter's Mark, and something else.

This looks really interesting. How do you see it playing out? You're level 20 so lets say you face a beholder, what actions will you take?

Spiritchaser
2017-07-27, 12:05 PM
This came up in a thread a fair while ago: what would you do with straight 18s

More than a few picked pally 6 monk 14.

I don't think the build works with any standard array/standard point buy.

Quoxis
2017-07-27, 02:47 PM
You're right about the godly stats, since at minimum you'd need 13 Cha, 13 Dex, 13 Wis, 13 Str to multiclass at all. Your only dump stat can be Intelligence. And if you go "low cha", in this case meaning 13, you lose the whole point of having the aura with +CHA to saves. So, why are you going to Paladin 6 in that case?

As for the monks many attacks per round, I *guess* that works... once per day. If you're measuring this against a single fight in a day, then it's fine, but the paladin doesn't have that many spells.

You can leave Str 13, Int low, but you need decent scores in the rest to make this work at all, let alone well.

Well, there's a reason nobody ever played this combination. Afaik nobody said it was optimized either, but it does work (also you'd get a +1 to all saves with the minimum requirement and with half an ASI you get +2, that's gotta count for something, right?)

Oramac
2017-07-27, 03:10 PM
As per usual, I'm going to throw out the Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank).

Tempest Cleric 2 (or 6) / Storm Sorc 18 (or 14)

It is an absolute blast to play (pun intended), and works great as a blaster/controller with some Cleric goodies to back it up.

MaxWilson
2017-07-27, 03:18 PM
Again, *at* level 20. How do you plan to get there? Is this build viable as anything other than mental... gymnastics?

Paladin 1, Monk of Long Death 1-6, Warlock 1-2, Paladin of Devotion 2-6, Monk of Long Death 7-12 works just fine. You get heavy armor right off the bat, and your Extra Attack and at-will fear comes online only one level later than usual. Because you're investing in Cha and feats instead of Dex and Wis, your fear and melee attacks are somewhat weak at low levels, but because you're wearing heavy armor, your extra defense is strong. (You have AC 20 whereas normal monks have AC in the 17-18 range at that point.) So, levels 1-7 are your weakest point, but they're also just fine. By level 9 you are a heavily-armored tank with excellent defense AND offense (Agonizing Repelling Hexed Eldritch Blast and free temp HP from monk; if you wanted to cheese it up with UA content you'd probably pick Hexblade to be even more SAD and gain even more damage + free healing). By level 14, which is where a normal monk gets Empty Body, you're getting excellent Paladin spells like Sanctuary, Bless, and Shield of Faith; you're also getting Aura of Protection: saving throw awesomeness in a slightly different way. (Better Wisdom/Charisma saves, comparable saves for other attributes; no re-rolls with ki, but in exchange you get to protect other people. Can use Lucky feat with some of your free ASIs if you still want the re-roll thing--a normal monk would have trouble affording Lucky.) And of course by level 19 you get the Monk of Long Death virtual "capstone": you cannot be involuntarily reduced to 0 HP as long as you still have ki remaining.

A Paladin 6/Monk 14 doesn't have it quite as easy as the above because you miss out on the warlock synergy, but it still works perfectly well as an armored melee monk with a handful of spells/smites.

Hmmm. Here's a fairly typical array (my first roll on BrockJones.com): 9, 17, 12, 14, 9, 15. That could be a Str (12) 13, Dex 14, Con (9) 10, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 17 Paladin with the Inspiring Leader feat. (+4 temp HP per short rest to everyone in the party more than makes up for having only Con 10 at first level; later on he can mitigate with spells or eventually the Monk of Long Death virtual capstone.) A Paladin of Devotion 6/Warlock 2/Monk of Long Death 12 gets ASIs at level 5, 12, 16, and 20. You have already got Dex 14 and can fight with a rapier, so no need to boost that further; you could spend your ASIs on Defensive Duelist [level 5], Cha +1/Wis +1 [level 12], Cha +2 [level 16], and Lucky [level 20]. Or if you're planning on being more mobile, take Spell Sniper instead of Defensive Duelist.

