PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dwarf that Grants a Bonus Feat: Where in Dragon Magazine is this?

Endarire
2017-07-26, 01:17 AM
Greetings, all!

Years ago I recall reading "Dragon" where some Dwarf (sub)race got a Human-like bonus feat. What issue and page is that from?

Thankee!

manyslayer
2017-07-26, 11:40 AM
Dragon 320, page 85. Exiled Dwarf from World of Warcraft III article.

Endarire
2017-07-26, 08:24 PM
Thankee!

I somehow thought they kept their Darkvision. What official races (not templates) exist (even in the magazines) that grant a Human-like bonus feat and Darkvision for 0 level adjustment?

Darrin
2017-07-27, 08:28 AM
I somehow thought they kept their Darkvision. What official races (not templates) exist (even in the magazines) that grant a Human-like bonus feat and Darkvision for 0 level adjustment?

I don't think there aren't any "out of the box" races that combine darkvision with a human-like bonus feat. However, there are a couple workarounds:

A human, azurin, or strongblood halfing that becomes a Dragonborn of Bahamut can select the Mind aspect and gain darkvision 30', which gradually improves to 120' with blindsense 30'. As per Races of the Dragon page 10, "If your original race granted you a nonspecific bonus feat (such as the one gained by a human at 1st level), any feat can be lost, so long as it is not a prerequisite for another feat you have." (emphasis added). This means you can lose any bonus feat you have acquired via class features, such as Track (from Ranger 1), Tower Shield Proficiency (from Fighter 1), Heavy Armor Proficiency (Fighter 1 again), etc. A list of base class dips with bonus feats can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16967823&postcount=7).

A frostblood orc/half-orc (Dragon Magic) gains Endurance as a bonus feat, but if they gain Endurance later as a bonus feat, they can pick any other feat for which they qualify. For example, a frostblood half-orc taking Ranger 3 would gain a "bonus feat" instead of Endurance, and this is functionally equivalent to gaining a human bonus feat. Undying Way Monk 2 (Unearthed Arcana) also gets Endurance as a monk bonus feat. This feature can also be used to "time" a bonus feat to satisfy certain oddball feats with prereqs that fall between the typical 3rd/6th/9th level checkpoints, such as Improved Natural Attack. Also, if you're using the Mystic Ranger variant (Dragon #336), you pick up Endurance at level 4, exactly where you might want to take Sword of the Arcane Order (Champions of Valor).