PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing Oath/RP

Nidgit
2017-07-26, 02:41 PM
Hi there, I'm new here but I've found some good advice from lurking before so I'm hoping someone can give me some tips.

I'm playing a Half-orc Paladin that just hit Level 3 and I'm struggling to decide between the Oath of the Ancients and Oath of Devotion for both roleplay and effectiveness purposes.

We're playing in a world with a theocratic empire worshipping Belenus and scorning all other gods. Backstory makes implies that this was done in Belenus's name but doesn't necessarily have his willing approval. My character was raised from birth in a human/elven monastery worshipping Belenus but ran away after witnessing his mentor's death at the hands of the monastery's abbot. He's got cause to reject the teachings based on the dissonance he sees with the outside world, but he also holds those teachings very dear. The other party members all worship exiled gods, if any.

My basic dilemma is whether to go for Devotion and pursue reforming the religion, or to go Ancients and work outside the established order to spread a more humble and wholesome form of worship. We haven't really played enough for me to get a firm grasp on my character so I'd be comfortable going either way. Devotion's compunction against lying is the only real hang-up I have since the party has been bluffing a lot and I don't want to cause more friction than I already am.

From a party balance/combat perspective, my stats are 18 STR, 12 DEX, 18 CON, 13 INT, 10 WIS, and 14 CHA (yes I rolled well). I'm going Sword & Board and am more or less functioning as the party tank.

My fellow party members are a Draconic Sorcerer, Lore Bard, Circle of Land (Desert) Druid, and DPR-focused Hunter Ranger. With two short games under my belt I'm more experienced than the rest of them, so I'm trying to fill in the gaps a bit. Ancients might trod on the Druid's and Ranger's toes too much.

Any advice or ideas between the two would be a huge help. Since it's most everyone's first game I'm probably going to try and avoid multiclassing or UA material for a while, so don't bother bringing up too much about that.

Thanks!

suplee215
2017-07-26, 03:02 PM
I'll personally go Oath of the Ancients, especially as you are trying to break the status quo which Oath of Devotion doesn't bring to mind. Also, on one hand you could be "stepping on the Druid and Ranger's toes", on the other you could be giving your party a strong nature theme.

Nidgit
2017-07-27, 03:46 PM
Good point, I can try to work some nature themes into my character somewhere. Doubling down on tankiness isn't a bad idea, and I can maybe do something with powerful orcish emotions and celebrating life.

The Ship's dog
2017-07-27, 04:00 PM
Oath of Ancients can also really help with controlling and give the Paladin the 4e Warden-style combat. Namely, get into a big bunch of people and never let them leave....ever.

The Oath of Ancients gets Ensnaring Strike, which is great for this. One of my personal favourite combos with a tank with ES, is to get into a bunch of people, hit them with Extra Attack and then use ES afterwards. This means that anyone that tries to run will eat an OA and may be restrained as a result, meaning that the other enemies around you may be wary of trying to run.

ImproperJustice
2017-07-27, 11:21 PM
Just throwing this out there:

Could you take Oath of Vengeance and direct it towards the corrupted teachers of your faith?
It would be a more intense direction, but could fit in line with where your campaign is going?

Otherwise, Ancients seems like the easiest choice.

Nidgit
2017-07-28, 10:57 AM
I've definitely considered Vengeance and all its goodies but I think that's darker than I want to go with this character for a couple different reasons. He's more or less meant to be a virtuous type who leads by example. I think he'd rather focus on improving the rep of the faith than punishing the leaders. It'll still be a great chance to break character and get serious when it finally happens though!

From a meta perspective, I think I'd rather be a team player and help the other newer players succeed themselves, which Vengeance doesn't really lend itself to.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I think I'm going to definitely go Ancients now that I've figured out how to work in the nature themes: from the sun! Looking forward to having a towering half-orc walking around with flowers in his hair.