It's still pretty MAD, but for something that was literally just the first set of stat rolls I pulled out of my hat, it works pretty well and would be more than playable. If you have _good_ rolls it would only be so much the better.

rudy
2017-07-27, 03:53 PM
Well, there's a reason nobody ever played this combination. Afaik nobody said it was optimized either, but it does work (also you'd get a +1 to all saves with the minimum requirement and with half an ASI you get +2, that's gotta count for something, right?)

My point is, that *literally at level 20*, you'd have your holy grail of proficiency in all saves and +CHA to saves. And this is only worth something if you actually have a decent charisma score. You know, in addition to your high dex & wisdom scores.

But let's assume you have great scores. Not insane 18s across the board, but really good, enough to have a high dex/wis, and a decent (14-16) con and cha, the 13 strength you'll need, and the lowest in intelligence.

It's still a terrible plan for a build until you hit level 20. How long do you plan to play at level 20, exactly? How often have you *actually played* 20th level characters (and I address this question to the larger audience)? And what is your level 20 accomplishment? You make all your saving throws? Great, so the bad guy just kills your friends then pummels you to death. You are unimpressive offensively, which is critical.

Yes, so you can nova a bunch of smites in one round, burning through literally all your spells in two rounds (yes, a Paladin 6 has six spells in total, let's not forget). Good job, now wait until tomorrow. You can add 4 1st level smites and 2 2nd level smites quickly as high level character. *2nd level smites* are your peak damage source as a 20th level character.

This is not "strangely effective" at all; it's a niche case that fascinates people who want to be invulnerable from a saving throw point of view, and it doesn't even do that until 20th level. There's something to be said for it if you are trying to build the most *survivable* character, but that's it.

Finger6842
2017-07-27, 05:48 PM
This came up in a thread a fair while ago: what would you do with straight 18s

More than a few picked pally 6 monk 14.

I don't think the build works with any standard array/standard point buy.

sounds like an interesting read but I can't find it. do you have a link?

Kanagawa Wave
2017-07-27, 05:50 PM
IMO, starting with a single level in cleric and going pure wizard after is a very worthwhile option. This grants weapon & armor proficiencies, possibly a useful domain power, and, most importantly, access to 1st level cleric spells that can be upcast if necessary. Keep a shield in one hand, then sling spells with the other while maintaining a great AC.

Kane0
2017-07-27, 05:56 PM
Assuming good stat rolls a Dwarf Warlock 5 / Abjurer 15 would be an annoying nut to crack.
Good AC, temp HP to throw around and short rest slots to fill it up (especially counterspells), rituals for bonus utility and the ever reliable eldritch blast on top of 8th level spell slots and arcane recovery. Shame the beta swapped warlocks from int to cha, but in theory you could convince your DM to reverse that...

The same could be done with evoker for short rest safe fireball spam if you're more blast inclined, or even change the warlock to sorcerer to metamagic it up.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-27, 11:14 PM
Batmaster3/LockX and maybe Rogue5, with Sentinel:
Pop armor of Agathys.

Hit me: AoA damage, Reaction Parry or Uncanny Dodge for reduction
Miss me: Riposte
Attack my friends: Sentinel
Run Away: Booming Blade or Sentinel
All they can really do is stand there...
----

HunteRanger3, BatmasterX, AssassinRogueX
Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter(?)
On a surprise round, you lay down a hail of bolts. As many as 13, all with AutoCrit and +10 damage.
----

Shadow Monk, Tome Lock
The name of the game is teleportation. Use Find Familiar to get a familiar, and throw Darkness on him. You can now be anywhere inside your moving sphere of shadow. Use Vine Whip or Lightning Lure to grab people from outside and drag them screaming into the darkness, where you hit them with your weapons and flurry of blows.
When I played this character, he was a Far Wanderer named Kabu Kai. He was a tattooed monk, and his tattoos were all in black and grey, depicting a seahawk fighting against a kraken. When he needed use of his familiar, the tattoo would come to life and the hawk would fly off his back. In battle, an inky darkness would spread around him, and those with quick eyes could see that squid-like tentacles would snap out from the darkness and drag unwitting foes inside. What happened to them once they vanished into the dark, none could say (I used the Vampire race from 'Planeshift: Zendikar')

JeffreyGator
2017-07-27, 11:59 PM
Lore Bard 18/Priest 1/Wizard 1
Priest provided armor and shield for survivability, healing and bless etc. Wizard provided familiar for advantage, shield for defense and blasting cantrips for a much needed DPR increase. Ritual caster also freed up a couple Bard slots. Magical secrets got me great spells like haste, counterspell, banishing smite, Finger of death, wish and meteor.

