PDA

View Full Version : Magic item tradability

bloodgroove
2017-07-26, 10:02 AM
Under what circumstances are magic items untradeable? I know items you purchase from your factions are but no sure what else makes
an item untradeable.

Thanks to everyone in advance...

youtellatale
2017-07-26, 10:14 AM
Under what circumstances are magic items untradeable? I know items you purchase from your factions are but no sure what else makes
an item untradeable.

Thanks to everyone in advance...

This will come down to a table-by-table answer, at least I'd expect it to. Personally if someone wants to trade a magic item then kudos, they can trade it for whatever value they can get. That'd be my table though so YMMV.

Finger6842
2017-07-26, 11:34 AM
At my table...

*An unresolved cursed item is not tradable, a resolved one can be sold per the rules below but there will be consequences.
*Inside the party at my table you can trade at will
*To sell an item roll d100, buyer on: (village 98+, town 90+, city 70+) only 1 roll per village, city, or town allowed per week. Offer price is d100 % + CHA bonus +15 village, 25 town or 35 city, max is 100%
*Magic items are rarely sold to players unless they are a plot device. I prefer to give them as campaign rewards.

Christian
2017-07-26, 11:55 AM
Fairly sure from some terms in the OP that he's asking about Adventurer's League rules. If so, nothing I can contribute will be any more helpful than the first two responses were. :)

OP, please confirm. And if my guess is correct, you may want to be more explicit on future AL questions, as only a minority of the board members are involved in organized play. Most of us just do disorganized play, er I mean home games.

bloodgroove
2017-07-26, 12:28 PM
OOPS! My bad. I do mean Adventurer's League rules. I will be sure to state AL rules in my future posts.
thanks...

The Shadowdove
2017-07-26, 12:46 PM
You can trade like rarity items in Adventurer's league.

DM reward items and faction items cannot be traded

If you were to trade via the Facebook group for example, it'd cost you each 10 downtime to trade an item.

Trading an item between your own characters costs them each 10 downtime.

Trading between players who are at the same location as you, aka the same table, it costs no downtime to trade same rarity items.

Also, you no longer need certificates to trade items from earlier seasons and adventurers that do not provide a certificate for the item you earned. This is as long as you have it recorded in the notes section that you gained said magical item from the Adventure.

furby076
2017-07-26, 11:05 PM
At my table...

*An unresolved cursed item is not tradable, a resolved one can be sold per the rules below but there will be consequences.
*Inside the party at my table you can trade at will
*To sell an item roll d100, buyer on: (village 98+, town 90+, city 70+) only 1 roll per village, city, or town allowed per week. Offer price is d100 % + CHA bonus +15 village, 25 town or 35 city, max is 100%
*Magic items are rarely sold to players unless they are a plot device. I prefer to give them as campaign rewards.

Your percentage math seems unfair. Magic items are rare, so rare they are rarely sold in your game. In that case, they should easily go over 100%...those things are in demand, and nobody wants to part with them. Also, cha bonus is a weak increase for d100. Id do it charisma score. Face it, someone with 18 cha should easily be able to negotiate 18%. Heck, ive negotiated 18% discount and premium and i dont got 18 cha

Finger6842
2017-07-26, 11:52 PM
Your percentage math seems unfair. Magic items are rare, so rare they are rarely sold in your game. In that case, they should easily go over 100%...those things are in demand, and nobody wants to part with them. Also, cha bonus is a weak increase for d100. Id do it charisma score. Face it, someone with 18 cha should easily be able to negotiate 18%. Heck, ive negotiated 18% discount and premium and i dont got 18 cha

You are absolutely correct, being a Bard with a 20 CHA, I argued for more and the DM agreed. The results were less than optimal. The DM gave a lot more but we learned rich players that don't have expensive goals experience boredom.

We give a lot of uncommon items as campaign rewards. What we found over time is players will sell 5 or more items and then look to buy a specific rare with the proceeds. We tend to keep the global economy a little low to limit these issues. This way we don't stop it but do slow it down to more appropriate levels. We instead encourage downtime activities to search for what the PCs want. Looking for Gauntlets of Ogre Power? Lets do research, roll once a week to "find a lead". Rumor is there's a set in the Phandelver area. 5 levels later there they are closing out the mines, still looking for them. It's our brand of plot hook which would fail if the player can just buy a pair. We are conscientious enough to both have the item acquisition be possible, though not guaranteed. We also want everyone to spend gold, obtain a home, improve the local area, etc. I don't do evil campaigns, it's just not my thing because I don't find any motivation to "burn everything". If you want your god to answer, build him or her a temple, pay a priest. Want a Paladin or Priest in your party? Help them with their cause. The same principles apply to any background, race, or class.

