PDA

View Full Version : multiclass problem

Mage keeper
2017-07-26, 09:43 AM
So i would like to play a totem barbarian/paladin with the oath of ancients, any suggestion?
How many level would you take in both classes?

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-26, 09:51 AM
What are the features that you want from each of these subclasses? That may shape how far you go into each.

That being said, when choosing to multi-class two martial classes, you generally don't want to go to level 5 in both, since multi-attack doesn't stack. So generally, you're only going to about level 3 in one class, and then finishing the other. But if you want the level 6 feature from both, then it might just be something that you deal with.

Mage keeper
2017-07-26, 10:18 AM
the features i want are totem barbarian 5 for the ber totem and resistnce to everything and paladin oath of ancient 7 for the chrism bonus to my ally saves

Potato_Priest
2017-07-26, 10:43 AM
the features i want are totem barbarian 5 for the ber totem and resistnce to everything and paladin oath of ancient 7 for the chrism bonus to my ally saves

You get bear totem at lvl 3, so I'd reccomend starting with paladin to level 5-11, then multiclassing 3 levels in barbarian before finishing paladin.

If you go to paladin 5 and then dip, you'll have multiattack and not much else when you're leveling barb.

If you take paladin to 7, you'll have extra attack and both your auras when you go into barbarian.

If you take paladin to 11 before dipping, you'll get extra attack, both auras, and improved divine smite before you go into barbarian.

smcmike
2017-07-26, 11:45 AM

Beat totem resistance is at Barbarian 3.
Charisma bonus to saves is Aura of Protection at Paladin 6. It is not tied to Oath of Ancients.

Oath of Ancients 7 gives you Aura of Warding, for resistance to spells. This is partially redundant with Bear Totem.

From a purely optimization standpoint, Paladin/Barbarian is not a very good paring, and Ancients/Bear is a particularly bad combo (Berserker/Devotion had a similar redundancy problem).

If you just like the theme, I would consider Paladin 18/Barbarian 2.

Lombra
2017-07-26, 12:20 PM
Some general tips:
-Delaying extra attack is a big deal for martial characters.
-Getting extra attack from two classes is a big waste since it doesn't stack.

That being said, it looks like your concept can work with a barbarian 3/ paladin X.

Following the previous tips, I'd go paladin 5 or 7 asap and then immediatly dip barbarian for three levels. Depending on the level that your character will reach, you can choose to bring barbarian to 4 for the ASI.

Chugger
2017-07-26, 01:43 PM
Rage doesn't work well w/ heavy armor - many features of it don't, iirc (don't have my phb handy - maybe someone who does or who has a great memory can help me out as to which ones). This is another reason why barb/pal is not nec a great combo. I guess to make it work the Pal would need to rely on Dex (which means the big nasty 2handers aren't going to be effective for you, they are Str based - unless you've been allowed to roll an improbably high-statted char) - and use med. armor. Maybe get the feat to get a +3 to ac w/ med (it's capped at +2 w/out feat - med armor mastery iirc). But if you go med armor/finesse weapons, what happens when +2 or +3 heavy armor - like plate - is found by your party? What happens when str-oriented magic weapons are found? How often do magic rapiers show up in your campaign? All things to consider. You can make pal/barb work I think - just know what you're getting into.

smcmike
2017-07-26, 02:07 PM
Rage doesn't work well w/ heavy armor - many features of it don't, iirc (don't have my phb handy - maybe someone who does or who has a great memory can help me out as to which ones). This is another reason why barb/pal is not nec a great combo. I guess to make it work the Pal would need to rely on Dex (which means the big nasty 2handers aren't going to be effective for you, they are Str based - unless you've been allowed to roll an improbably high-statted char) - and use med. armor. Maybe get the feat to get a +3 to ac w/ med (it's capped at +2 w/out feat - med armor mastery iirc). But if you go med armor/finesse weapons, what happens when +2 or +3 heavy armor - like plate - is found by your party? What happens when str-oriented magic weapons are found? How often do magic rapiers show up in your campaign? All things to consider. You can make pal/barb work I think - just know what you're getting into.

Barbarian loses more from using Dex to attack than it loses from wearing heavy armor. Better solution: do neither, like most barbarians.