Between find familiar, awaken, true polymorph, finger of death, and find steed there was a ton going on all the time. Lore Bards have poor DPR but the aspects of the game other than combat were always interesting. Sneaking was horrible even with invisibility, don't get caught away from the party alone. In hindsight a Paladin Aura may have been more useful than other spells had I picked it up.

This was a MAD build though. The party had a headband of intellect drop and the wizard didn't need it or I wouldn't have met the minimum INT. Oddly the INT increase was far more useful for saves and skills than spells because we had a priest in the party so healing for me was an emergency function.

simplifying the MADness, you can swap in FVS sorc for the cleric and take more effective attack cantrips (GFB, BB, FireBolt and guidance) shield +bless + cure wounds.

You still then can take utility from level 1 book rituals and a level of wizard with only 13 int.

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 12:31 AM
simplifying the MADness, you can swap in FVS sorc for the cleric and take more effective attack cantrips (GFB, BB, FireBolt and guidance) shield +bless + cure wounds.

You still then can take utility from level 1 book rituals and a level of wizard with only 13 int.

A great option, i'll try it eventually, thanks.

Mochan
2017-07-28, 01:15 AM
Barbarogue Grappler Tank (Barb 1/Rogue X)
- Versatile Tank who shrugs off the deadliest blows (takes 1/4th damage from physical attack) thanks to Rage and Uncanny Dodge
- Super High AC with high CON and high DEX (Unarmored Defense + shield); Evasion or Shield Master also makes DEX save attacks like Dragon Breath harmless to you
- Good HP if you take Barb at level 1
- Good at Dex and Con saves thanks to Shield Master feat and Barb
- Take Arcane Trickster for shenanigans
- Grapple and Take someone down with Shield Master, Rage STR Advantage and Athletics Expertise
- then when they're down draw your dagger and Sneak Attack them to death while they're down
- even better if you have an Immovable Rod to lock them down so you can keep 'em down while you stab them over and over
- With Arcane Trickster you can take Booming Blade and if you can't grapple something or need to deal lots of damage, you just attack normally with Booming Blade, use Find Familiar from AT to always get Advantage and sneak attack, deal tons of damage on hit, Cunning Action away so they chase you and proc more Booming Blade damage.

Really fun build, very versatile both in combat and in out of combat shenanigans, tends to carry the party through tough situations because of toughness and unkillability, and holds down big boss opponents and renders them easy to kill. Really good for wrestling with Young Dragons, makes them harmless actually lol. If only I had an Enlarge spell so I could wrestle with Huge Dragons or Giants (you can get the Enlarge Spell at level 8 as your Arcane Trickster pick, but it's Concentration so you might lose it mid battle).

Super Skill Monkey
Half Elf or Variant Human Lore Bard 3/Warlock 2/Knowledge Cleric 1/Rogue 11

This combination will net you Proficiency in all 18 skills, Expertise in 8, and Reliable Talent so that ALL your skill checks are guaranteed to be at least 14, and in most cases much more than that. You can get expertise in the important skills (Stealth, Athletics, Perception, Persuasion) so that your minimum roll on these is 20 or so. You will almost never fail a skill check! Having Warlock 2 also means you have Agonizing Blast, so you are actually not half bad in combat at range, with Rogue Sneak Attack and Booming Blade options for close combat. The Rogue levels also make you pretty elusive and hard to kill.

The last 3 levels are up to you, you could go Fighter for Action Surge, Barb for Bear Totem Rage or Wolf Totem Advantage, or Sorc for Eldritch Blast Nova power, or just more Bard levels for Magical Secrets and more useful spells.

ImproperJustice
2017-07-28, 07:12 AM
I've always wanted to try that, but I've never had the rolls to do it well

Statistically speaking, I likely never will

From what I have seen, the only way to get there and still have decent stats is to use the standard Human with +1 to all stats.

