PDA

View Full Version : Deific Obedience- Help!

ArendK
2017-07-26, 07:59 AM
So I'm looking at building a few characters heavily influenced from their deity and I stumbled across the "Deific Obedience" Feat and the Divine Paragon archetype; combined with the Evangelist prestige class, this has my hopes up for making a functional character with a lot of specific abilities linked to their deity. But since Hero Labs brain broke when I was tinkering with it, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Combining everything;
Divine Paragon gives me the feat and an automatic progression based off my cleric level for any of the three paths I want (Exalted, Evangelist, or Sentinel).
Evangelist, once i qualify, gets me into the evangelist path WHILE progressing my original class -1 level.

So in theory, I should be able to have both Evangelist and either Sentinel or Exalted with this, correct?

Psyren
2017-07-26, 09:42 AM
I'm not so sure that excerpt applies. It seems to be referring to characters who just take the feat itself, rather than those who have an ability like Devoted Domain that grants the feat+.

Even if you rule that that passage applies to a DP, it only says you lose Exalted boons. So if you took Sentinel Boons instead as a DP and then entered Evangelist, you should be able to keep both S-boons and Ev-boons, at least by RAW.

ArendK
2017-07-26, 10:21 AM
I'm not so sure that excerpt applies. It seems to be referring to characters who just take the feat itself, rather than those who have an ability like Devoted Domain that grants the feat+.

Even if you rule that that passage applies to a DP, it only says you lose Exalted boons. So if you took Sentinel Boons instead as a DP and then entered Evangelist, you should be able to keep both S-boons and Ev-boons, at least by RAW.

This started out deceptively simple, and the more I dug into it, the more confusing it became.

Psyren
2017-07-26, 11:50 AM
I don't see any exceptions in the Devoted Domain class feature that are relevant to the question.

I wasn't referring to exceptions; rather, I wasn't sure that your quote applies at all. Your quote says:

"If you have no levels in one of these prestige classes, you gain the boons marked as exalted boons."

This is very clearly and obviously overridden by the specific provision in DP:

"For her other domain, she gains only its domain spells—she does not gain any of the granted powers of that domain. Instead, she must choose from the evangelist, exalted, or sentinel boons granted by her deity."

DP isn't a PrC, so you should be stuck with Exalted Boons, but DP explicitly says that you can choose from all three. Your quote then goes on to say:

"If you later take levels in sentinel or evangelist, you lose access to the exalted boons..."

"The exalted boons" in that quote, refers to the ones you get by default from taking DO without a PrC. But DP already overrode those. By contrast, it could have said "any exalted boons" rather than "the" Hence why I think your quote doesn't apply as a whole; it's referring to something that, for the Paragon, simply does not exist.