PDA

View Full Version : List of book from MM3 era?

Marcloure
2017-07-26, 01:34 AM
-> Frist of all, the Open Grave particularly. Judging by the formatting of monsters stat blocks in the book, it is from the MM1 and 2 era. But are the monsters there any good? If I just recalculate the math, will they be fine?

Now the real thing. Is there a list of books from pre and post MM3 era? I know that Dark Sun Monster Catalog, and both Monster Vault and Monster Vault: [...] Nentir Vale are more recent. Is there anyother else? Also, maybe the frist released number of Dungeon/Dragon magazines after the MM3?

Thanks.

MoutonRustique
2017-07-26, 01:48 PM
-> Frist of all, the Open Grave particularly. Judging by the formatting of monsters stat blocks in the book, it is from the MM1 and 2 era. But are the monsters there any good? If I just recalculate the math, will they be fine?

Now the real thing. Is there a list of books from pre and post MM3 era? I know that Dark Sun Monster Catalog, and both Monster Vault and Monster Vault: [...] Nentir Vale are more recent. Is there anyother else? Also, maybe the frist released number of Dungeon/Dragon magazines after the MM3?

Thanks.With regards to books, the easiest way is to look at the date of publication.
IIRC:
MM3, MV, MVtfNV, Darksun Creature Catalogue, Neverwinter - are sources from after.

MM1, MM2, Open Grave, Draconomicon (I and II), Manual of the Planes, Secrets of the Plan Below (and Above), Forgotten Realms, Eberron Campaing - are sources from before.

As to your true question:
TL;DR - Yes.

The things to look out for are errors in design (often seen in MM1) that can make some mechanics nonsensical. But these will be quickly apparent - so no worries there.

Another thing to look out for are over-punishing (or over-healing) mechanics that can drag down play... you know what, I've got the book over there : I'll give it a look over and give you an informed opinion in 15 min.

MoutonRustique
2017-07-26, 02:11 PM
So after a very quick review, two things are worth mention:

A) Wow! There are some cool and creepy crawlers in there! Thank you for making me revisit that book!

B) Most everything looks fine with the usual caveats : solo's don't work as the whole of the encounter, things that [stun] should be used sparsely, monster healing is now considered poor form, etc

C) (ok three things) I would have a great time re-designing most of the critters in there to suit my tastes - there are mechanics I find clunky, some others are in poor form, others won't give the results at the table that were probably meant, etc, etc. But I'm one of those that have a very hard time not tinkering with stuff.

On the whole, the monsters are creepy as "the letter after the fifth one"!
There are a very good slew of engaging mechanics.
Pretty much everything in there is worth keeping (which is high praise indeed!) - with some tweaks, of course. ;)

VERDICT: a "direct MM3 adjustment" should prove quite adequate in bringing great terror and disgust to your players.

Beoric
2017-07-26, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Demonomicon is also post-MM3, as is The Book of Vile Darkness and The Shadowfell. Tomb of Horrors, Gardmore Abbey, and the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide.

Dungeon 183-185 use MM3 stat blocks but I don't think they updated the math. I think they started updating the math in 186.

MoutonRustique
2017-07-26, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Demonomicon is also post-MM3, as is The Book of Vile Darkness and The Shadowfell. Tomb of Horrors, Gardmore Abbey, and the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide.

Dungeon 183-185 use MM3 stat blocks but I don't think they updated the math. I think they started updating the math in 186.Quite right. I'll edit the faulty information.

Marcloure
2017-07-26, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone.

About messing with the monsters powers, I usually don't have to much time to design the encounters before the play, then I just don't choose any monster that doesn't seem good enough. Sometimes though, I merge two similar poor monsters into one, to have more variety of powers without piling up enemies, or quickly implement some simple power, for instance, one that gives vulnerability to the main type of damage dealt. So far, I'm managing to get things going. But thank you for the tips anyway.