PDA

View Full Version : Dex EK: which of these items should I have attuned ?

The Shadowdove
2017-07-26, 12:59 AM
I have a few items acquired for my Adventurer's League character and am trying to decide which to have as my primary 3 attuned items.

Rapier of lifestealing
Ring of protection +1
Cloak of displacement
Ring of spell storing
Boots of elvenkind
Ring of evasion
Winged Boots
Bracers of defense
Ioun stone of regeneration

He has a +1 rapier but hasn't won any shields yet. Will probably trade some of the remain items to other characters or players at our local games/events.

Thanks!

Azgeroth
2017-07-26, 06:58 AM
Cloak of displacement
Ring of spell storing
Winged Boots

jaappleton
2017-07-26, 07:02 AM
Cloak of Displacement is a must. That thing being only Rare and not Very Rare should be considered a crime.

mephnick
2017-07-26, 07:02 AM
I guess AL threw the supposed "magic items are rare" doctrine out the window...How did you get all those? Is that normal for AL?

Those are all ridiculously strong items, but I agree with Azgeroth's picks.

mephnick
2017-07-26, 07:03 AM
Cloak of Displacement is a must. That thing being only Rare and not Very Rare should be considered a crime.

I don't even put it on my loot tables until 15+

Specter
2017-07-26, 07:03 AM
Cloak of displacement
Ring of spell storing

The Shadowdove
2017-07-26, 09:31 AM
I guess AL threw the supposed "magic items are rare" doctrine out the window...How did you get all those? Is that normal for AL?

Those are all ridiculously strong items, but I agree with Azgeroth's picks.

I lucked out really. Kind players and lucky rolls against others who wanted items.

Usually an Adventurer's League game has a magical item at the end. Most adventures only have items like brooch of shielding, wand of.magic detection, or ring of swimming, lantern of revealing, eyes of minute seeing, and stuff like that at the end.

The person with the least magic items gets it, or ties roll for it.

People can also pass on items if they feel it's not what their characters need or they're feeling generous.

People took pity on me at events because it was my first character and let me have the item twice, I rolled for a few, and I happened to show up at comic stores or event tables that had good items.

For whatever reason the wizards of the coast folks gave the Adventure authors the go ahead on sneaking in a particularly good item every handful of Adventures.

Most of those are from tier 2 (levels 5-11) games.

The cloak of displacement was from an adventure designed for 5 level 8 players. I believe the DM upped the CR (APL) by adding more monsters even because one of our players was level 10.

The most shocking thing was that Adventurer's League is very against flying at low levels. Flying races at level 1 are not allowed. However, I got the winged boots from a tier 1 (levels 1-4) adventure toward the end of the second season quests for that level range.

Citan
2017-07-26, 03:56 PM
I have a few items acquired for my Adventurer's League character and am trying to decide which to have as my primary 3 attuned items.

Rapier of lifestealing
Ring of protection +1
Cloak of displacement
Ring of spell storing
Boots of elvenkind
Ring of evasion
Winged Boots
Bracers of defense

He has a +1 rapier but hasn't won any shields yet. Will probably trade some of the remain items to other characters or players at our local games/events.

Thanks!
1. Ring of Spell Storing. No argue on that. Either boost your own spellcasting, or ask your caster pal to put some nice spells in there (like, emergency Healing Words, or be the one that takes care of Bless so your Cleric pal can maintain Spirit Guardians).

2. Cloak of Displacement: IIRC it gives you advantage on saves? Cannot pass on that.

3. Rapier of Lifestealing: every other item is nice, but EK has...
- lots of attacks.
- little self-healing.
- no way to gain THP by himself AKAIK.
IIRC, the effect triggers only on a roll of 20. So it may or not seem worth to you. But if you have at least 3 attacks per turn, I'd say it's worth it. 10 extra damage and 10 THP for you won't seem much, but should make a difference in the long run. If you are level 14+ with Haste, it's up to 5 attacks per turn.
If you don't like the gamble aspects, then go for Winged Boots if you think you'll know how to use them, or fallback on the sure-bet Bracers of Defense.

jaappleton
2017-07-26, 04:37 PM
2. Cloak of Displacement: IIRC it gives you advantage on saves? Cannot pass on that.

Attacks against you have Disadvantage. If you take damage, the effect ends until the start of your next turn.

Citan
2017-07-26, 05:47 PM
Attacks against you have Disadvantage. If you take damage, the effect ends until the start of your next turn.
Thanks.
Hmm. Not as good as I thought, but still nice. Could be enough to divert enough attacks to make using Shield a waste (like, only the last attack of a series hit).

djreynolds
2017-07-27, 03:24 AM
Cloak of displacement
Ring of spell storing
Winged Boots

These are good choices

winged boots, so good

Cloak of displacement, better than casting blur. But you do have blur you could cast here?

I like the ring of spell storing, which I believe exponentially increases in value if you have someone other than your EK filling it... like hold monster from the wizard with a 20 intelligence and +6 proficiency

A rapier +1, needs no attunement

BUT the Ioun stone is legendary, keep this

So, IMO

rapier +1, no attunement
winged boots, 4 hours a day
Ioun stone of regeneration (LEGENDARY)
ring of spell storing, have someone else fill it for you

give up the cloak, you can cover down with blur or protection from evil/good and the shield spell
boots of elvenkind... give them to the rogue or ranger, and grab invisibility possibly
bracers can go to someone else
ring of protection +1 is nice, but you cannot have it all
ring of evasion, grab the lucky feat, get indomitable at 9th, use the absorb elements spell

special note

Ioun stone of regeneration (LEGENDARY), keep this, you could possibly short rest (a lot) to come near the healing benefits.... but this could be used to get you out trouble.... like.... as a bargaining chip later down the line

The Shadowdove
2017-10-26, 08:58 PM
I went with boots of flying and cloak of displacement as my go to attunement items. I haven't landed on a third yet. I also have a +2 rapier I'm using now.

In the meantime I have picked up a periapt of wound closure and sentinel shield.

I'm thinking of trading my bracers of defense (+2 AC). Trade, or use? It'd make me super tanky.

Still no magical light armor.