Citan
2017-07-26, 03:44 PM
So i would like to play a totem barbarian/paladin with the oath of ancients, any suggestion?
How many level would you take in both classes?
Hey ;)

Ok, so, first: don't worry about guys telling that Barb/Paladin is a bad multiclass, because it's not.
You just have to be wary of two things:
- you can't cast (or maintain) spells while raging. So either play bipolar (Rage or spells) or use slots on Smite.
- you can't use heavy armor.
Beyond that, no problem.

I'm not sure why you would go Ancients Oath except for fluff if you go Totem Bear Barbarian, because that would be quite the redundancy. Now if you take Wolf, that's another thing. ;)

I'd probably advise you to go Bear Barb 3 / Devotion Paladin 5 as your first goal though. Why?
1. You want a character concept that ultimately require a balance between two classes, so you don't want to aim for features that are too "far" into the leveling of one class. For example, if you want to be resistant, although Bear is lesser than Aura of Warding you will get it much much earlier if you want to achieve your multiclass concept.
2. Devotion's Sacred Weapon costs an action, so you can pair it with your Rage as a preparation turn for the biggest fights (also can be refluffed easily as a manifestation of your inner rage ;)).

I'd probably start Paladin (WIS saves is gravy, you won't use concentration spells most of the time anyways so CON save is less interesting here).
Then immediately grab one level of Barbarian because it is core to the concept.
Then back to Paladin immediately to go as far as getting Extra Attack.
Then...
a) You face a lot of casters > priority to Aura of Protection.
b) Other cases > priority to Bear totem.
Once you got one, immediately pursue the other.
Once you got both, do what you want. ;)
- Up Barbarian: having a redundant Extra Attack is a bit sad, but may be worth it as a step on the road to Feral Instinct at level 7 (and better rage, one more rage, lvl 6 Totem).
- Up Paladin: gaining better spellcasting may seem a bad idea since it increases your "bipolarity", but level 3 spells can be perfectly well used out of combat, and it means better fuel anyways. Plus the Improved Divine SMite of level 11 is very nice.
- Fork to Battlemaster 3: to get better use of your few Smites.
- Fork to Warlock 3+: to Smite more often and harder

Anwyays, once you are Barb 3 / Paladin 5, some of your usual tactics will be...
- mundane normal/hard fight: nothing or Bless.
- mundane tought fight: either Rage Or Sacred Weapon.
- big fight: both.

PeteNutButter
2017-07-26, 08:54 PM
Barbarian/Paladin is actually quite strong. Paladin's biggest damage dealing feature is his smites. Most paladin spells cast for the majority of your career would be concentration spells anyways. Rage just replaces your concentration spell (when you use it), and doesn't stop you from smiting.

I'd start barbarian 1 for more hp and con saves (for when you're not raging, and want to concentrate), then go paladin to 6ish, then back to barbarian to 4 before continuing paladin. Delaying extra attack by one level isn't too bad, and that way you get to have the feel of your character (righteous wrath) without having to wait to level 7. Stats are a little tight, since you'll want a 14 dex, 16 str, and a decent con and cha, making half elf a good choice (or even regular human, eek).

djreynolds
2017-07-27, 02:05 AM
There is no issue, seriously

Reckless attack, coupled with smites... heck throw in 3 levels of champion too

I like oath of ancients and totem as they go nicely together flavor wise, be it bear, wolf, etc

I think bear/ancients would be cool, overkill, but who cares

But oath of the crown might be better, Champion challenge and turn the tide... but divine allegiance is cool but wasted with rage as you cannot reduce this particular damage

I think their opportunities here

Aid is a spell to be cast at the beginning of the day
Oath of the crown has warding bond... no concentration.

Devotion and ancients both have good auras for the team,

Reckless attack and rage will make up for a lower strength until you can boost it

Just make sure the party has plenty of other players with the sentinel feat

Phelan Boots
2017-07-27, 05:53 PM
Ancestral Guardian pairs nicely with Ancients in UA is an option. Give the big bad disadvantage on its attacks and give your companions resistance to spells.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-27, 10:52 PM

Next question: why do you want these features? Is it worth postponing other class features? By the time you get them, is it worth the dip at all?