In our current campaign we have 5 PC's, all of us have research or training in progress. At level 14 each of us has received a free Feat based on what skills we use on a regular basis. Each of us is building something. It all takes money and keeps us spelunking. At level 10 we became Patrons of another adventuring group, Essentially rolling a new level 1 character that we are responsible for and, more importantly, support. I DM the younger group and the more experienced DM handles the senior group. The rules are his but I like them because so far they work well. It's a fun group. I wish I was an author, the stories are collaborative and the world seems alive

Edit
I completely omitted the "who in this town has enough gold" logic. Most NPC's simply aren't wealthy and those who are would likely try to take it by force rather than pay for it.

Saeviomage
2017-07-26, 11:58 PM
You are absolutely correct, being a Bard with a 20 CHA, I argued for more and the DM agreed. The results were less than optimal. The DM gave a lot more but we learned rich players that don't have expensive goals experience boredom.

I'm not sure how one of those things leads to the other. Rich characters have adventures to go on. They can just afford nicer mundane items, and can range further afield.

furby076
2017-07-27, 10:36 PM

We give a lot of uncommon items as campaign rewards. What we found over time is players will sell 5 or more items and then look to buy a specific rare with the proceeds. We tend to keep the global economy a little low to limit these issues. This way we don't stop it but do slow it down to more appropriate levels. We instead encourage downtime activities to search for what the PCs want. Looking for Gauntlets of Ogre Power? Lets do research, roll once a week to "find a lead". Rumor is there's a set in the Phandelver area. 5 levels later there they are closing out the mines, still looking for them. It's our brand of plot hook which would fail if the player can just buy a pair. We are conscientious enough to both have the item acquisition be possible, though not guaranteed. We also want everyone to spend gold, obtain a home, improve the local area, etc. I don't do evil campaigns, it's just not my thing because I don't find any motivation to "burn everything". If you want your god to answer, build him or her a temple, pay a priest. Want a Paladin or Priest in your party? Help them with their cause. The same principles apply to any background, race, or class.

In our current campaign we have 5 PC's, all of us have research or training in progress. At level 14 each of us has received a free Feat based on what skills we use on a regular basis. Each of us is building something. It all takes money and keeps us spelunking. At level 10 we became Patrons of another adventuring group, Essentially rolling a new level 1 character that we are responsible for and, more importantly, support. I DM the younger group and the more experienced DM handles the senior group. The rules are his but I like them because so far they work well. It's a fun group. I wish I was an author, the stories are collaborative and the world seems alive

Edit
I completely omitted the "who in this town has enough gold" logic. Most NPC's simply aren't wealthy and those who are would likely try to take it by force rather than pay for it.

This sounds more interesting (very) and fun. My dm tailors items, so really no random "oh look we found a trident of the seas.....so, anyone remember the last time we saw light out of the underdark, let alone an ocean?" :)

I am all for crafting and looking for components for uncommon....maybe rare....but beyond that, its time to quest. Holy avenger? They dont make those anymore....so better fjnd one, or save a gods life so he can make you one :)

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 12:54 AM
This sounds more interesting (very) and fun. My dm tailors items, so really no random "oh look we found a trident of the seas.....so, anyone remember the last time we saw light out of the underdark, let alone an ocean?" :)

I am all for crafting and looking for components for uncommon....maybe rare....but beyond that, its time to quest. Holy avenger? They dont make those anymore....so better fjnd one, or save a gods life so he can make you one :)

Tailored items are awesome, and dangerous, so of course I love them. I once received a ring that turned Bardic inspiration into a cantrip which basically allowed me to spam it as my action. It seemed lack luster at first but I soon realized that the party members always had it available and if they used it I could still use my bonus action during the encounter to replenish it, five times. My second ring cast a homebrew Find Steed which summoned a female centaur. Originally it was intended to summon an Elephant which was more powerful but I convinced the DM that a centaur would be more thematic. The RP was significantly more fun, forcing me to befriend the centaur and later the whole party did a mini campaign to help her people with encroaching NPC's.

This is actually relevant to the OP because who wants to trade a tailored item.

Zene
2017-07-28, 01:32 AM
You can trade like rarity items in Adventurer's league.

DM reward items and faction items cannot be traded

If you were to trade via the Facebook group for example, it'd cost you each 10 downtime to trade an item.

Trading an item between your own characters costs them each 10 downtime.

Trading between players who are at the same location as you, aka the same table, it costs no downtime to trade same rarity items.

Also, you no longer need certificates to trade items from earlier seasons and adventurers that do not provide a certificate for the item you earned. This is as long as you have it recorded in the notes section that you gained said magical item from the Adventure.

Not 10 days; it's 15 days per trade. Otherwise this info is correct. Also: Items of "unique" rarity cannot be traded, and items without a listed rarity cannot be traded without a cert. And there's a thing called Fai Chen's Fantastical Faire at some conventions, which has its own slightly different trading rules.