Oramac
2017-07-28, 07:29 AM
IMO, starting with a single level in cleric and going pure wizard after is a very worthwhile option. This grants weapon & armor proficiencies, possibly a useful domain power, and, most importantly, access to 1st level cleric spells that can be upcast if necessary. Keep a shield in one hand, then sling spells with the other while maintaining a great AC.

Might I recommend Sorcerer instead? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank) :D

Though mixing Tempest cleric with Divination wizard would be pretty badass too.

Spiritchaser
2017-07-28, 08:36 AM
From what I have seen, the only way to get there and still have decent stats is to use the standard Human with +1 to all stats.

If you did a mid level start and were permitted a magic item at the beginning of the campaign (I've heard this is reasonably common), select amulet of health, dump con, then other races work too.

That, or again, non standard starting array.

Sans.
2017-07-28, 08:54 AM

Yeah, my all-time favourite build is Knowledge Cleric 1/Divination Wizard X. It just fits so well.

ImproperJustice
2017-07-28, 11:14 AM
If you did a mid level start and were permitted a magic item at the beginning of the campaign (I've heard this is reasonably common), select amulet of health, dump con, then other races work too.

That, or again, non standard starting array.

No. It really works fine using point buy. Had a Paladin / Monk at second level with a 16 dex, 14 Wis, requirements in all the other spots and no penalties.

Quoxis
2017-07-28, 01:47 PM
Fighter 1/warlock 1/abjuration wizard X

Wear heavy armor. Cast armor of agathys with your highest available slot. Have both temporary hit points in form of icy spikes AND the "abjurers ward" around you, maybe cast something like blur or mirror image too, and just wade into combat. IF your opponents can even hit you, they take massive damage and have to carve through ward and armor until they can scratch you.

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 01:52 PM
Fighter 1/warlock 1/abjuration wizard X

Wear heavy armor. Cast armor of agathys with your highest available slot. Have both temporary hit points in form of icy spikes AND the "abjurers ward" around you, maybe cast something like blur or mirror image too, and just wade into combat. IF your opponents can even hit you, they take massive damage and have to carve through ward and armor until they can scratch you.

If you cast Armor of Agathys and then cast Mirror Image, do your images have the Armor on them as well?

mephnick
2017-07-28, 02:06 PM
Fighter 1/warlock 1/abjuration wizard X.

I worry whether 15 STR (plate) + 13 CHA (warlock) + decent INT leaves much available for CON if you're wading into combat. Maybe you'll absorb enough damage to make it work.

Rolled stats it could be fun though.

rudy
2017-07-28, 02:09 PM
No. It really works fine using point buy. Had a Paladin / Monk at second level with a 16 dex, 14 Wis, requirements in all the other spots and no penalties.
Pretty sure that's not possible without being terrible. If you're saying it was not a standard human, the next best option for the stats you describe would be wood elf.

Str 13, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13 (27 point buy). Con 11 is not fine. Assuming you did the more reasonable path of dropping int to 8, you still have:

Str 13, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 13 as a 2nd level wood elf. That's *viable* for a second level character, but there are too many stats you're going to want to boost to make it good at Monk 14 / Paladin 6. That's 4 ASIs. Presuming you boost Con/Cha By 1 each, you're looking at:

Str 13, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 14 at level 20.

Spacehamster
2017-07-28, 02:33 PM
I have been thinking about a 5 Hunter ranger, 12 Arcane trickster rogue and 3 Eldritch knight,
gets level 4 spell slots, gets access to a broad choice of low level spells, expertise, sneak attack,
action surge, normal 5 ASI´s and is only needing DEX, CON and WIS(would choose no save/no attack spells
from eldritch knight and the trickster bypassing need for decent INT).

Would make for an well rounded fun to play toon in my opinion. :)

Kane0
2017-07-28, 05:12 PM
Once saw a guy plan out a fighter 4 / barbarian 4 / rogue 6 / ranger 6 with rolled stats (16,15,15,14,14,12)
Probably not the most efficient but it was certainly entertaining

Snowfalcon
2017-07-28, 09:06 PM
My current favorite and unique as far as I can tell is currently a Rogue 3 Warlock 4. It was an accidental build as I was just trying things and experimenting.

Arcane Trickster archetype for a couple spare low level slots for Hex and utility and useful expansion of cantrips. And Mage Hand Legerdemain. So use of Mage Hand falls into Bonus action.

Warlock is Great Old One. The one way telepathy is useful when scouting for reporting back. Took Tome for more cantrips. Invocations are Agonizing, Devils Sight, and the Tome one for Rituals.

Very versatile and deadly. Hex provides a nice addition to sneak attack.

And there is synergy.

Cast Darkness on a coin or dagger. Pocket or sheath it. Cast Mage Hand. In a fight the object can be moved with the Hand as Bonus action to accommodate personal protection, follow a boss to neutralize it, or as battlefield control in various ways. This is a refinement of the usual darkness tricks and the DM hates it, so I work to keep it interesting. (He almost banned it until I pointed out that for a trick that required 50% of my available spell power it should be pretty potent.)

The two 1st level slots help avoid my frustration with Warlock as it means I'm not burning a big slot on a utility spell or Hex.

With something like 8 cantrips and a couple of rituals he is a very useful Rogue who holds his own in melee or range and can do serious battlefield control, dividing and harassing enemies or plugging a flank solo.

ghost_warlock
2017-07-28, 09:18 PM
Warlock (hexblade, blade pact) 5/bard (lore) 6. Advancing either as Warlock 12/Bard 8 (for invocations) or Warlock 8/Bard 12 (for more casting and poached spells).

From warlock, you get to use Charisma for your attacks with a one-handed weapon, medium armor and shield proficiency, the spell slots that regenerate on a short rest, as well as the Thirsting Blade and Eldritch Smite invocations.

From bard, you get healing, a ton of out of combat utility with skills and class features, as well as the ability to poach the most fun and flavorful spells from other classes.

Play the character as if she were a paladin of trickery and chaos - unbound by the strictures of any oath. You don't have the great paladin auras, but you can poach the spells that give temporary auras if you want as you mind control your enemies and, when mind control isn't an option, use those spell slots to smite instead.

Klorox
2017-07-28, 10:22 PM
Fighter 2/Warlock 2/Bard -OR- Sorcerer X

The fighter levels are for action surge, the warlock levels are for eldritch blast, repelling blast, and agonizing blast.

Bard is the better counterspeller: JoaT adds to initiative and spell checks. Sorcerer is more of a blaster and has the cool recycle effect of turning warlock slots into sorcery points.

You want to maximize CHA and DEX for the bard (initiative is important for counterspells and stuff).

Wall of fire is cool, and you can force enemies into it with repelling blast.

Use action surge with repelling blast when an enemy is anywhere near the edge of a cliff or whatever.

Quoxis
2017-07-29, 06:59 AM
I worry whether 15 STR (plate) + 13 CHA (warlock) + decent INT leaves much available for CON if you're wading into combat. Maybe you'll absorb enough damage to make it work.

Rolled stats it could be fun though.

What do you need 15 str for? For 10 feet of movement speed. You might as well dump Str and get high Dex for saves.
Also: high AC. Plate+Shield+regularly used shield spell+blur/mirror image amounts to 25ac and disadvantage on attacks against you. Unlike the barblock you don't plan to get hit as much as you can, but deflect as much damage as possible while dropping fireballs etc.

Quoxis
2017-07-29, 07:04 AM
If you cast Armor of Agathys and then cast Mirror Image, do your images have the Armor on them as well?

Them being hit wouldn't hurt the attacker, but as the spell is written your duplicates are made so it's "impossible to track which image is real", so i'd say they look like having ice armor on them too, as the opposite would render it pretty much useless, which i think isn't intended.

Talionis
2017-07-30, 03:36 PM
Monk 1/Ranger3/Bladesinger. You can use Hunters Mark for single targets. Upcast Hail of thorns and the occasional Cure Wounds. Two weapon fighting.

Use Extra Attacks to throw Tomohawks. Tomohawk (hand axes) become finesse weapons because of Monk. Eventually you'll get Intelligence to your attack damage.

But mostly it's a tougher Wizard that feel like a skirmisher and Thrower. AC boost from Bladesinger stack on Unarmed Defense and you'll definitely max Dex and Intelligence.

Wood Elf for class. Bonus 1 to Wisdom helps to get multiclass 13 you need. I can see this being able to use the hide bonuses.

thereaper
2017-08-01, 09:07 AM
Honestly, just about any martial 5 / cleric 15. Clerics are reasonably good in melee already thanks to spiritual weapon and d8 HD, while most martials get most of their best stuff by 5th level (including extra attack). And Clerics are Wis-based, and who doesn't want a decent Wis this edition anyway?

Fighter means action surge and Battlemaster maneuvers.
Ranger means ensnaring strike and hunters mark.
Monk means flurry of blows and stunning strike.
Rogue means 3d6 sneak attack, expertise, cunning action, and uncanny dodge.

Heck, even Barbarian works with it, of all things. You can burn all your spell slots without caring, because once you're out you can rage without fear and enjoy that precast spiritual weapon, two attacks per round, and resistance. And with three rages, you can end one early to throw an emergency healing word if you have to.

Clerics are incredibly solid this edition.

ChampionWiggles
2017-08-07, 07:33 AM
I haven't played this, but the concept sounds fun.

Rogue 3/Sorcerer X (Arcane Assassin)

You take the assassin rogue and Draconic sorcerer and utilize Subtle Spell. Like the assassin rogue, it's usefulness comes a lot from getting the drop on the enemy, but Invisibility helps with that and once Greater Invisibility is an option, you stay hidden and blast from the shadows with your spells. The build can't even viably come online until lvl 6 at least, but it just sounds like a neat little concept.

Sneaking around a bandit camp or dungeon, them completely unaware due to your Invisibility. Right when you get into position, you cast a Subtle Scorching Ray and a bolt of fire pierces 3 targets through the chest, completely unaware.

Or you sneak into a bandit camp, enjoying the spoils of their latest plunder. Their celebration is cut short as you subtly cast Telekinesis safely from shadows and exert your mental will around one of the bandit's throats. He starts choking and his comrades thinks he just ate something too fast, but soon become horrified as he's lifted into the air, feet kicking. They start to think the ghosts of their victims have come back to haunt them and take vengeance.

Arcane Assassin was a custom build I had made on a roleplaying website that had its own battle system. Just the concept of an assassin using magic in place of weapons seemed cool. I know there's AT, but they are more a magical thief, not a magical assassin, at least to me.

Citan
2017-08-07, 07:52 AM

Hmm there are several, as soon as you ditch the idea of being a pure class or even 3/4 class...

For example, with Barbarian, usually casters would be counter-intuitive because casting/concentrating is out while raging. Yet...
- A Barbarian which went DEX-based (but still has decent STR) could grab Mage Armor, Mirror Image and Armor of Agathys / Fire Shield from a caster.
- A Barbarian which squeezed some WIS would benefit much from Bless or Shield of Faith. Even Spirit Guardians with a low WIS can do wonders to help a Barbarian be sticky when out of rage: specialize in Grappling/Shoving to keep people near you. Even if the auto-damage misses, just the difficult terrain effect can be put to great effect.
- Moon Druid but even Land can provide great options tactically, by wild shaping into forms with higher stealth or mobility.

More generally, most casters provide non-concentration spells which last a decent time and can significantly boost Barbarian, among which Longstrider, Jump, Aid, Armor of Agathys, etc...

More generally, any 2/3 level dip in a caster is great for any pure martial: gives them something to concentrate on and an array of options beyong just hitting. Each martial that can keep Bless, Shield of Faith, Enhance Ability, Faerie Fire, Fog Cloud, Heroism, Darkness, Silence etc frees the precious concentration slot of a fullcaster pal. Even better in Fighter case which is naturally better at concentrating.

Beyond that...
Monk / Paladin can be great, although it really shines only as a capstone.
But before then, in spite of the MADness and incompatibility of Martial Arts and increased speed with armor and such, most Monk abilities can actually be used nevertheless: Dodge/Disengage/Dash as bonus action, catch arrows reaction, Stunning Strike, magical strikes, and Way features. This makes Long Death (level 3 dip) and Shadow (4+ multiclass) especially good with this multiclass, since you can use their features without having a high WIS.

Wizard / Cleric too, base features complement each other well and they have some nasty combination such as Evoker / Tempest, Bladesinger / Light or Trickery, Abjurer / Life etc...

In fact, the most I think about it, the most my general feeling is that, provided you think a minimum about it, you could make any dual-class work efficiently. :)